Joys of MOT time....

mistericeman

Took motorhome in last weekend for its mot (2004 Ducato Swift 590rs) (after 2 weeks of on and off fiddling to try to get half the marker lights working)
Got them working after finding one blown fuse in one of the million fuse boxes fitted to it.....
Lights working, I achieved a fail on rear brake imbalance (rear brakes have always squeeked after being parked up)

Stripped rear brakes and found a seized wheel cylinder on passenger side....

Couple of hours buggering about and it's back in tomoz and crossing fingers....

When I get chance I'll be replacing brake fluid (none synthetic brake fluids are hygroscopic and absorb water over time.... Not good news as it causes rusting of the internals of the brake system) 20191129_165726.jpg

20191129_165722.jpg

New wheel cylinder/new rear shoes and tub of brake fluid PLUS new oil filter and oil less than £60....

So not too painful.

Took motorhome in last weekend for its mot (2004 Ducato Swift 590rs) (after 2 weeks of on and off fiddling to try to get half the marker lights working)
Got them working after finding one blown fuse in one of the million fuse boxes fitted to it.....
Lights working, I achieved a fail on rear brake imbalance (rear brakes have always squeeked after being parked up)

Stripped rear brakes and found a seized wheel cylinder on passenger side....

Couple of hours buggering about and it's back in tomoz and crossing fingers....

When I get chance I'll be replacing brake fluid (none synthetic brake fluids are hygroscopic and absorb water over time.... Not good news as it causes rusting of the internals of the brake system) View attachment 51562

View attachment 51563

New wheel cylinder/new rear shoes and tub of brake fluid PLUS new oil filter and oil less than £60....

So not too painful.
What are you like on electrics? My horn doesn't work (it passed its mot though 'cos the tester is a pal). If you can assist, pm me and I'll tell what the problem is.
Peter

What are you like on electrics? My horn doesn't work (it passed its mot though 'cos the tester is a pal). If you can assist, pm me and I'll tell what the problem is.
Peter

Horn is a pretty simple affair, should be an easy fix for someone who can do a bit of testing:)

You do both sides at same time,always change w cyl about every 3/5 years as part of a service,master cyl at about 10 years or 100000 miles.
I now test my van brakes on mates rollers before going to mot.

Last edited:
Talking about marker lights - can anyone explain how one gets into the high level front and tail lights on a 2004 Bessacarr.
On the low level side markers I got in the back of them to put in LEDs but I don't want to break the lenses on the high level.
Given that at the weight my van is HGV I'm supposed to have front, rear and side side lights on if parked on Highway (layby) and with 10 @ 5w that's quite a load overnight!

Talking about marker lights - can anyone explain how one gets into the high level front and tail lights on a 2004 Bessacarr.
On the low level side markers I got in the back of them to put in LEDs but I don't want to break the lenses on the high level.
Given that at the weight my van is HGV I'm supposed to have front, rear and side side lights on if parked on Highway (layby) and with 10 @ 5w that's quite a load overnight!
This parking reg is not enforced you will never see a lay-by full of trucks parked up for the night with lights on.

I haven't used them and probably wouldn't anyway - but if one fails it would be nice to be able to change it.

I would have thought that a seized wheel cylinder would have been quite noticeable under braking causing a side pull to some degree? A cheap fix to keep the braking system tip top. (y)
I had some rolling brake squeal but it was just a build up of brake dust on that drum. But just couldn't get the other side off to check it, as if the inner face of the drum had bonded to the hub which even a heavy handed amount of abuse just could not split - so likely a garage job when needed. 🧐

Peter
Well just say what the problem is, if not the actual horn then maybe just run a new feed to it? :unsure:

Contaminated brake fluid should fail the MOT but like the under infated tyres check it will be down to the tester, it is worth changing regularly though because the water absorbtion causes internal rusting as well as a soggy pedal, I know the OP will know this because of his interest in classic vehicles but anyone who is not aware it is something to consider

I would have thought that a seized wheel cylinder would have been quite noticeable under braking causing a side pull to some degree? A cheap fix to keep the braking system tip top. (y)
I had some rolling brake squeal but it was just a build up of brake dust on that drum. But just couldn't get the other side off to check it, as if the inner face of the drum had bonded to the hub which even a heavy handed amount of abuse just could not split - so likely a garage job when needed. 🧐
If there is a hub holding screw remove it and turn hole to top,squirt in some wd40 lightly round the hole and leave over night,then a good blow with a large block hammer to release,i take my hubs of twice a year to clean out the cr-p.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back