inverter cables

cheyenne

Free Member

hi guys . just added another battery that 3 / 110ah gels i have now feeding a 2000w inverter . running the microwave no problem warming up pies say or like for about 5 minuets fans don't even cut in cables get a bit warm . put the 1500w coffee maker on about 7 to 10 minuets the red cable get hot & cooling fans cut in . do i need bigger cables from battery to inverter say 50mm mine are about 40mm i think . cheyenne

Those sound like huge cables to me, so something not right in the post, measuring or the kit.

hi guys just found some cable in the shed the smaller one on the left is the cable i have connecting my battery's to the inverter which as you can see is smaller (could be 35mm or 40mm ) the big cable says 50mm . do you think i would be better with the 50mm cable . cheyenne

DSC02892.JPGDSC02893.JPGDSC02891.JPG

Wait for David or Merl, that is not how you measure cable.

Do you have a protective fuse on the battery to inverter cable yet?
hi. yes bought one of these like you told me to . the red cable ( never the black ) starts to get warm then hot from the battery slowly up to the inverter when i have had 1500w running for 15minutes is this normal . the 4 cables that came with the inverter was not long enough so used my old ones . they where 35mm 2 red 2 black so do you think its because i didn't use the correct cables the came with the inverter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11551887...s=ispr=1&amdata=enc:12ndRR8NiT5KSjniDCBTigw23 . cheyenne

On the PC now so can see the cable pictures, which are actually 50mm2 (can't do superscript on this forum) I'm not an expert but that should be good for 250amps, my brain stops there but it seems overkill for 2000w.

On the PC now so can see the cable pictures, which are actually 50mm2 (can't do superscript on this forum) I'm not an expert but that should be good for 250amps, my brain stops there but it seems overkill for 2000w.
hi pudsey bear . thanks for that just looking at another youtube of the renogy 2000w & they all seem to be using to 35mm cables 2 of each color so i think i will send for 35mm cables & run it the same as the ones on you tube . cheyenne

If you already have 50mm2 then they are thicker/better than 35mm2.

The 2 means it is a measure of the cross sectional area of the copper core of the cable, 50 is bigger that 35 so no point in buying them.

If you already have 50mm2 then they are thicker/better than 35mm2.

The 2 means it is a measure of the cross sectional area of the copper core of the cable, 50 is bigger that 35 so no point in buying them.
hi pudsey bear . i haven't bought them yet but i was wondering why renogy give you 2 red 35mm & 2 black 35mm cable in the box & looking at youtube they all run the 2 each to the inverter which makes doubling up the 2 would be 70mm to each terminal instead of 50mm what do you think . cheyenne

I'm not sure, it all seems quite confusing to me but if you already have 35mm2 cable I don't see why you would need more, and certainly not if you have 50mm2, I'd hang on until someone with better electrical knowledge come along.

I'm not sure, it all seems quite confusing to me but if you already have 35mm2 cable I don't see why you would need more, and certainly not if you have 50mm2, I'd hang on until someone with better electrical knowledge come along.
pudsey bear . thanks for that the 35mm cables was just to short so i think i will just get longer 35mm like for like cheers . cheyenne

Knowing very little about this subject, so excuse what may seem a daft question.
Does the distance from inverter to battery need to be taken into account as well as the load placed on the cables?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back