Interesting read about the 90 days Schengen rule could be abolished for the UK

EU has said today that there are no plans to renegotiate a Treaty that has been agreed; and there is the small matter of there being 11 other countries who wish to join the EU as full members, so why would the EU waste time and energy with the UK who elected to leave the organisation? UK has not implemented the import/export protocols [4th or 5th successive deferral announced recently]

The Windsor Agreement went some way to repairing the deep mistrust that EU had over the UK, but there is no mention of our rejoining. Any discussions are confined to reviews of the areas of the Withdrawal Treaty where regular checks of the efficacy of the operational elements are required. Today's announcement was that there will be no renegotiation of the tariffs that import/export of Electrical Vehicles from UK will entail, because it would distort the market and EU is concerned only with protecting the regime within the EU Bloc

Steve

EU has said today that there are no plans to renegotiate a Treaty that has been agreed; and there is the small matter of there being 11 other countries who wish to join the EU as full members, so why would the EU waste time and energy with the UK who elected to leave the organisation? UK has not implemented the import/export protocols [4th or 5th successive deferral announced recently]

The Windsor Agreement went some way to repairing the deep mistrust that EU had over the UK, but there is no mention of our rejoining. Any discussions are confined to reviews of the areas of the Withdrawal Treaty where regular checks of the efficacy of the operational elements are required. Today's announcement was that there will be no renegotiation of the tariffs that import/export of Electrical Vehicles from UK will entail, because it would distort the market and EU is concerned only with protecting the regime within the EU Bloc

Steve
I fell asleep after the word today! Just wake me up when I can stay for more than 91 days🤣🤣

I fell asleep after the word today! Just wake me up when I can stay for more than 91 days🤣🤣
Elaine applied for an Irish Passport when Mr Blair started his ID Cards Campaign; so, as long as she doesn't fall asleep after the word 'today' and/or divorce me, I can continue to enjoy stays in Schengen without worrying about the 90 days calculation :ROFLMAO:

Steve

We have agreed to become associate members of the Horizon science scheme, to much acclaim from some quarters. That will allow us to access some of the funding and make it easier for EU scientists to work here and UK scientists to work abroad. ALL GOOD!
However, what they didn't mention in the fanfares of celebration is that UK will not be able to DECIDE which projects should take place: we have become "rule takers", which was always likely to be the situation once we left.

I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for freedom to roam for more than 90 days and if it does happen, I would expect other restrictions to be applied rather than the freedom which we once had.

Gordon

I must admit that I never holidayed in EU for more than 30 days BUT I did work legally in Spain for 6 months without any problem.

As the saying goes "It's in the Daily Mail so it must be true". Clearly nothing sexual has been going on in Parliament, and the Royle Family aren't doing anything for them to print.
I couldn't read what it said anyway because I had to agree to them coming into my house, removing my firstborn for a sacrifice and scouring every last electron in my computer to see what I like, what I have been watching, what I would like to receive adverts for, what is in my various Swiss Bank accounts and what I had for breakfast. I don't look at wwws that require all that stuff. It's just click bait.

Another reason why the chances of removing the 90/180 Days Rule are just about zero; EU offered 180 day Stay as part of the Withdrawal Agreement negotiations between October 2017 and January 2018, just as UK Gov was promoting its 'End Freedom of Movement' Campaign under the guise of being tough on immigration. UK Government eclined the offer, but left the 180 Days Stay in UK for EU visitors in place ...

Steve

......... UK Government eclined the offer, but left the 180 Days Stay in UK for EU visitors in place ...

Steve
Shows how desperate we are for EU visitors. When did you last see one? I can't imagine why a European would want to come here in their motorhome and pay £25 to £65 a night to park on someone's grass. They'll have to in order just to fill up with water. Once we have paid the ferry fee of just over £200 for our motorhome, it is cheaper to go to Europland than it is to stay here for a week. And they have long rivers which are landscaped to attract visitors, whereas we have supermarket trolleys and thorn bushes along our river banks.

Shows how desperate we are for EU visitors. When did you last see one? I can't imagine why a European would want to come here in their motorhome and pay £25 to £65 a night to park on someone's grass. They'll have to in order just to fill up with water. Once we have paid the ferry fee of just over £200 for our motorhome, it is cheaper to go to Europland than it is to stay here for a week. And they have long rivers which are landscaped to attract visitors, whereas we have supermarket trolleys and thorn bushes along our river banks.
The last time I saw a French visitor was about 4 weeks ago at our local Aldi and had a nice chat for over 1/2 hour. We told them about the Burntisland Leisure Centre Overnight Parking [about 300m away from us]and then exchanged addresses/emails/WhatsApp and phone numbers. We have an invitation to visit them on our next trip through France. The day after the shopping trip, I returned from my then latest Nurse Appointment to find a 'Thank You'note from our new friends ...

Steve

Well done Steve, Entente Cordiale - whatever that is, I think it's something to do with being friendly with the French. Or it's a syrup that you mix with something alcoholic

Well done Steve, Entente Cordiale - whatever that is, I think it's something to do with being friendly with the French. Or it's a syrup that you mix with something alcoholic
Entente Cordiale was something that the British holidaymakers pioneered when alongside French holidaymakers under canvas, shortly after 7pm [19:05 IIRC], but it never really took off ... Unlike the Hot Air Balloons ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

On a slight tangent, Standard & Poors published their EU Purchasing Managers Index on Thursday showing that German Industry was reining in 'production for stock' activity in response to falling German domestic demand because of consumer defensive response to inflation/living cost impact and also in response to increased interest rates affecting industrial profit margins. This may have an effect on Supply Chains to UK for things like M/Home spare parts etc, for the twin reasons of producers being able to supply European Markets tariff free and not having to incur the extra cost of deliveries via UK Customs Duites/Processing Times etc. Something to keep a watchful eye on ...

Steve

The last time I saw a French visitor was about 4 weeks ago at our local Aldi and had a nice chat for over 1/2 hour. ..........

Steve
Here, you had better watch that Steve. My daughter just got a £70 fine for parking in Aldi for Ihr 37mins. They have reduced the allowed parking time to 90 mins. Or to put it another way increased their parking revenue by 25%.
Mind you, I cannot imagine how you can spend 90 mins in Aldi . . . . .
. . . .and on the subject of obtaining spare parts for German motorhomes - I seem to remember it was impossible to obtain an item ( I think it was a washroom basin) from the manufacturer. They gave a list price but couldn't supply one. The plug hole had cracked around its circumference. In any case it was actually cheaper to find a local company that made things from fibreglass, give them the old one to make a mould with, then get them to make a new fibreglass basin.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back