Inverter sizing

hi,
reading this with interest.
I few thoughts from my own experience.
over the winter I removed gas completely from the motorhome and put in a bigger (460Ah) battery and a 3KW inverter.
This allowed me to upgrade to combi oven, induction hotplate, large fridge/freezer, domestic water heater, etc. and just back from 4 weeks in the alps with no issues.
I have a few solar panels on the roof and it all seemed to cope rather well.
but, with only 3KW, had to be careful about the hotplate and the oven and only use one at the time or the inverter would shut down momentarely.
but the Fridge/Freezer is the best thing we did. like being in a normal kitchen, lots of room for beer and ice cream :)
if anything, I would go up to 24V by adding another battery, I have seen that I can get different inverters for 24v that can go higher KW and allow for cooker and hotplate to be on at the same time.
all hte best and happy camping
I thought getting a Motorhome (very kindly sold to us at a bargain can't say no price by my late Aunty)
Would mean no more of the electric pfaffing after building our transit ....

Couple of years later and I've replaced the 1 flooded lead acid battery
With 3 x AGMs ...
400w of solar
Victron MPPT controller
Victron battery monitoring
Victron inverter to power domestic 240v fridge
Victron mains charger
Ring rscdc30 B2B (was combined solar but that bit failed )
Teltonika rut 950 mobile router with external antenna
Lift up amplified tv antenna
TV etc
Fitted a Eberspacher in place of the gas fire
Swapped the calor bottles for 2 x gaslow bottles

Seems I'm also an inveterate modifier ...

That said we now have a Motorhome that is actually capable of not needing introvenus electric hook up .
It never stops,does it

Nikki (very) often says, I'm spending money for the sake of it. TBH, this van bears little resemblance to the one I bought 5years ago. My hobby, and more importantly perhaps, my home 6 or 7 months a year, for the present anyway. At 75, I've no idea how much longer I can continue. Thankfully, the much maligned NHS, replaces any worn out bits for me.
The plan was 10 years, so I'm halfway through. Time to enjoy it, and stop "improving" it ? Easier to say than do, dunno.
Much as it pains me, I'll stick with the 3way, until it fails.
Maybe :unsure:
Just get the three way serviced by some one that knows what there doing it will last for years yet

Now you guys have it all wrong. If you take the likes of me 15 to 20 cold beers a day 6 slices of bacon some sausages usually 4 a coupla slices of black pudding and Two fried eggs .That’s breakfast out the way a nice cold lunch maybe a few sausage rolls some beans and a slice of apple pie. For Dinner a nice rib eye steak chips and pepper sauce……. you need a bigger fridge.

Now you guys have it all wrong. If you take the likes of me 15 to 20 cold beers a day 6 slices of bacon some sausages usually 4 a coupla slices of black pudding and Two fried eggs .That’s breakfast out the way a nice cold lunch maybe a few sausage rolls some beans and a slice of apple pie. For Dinner a nice rib eye steak chips and pepper sauce……. you need a bigger fridge.
And in most cases, a new wardrobe

@Trotter
You may find this useful, my mains fridges have been 100% reliable for the last four years.
I made the initial mistake of buying a totally inadequate Victron inverter but the Cotek has been brilliant, in power saving mode it draws about 200mA an hour.

So called A++ rated fridges no longer exist they mostly got an E under the new grading system best you will find now is a D or if you have lots of money maybe a C.

Annual consumption numbers aren’t very useful, try instead to find out the actual wattage in use of the compressor because that’s key, mine draws around 40w.

Then hourly power use is purely down to the duty cycle of the fridge and that just like it would be for an overpriced 12v fridge will vary for everyone, ventilation, temp in the van, how often the doors open etc, so is an unknown quantity.

In summer in a closed roasting van mine cycles perhaps for 4-5 minutes every 15 minutes but in winter that’s perhaps every 35-40 minutes

Don’t forget you need to think about some form of child lock to keep the door shut, safely mounting it needs a bit of thought and loose glass shelves are best stuck in with silicon!

@Trotter
You may find this useful, my mains fridges have been 100% reliable for the last four years.
I made the initial mistake of buying a totally inadequate Victron inverter but the Cotek has been brilliant, in power saving mode it draws about 200mA an hour.

So called A++ rated fridges no longer exist they mostly got an E under the new grading system best you will find now is a D or if you have lots of money maybe a C.

Annual consumption numbers aren’t very useful, try instead to find out the actual wattage in use of the compressor because that’s key, mine draws around 40w.

Then hourly power use is purely down to the duty cycle of the fridge and that just like it would be for an overpriced 12v fridge will vary for everyone, ventilation, temp in the van, how often the doors open etc, so is an unknown quantity.

In summer in a closed roasting van mine cycles perhaps for 4-5 minutes every 15 minutes but in winter that’s perhaps every 35-40 minutes

Don’t forget you need to think about some form of child lock to keep the door shut, safely mounting it needs a bit of thought and loose glass shelves are best stuck in with silicon!

Thank you. There’s a 3000w Renogy inverter already in the van. I’ve also got a spare 1500w. Both are psw.
I’ve decided to continue with the 3way, at least for now.
But I’ll continue to keep an eye out for a suitable domestic fridge. Fairly close to me, there’s a Argos discount store. I’ll go there when in the area, and see what’s available.

Thank you. There’s a 3000w Renogy inverter already in the van. I’ve also got a spare 1500w. Both are psw.
I’ve decided to continue with the 3way, at least for now.
But I’ll continue to keep an eye out for a suitable domestic fridge. Fairly close to me, there’s a Argos discount store. I’ll go there when in the area, and see what’s available.
It is important to get the right one. You have to go for an A+ rating at the minimum (yes, I know the rating letters have changed, but all they have done is shifted the letters. you can easily look up what A+ then equals now).
The difference in energy use between an A+ and an A is actually pretty significant.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back