Leaking Scuttle 2017 Ducato

Kontiki

My Swift based on the 2.2 Fiat Ducato is leaking from the windscreen onto the engine, I am aware this had been a problem on previous ducatos but thought it would have been sorted by now after all its hardly rocket science protecting the engine bay from water running off the windscreen. I've had it in the local Fiat commercial dealer after looking at it agreed that the scuttle wasn't stopping any water running directly onto the engine. They took it off cleaned it & refitted it with some mastic to secure it. Unfortunately it is still leaking, I'm not talking about a few drops, I have a paint roller tray on the engine which I have to empty after a days heavy rain. Been in touch with Fiat camper assist Italy again who do seem to be trying to help, booked in again for next Monday, after talking to the garage & Fiat they have arranged for all necessary parts to be there for a 'first time fix' (second time around). Surprised reading some of the comments when I posted this on the Swifttalk forum, some people seem to accept water leaking onto the engine one person even saying they put a piece of plastic sheet on the engine!!. Don't understand why it is such a difficult job to make a reasonable seal from the windscreen onto the engine. This is just asking for trouble down the line, probably won't affect me too much as I doubt I will keep this van for long.

There’s a mod out that diverts the water from the scuttle away so in later years the injectors don’t seize into head and obviously helps wires around areas affected.seen folks make up a screenwash hose type pipe seal at scuttles as to divert water away .
ask your dealer for info I’m sure they know about it.

Kontiki;n841 said:
My Swift based on the 2.2 Fiat Ducato is leaking from the windscreen onto the engine, I am aware this had been a problem on previous ducatos but thought it would have been sorted by now after all its hardly rocket science protecting the engine bay from water running off the windscreen. I've had it in the local Fiat commercial dealer after looking at it agreed that the scuttle wasn't stopping any water running directly onto the engine. They took it off cleaned it & refitted it with some mastic to secure it. Unfortunately it is still leaking, I'm not talking about a few drops, I have a paint roller tray on the engine which I have to empty after a days heavy rain. Been in touch with Fiat camper assist Italy again who do seem to be trying to help, booked in again for next Monday, after talking to the garage & Fiat they have arranged for all necessary parts to be there for a 'first time fix' (second time around). Surprised reading some of the comments when I posted this on the Swifttalk forum, some people seem to accept water leaking onto the engine one person even saying they put a piece of plastic sheet on the engine!!. Don't understand why it is such a difficult job to make a reasonable seal from the windscreen onto the engine. This is just asking for trouble down the line, probably won't affect me too much as I doubt I will keep this van for long.

On Swifttalk they accept anything as if you don't you won't be a member for long !
It is actually quite mind boggling what some people will accept,even when they fix it they are really prone to blocking up with leaves and grunge I always blasted the hose down to keep the drains clear , unfortunately Fiat has cornered the motorhome market.

I seem to remember that a part was available from Peugeot to correct which fits Fiat as well but Fiat don't do it. I could be wrong as it's some time ago as I though that it had been cured by now

Yes mine too. Its now on its third scuttle, the first two buckled in the heat and peeled away from the screen. Now on the third attempt and the drain pipe still keeps falling off...out of warranty now, going to out local garage tomorrow...instead of fiat...so this time he'll probably put a decent clip on it instead of the Fiat one that keeps dropping off and needs a special tool to put back.

The drain pipe isn't the problem, the first time I took it in they sealed the drain pipe as they thought it was leaking from there. It wasn't until I had a good look & could see it was coming under the rubber part of the scuttle & finding its way along then coming off the outside of the drain pipe. Both ends of the scuttle had a gap of a couple of millimetres with smaller gaps along the bottom. I will be insisting they fit a new scuttle to see if it will cure the problem. I don't understand why there isn't some sort of channel at the bottom of the windscreen to channel the water away from the engine, the whole thing relies on a good seal onto the windscreen, why don't they just put a bead of non setting mastic, I realise they can't seal it with something that would set as it would cause problems if the windscreen needed replacing.
I take the point about Swifttalk forum as I also found that people moan & complain but seem to accept what to me is either bad workmanship or I think even worse bad design. As somebody once said to me that Swift are primarily caravan manufacturers trying to make motorhomes & for some reason it just doesn't work.

Renault Trafics pre 2011 had similar problems as a design fault. There's a simple fix for the Trafic which if not carried out can lead to siezed injectors. (Also applies to Vauxhall and Nissan equivalents)

Took van for 8:00am into commercial garage where they were going to replace the scuttle only to find parts hadn't arrived, guy we dealt with was apolegetic, said he had checked & was told the new scuttle would be there on Saturdays delivery. Garage only about 4 miles away so not a disaster. While I was there I asked about a recall notice I saw when I logged onto the Fiat camper site with my reg. Nº. It said there was a recall on my van but I couldn't find any details, clicking the link only went to a page to book van for a service. He checked on the system & there is a recall which affects my van to have the EGR pipe replaced apparently there is a risk of it fracturing causing damage. To replace this though requires removing the engine. Haven't even got up to 3000miles yet.

Remove the whole engine just to replace an EGR pipe? I don't think that sounds at all right. Its not an internal part it is a valve, body, pipe and some wiring fitted externally to the exhaust manifold that senses when it need to re circulate overly 'rich' exhaust fumes back through the engine in an attempt to provide better emissions control.

teejay;n4444 said:
Remove the whole engine just to replace an EGR pipe? I don't think that sounds at all right. Its not an internal part it is a valve, body, pipe and some wiring fitted externally to the exhaust manifold that senses when it need to re circulate overly 'rich' exhaust fumes back through the engine in an attempt to provide better emissions control.

Have just seen that apparently it's a 3 hour job !

Obviously it would depend on what year of Ducato and engine model as to what the job entailed but no way would the engine have to come out!!!

teejay;n4450 said:
Obviously it would depend on what year of Ducato and engine model as to what the job entailed but no way would the engine have to come out!!!

I don't know but from what I can find it does involve the crossmember being removed !
A mate of mine had a Porsche 911 turbo and you had to remove the engine to change the spark plugs !

As I said depends on the Ducato engine type and vehicle year of manufacture. Most are either front top or rear of engine cylinder head. The only 'cross member' up there would not support the engine.What year of Porsche 911 was that then?

Mine is a 2017 Ducato, I'm only repeating what I was told by the Fiat garage, also Fiat camper assist in Italy said it wasn't a quick job. I'm not doing it or paying for it so why should I be bothered what work is involved.

I also have the water ingress on the engine compartment on my 2015 Peugeot Boxer, the Peugeot dealer tried palming me off with it is normal to have water splashing over the engine. I told them I was not happy with rainwater or after washing my motorhome the engine ends up getting soaked and will be contacting Peugeot customer care.
I explained the issue to the girl on the phone and she said she would pass on to her manager. Her manager contacted me and to my amazement agreed with the garage that it is normal to have water on the engine. I disagreed and sent him 3 videos when it was raining with the water constantly dripping on to the engine in various places, his reply today to the videos was the technical department has viewed the videos and said it is normal to have water dripping on to the engine and if I am not happy with the result to go to another Peugeot Dealer and so the fight continues.

after reading your post above i washed my 2017 ducato and no water under the bonnet after a lot of hosing your dealer is not being honest with you

The Ducato scuttle panel was re-designed in 2016 and has more drain off points than previous models. It is also a better design overall.
I know this because I have a 2013 Ducato based motorhome which is currently in the Fiat Professional dealer awaiting repairs to significant engine damage.
On trying to start my motorhome one very cold morning in France 8 weeks ago the engine turned over but would not fire up.
Here I am 8 weeks later with the motorhome repatriated back to the UK and my local dealer has advised that the probable cause of my problems is the timing belt getting wet and freezing up thereby causing it to slip when trying to start. It seems the dealer is aware of the issue of water ingress into the engine bay (an issue I have found on-line to be quite a well known one).
So, do not be fobbed off with rubbish about water ingress into the engine bay being normal.
I now face a probable fight with Fiat (or the original dealer, or both) to get them to pay for the repairs.

Kiaora "KONTIKI".......just curious if you are in NZ? We have the same van, same year, same problem. Im about to take it to Farmers Auto here in Tauranga. Have you had any joy yet getting it fixed ? Would be keen to hear your response to repairs here in NZ......if your'e actually based here. cheers. Graeme

Sorry not been on here for a while, I wished we lived in NZ but we are in the unfortunate position of living in the UK. Never got a solution to the leaking scuttle. No matter how the design the drains on the scuttle it won't stop the leak unless the scuttle is sealed to the windscreen. The water isn't getting into the scuttle it runs down the windscreen directly onto the engine. Getting rid of the van in March changing to a panel van conversion but unfortunately still on a Fiat. Seeing if water leaking under the scuttle is on the checklist.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back