Leak

Herbenny

Anyone know a ballpark figure to fix a leak ? Possibly/ likely coming from a bolt attaching the awning.

Many thanks

Jac, can you take a pic and post the bolt, get a better understanding of your issue.

Yeah sure Terry

Ps it doesn’t happen all the time just when the van is at certain slopes I guess

I’ll go take a pic

As you can see I added some sealant not great I know ! But it’s covered by a blank panel … we have had rain the last two days and nothing in there feels wet, the cupboards definitely warped though and a couple of weeks ago it felt like the rain was coming from one of the bolts

F3A1A41C-726E-4826-9B14-EF1F294D8CD2.jpegB43A03E1-75D2-4F96-8BAB-1BE4C8EC9339.jpeg

Trying to add sealant to the inside won’t work it has to be sealed from the outside it needs the bolt taking out and a rubber washer for the bolt,
If it was me I would take the bracket off and make a rubber gasket or sikaflex behind the bracket and the bolt

Trying to add sealant to the inside won’t work it has to be sealed from the outside it needs the bolt taking out and a rubber washer for the bolt,
If it was me I would take the bracket off and make a rubber gasket or sikaflex behind the bracket and the bolt
I know I only put the sealant in there thinking it may help temporary until I could get it sorted..
I just used what I had on hand as I was away at the time.
Nothing in the van feels wet the lining no nothing and yet the other week it was dripping in

Yes I agree it definitely needs to be attacked from outside, sound like they may have drilled the holes too big for the bolts, which looking at the length of them the job looks very amateurish too, meantime get a wad of kitchen roll to soak up any water that does get in so it's not finding a path to something critical and keep your eyes on it.

Yes I agree it definitely needs to be attacked from outside, sound like they may have drilled the holes too big for the bolts, which looking at the length of them the job looks very amateurish too, meantime get a wad of kitchen roll to soak up any water that does get in so it's not finding a path to something critical and keep your eyes on it.
The awning was fitted by I assume the previous owners, I have the paperwork here so can check. From what I can see he was very particular and looked after the van well, but I thought the same as you the bolts seem massive. We have used a air awning the last year or two that attaches onto the fixed awning, I’m wondering if the weight of that has loosened things up, hence a leak.

Sorry to be the merchant of doom and gloom but if the water has been running down between the outer and interior walls if could be a big and expensive fix.
On my new Pilote I noticed high moisture readings below the window, no visual signs of water ingress.
To cut a long story short the window seal hadn’t been fitted correctly which caused water to get in between the inner and outer walls.
Fortunately it was under a year old and under warranty. It was at the dealers for a week, interior wall panels had to be replaced etc, etc. £2,500 bill that Pilote paid.

Sorry to be the merchant of doom and gloom but if the water has been running down between the outer and interior walls if could be a big and expensive fix.
On my new Pilote I noticed high moisture readings below the window, no visual signs of water ingress.
To cut a long story short the window seal hadn’t been fitted correctly which caused water to get in between the inner and outer walls.
Fortunately it was under a year old and under warranty. It was at the dealers for a week, interior wall panels had to be replaced etc, etc. £2,500 bill that Pilote paid.
OUCH !!!

A PVC is a different thing though, if it's not a torrent it'll dry out before it does any damage the the skin, unless it's a Merc, it's the wood furniture that you need to worry about but again it's how wet they get, a camper is a damp environment anyway with showers and kettles etc, so the sooner it's sorted the better, and cheaper.

You can get a tin of Polar Leak Seal and brush that on the outside, so long as it’s not big holes it will seal it but if it is something loose it will get worse if not tightened up

We have an air awning too Jac, and quite frankly I think they are too heavy to attach to the roll out awning. I solved the problem by Sikoflexing a length of c rail to the side of the van, bringing down to waist height to make it easier to feed on. Has held up even on very windy nights, so far.

B9490738-2395-4342-80AB-D37AEB226329.jpeg

We have an air awning too Jac, and quite frankly I think they are too heavy to attach to the roll out awning. I solved the problem by Sikoflexing a length of c rail to the side of the van, bringing down to waist height to make it easier to feed on. Has held up even on very windy nights, so far.

View attachment 66517
Hmmm that’s a good idea Rog 👍
Just wandering it we have a place to put c rail as we have a whoosh bang sliding door … I’ll take a look tomorrow, even if it sits under the awning it takes the strain off …. Thank for that 👍hope your enjoys your travels both of you

That’s a plastic c rail by the way Jac. I bent it into shape with a heat gun. Might not be very easy with a sliding door, they tend to come out from the van and catch the awning on the inside.

That’s a plastic c rail by the way Jac. I bent it into shape with a heat gun. Might not be very easy with a sliding door, they tend to come out from the van and catch the awning on the inside.
Oh …. We don’t use the awning much nowadays

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back