Insurance glass limit.

MOJO

Free Member

Insurance glass replacement. Important to not have limits on the policy. We use CCC. No limits on windows. Our Hymer double glazed A class windows all in various states of condensation. Using their designated contractor all replaced with Hymer units costing £5,500 with no excess. No increase, we'll very little, at renewal last week. Screens and windows are expensive. Our policy says "windscreen and windows". Do others only cover windscreens?

I wouldn't expect misted up windows to be covered by insurance. You did well if you got the insurers to pay.
An A-Class windscreen can easily cost a lot more.
Windscreens that are bonded in and have holes for windscreen wipers can cost more than £7,000. A good reason to be careful not to buy such a motorhome!
"Normal" A-Class windscreens typically cost £2k to £3k.

I take it you mean the plastic habitation windows or do you mean the glass side windows in the driver area

Insurance glass replacement. Important to not have limits on the policy. We use CCC. No limits on windows. Our Hymer double glazed A class windows all in various states of condensation. Using their designated contractor all replaced with Hymer units costing £5,500 with no excess. No increase, we'll very little, at renewal last week. Screens and windows are expensive. Our policy says "windscreen and windows". Do others only cover windscreens?
You don’t say how they were damaged.
Are u Sure this wasn’t a warranty claim rather than insurance!!!

Last edited:
Hi can you put a link to the web site please thanks mark

Why not have them dried out like household ones are. It involved removal and holes made in the side seals and dry argon pumped through in warm conditions , then sealed again with a check of where it is damaged to allow moisture in in the first case. I would not be paying out for more deficient glass unit to just get the same again. Bad manufacture in the first place and what is the real advantage of them anyway, my Hymer does mist up but not to an extent that needs special windows the seem not to last.

Household double-glazed windows are sealed with silica gel around the edges. If the seals fail (often because they are too tight in the frame) the silica gets sodden and they mist up. So a hole has to be made before they can be dried out.
Motorhome windows are not normally sealed at all. They have a small vent in them. You could remove them and dry them out in a warm, dry atmosphere for a while. Cheaper and greener then replacing them!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back