LED lighting - intermittent fault

GMJ

Does anyone know if the LED lighting strips typically used in MH's are 1 piece sealed units or 2 piece ones?

One of the lighting strips in our MH has developed an intermittent fault. It won't go on for weeks/months when it should be; and then, miraculously, when it decides to light up does so at a random time only to then go off a few days later. When I say random, I mean that the lights are on in the MH and it isn't working but then an hour or so later for example it will just decide to light up.

My first thought is that it may be a loose connection. Therefore I have attached some (really bad) photos of the strip in situ as my question is: how do I get the cover off it to have a look at the LED strip itself?

I don't want to force it nor do I want to pull the whole thing off where its stuck on.

Any ideas? I am assuming that it is a 2 part item with a base and lid/diffuser, which is the part I'd like to get off without wrecking it.

Sorry about the photos as I took them at night. I can do clearer ones in daylight if it helps but hopefully you get the idea. Its the white strip in each of the photos I'm trying to sort out.

ThanksIMG_4197.JPGIMG_4198.JPGIMG_4199.JPG

I can’t answer your question but LED lights can be sensitive to voltage drops. During the recent storms we had a voltage drop at home and half our LED lights turned themselves off, whilst others of the same type stayed on. An hour later we had a complete power cut but when the power returned the next day at full voltage they all worked fine. Possibly worth checking the wiring and connections or even providing a new direct connection to see if it helps you problem.

Nice one, thanks.

Its strange that all the others are working fine though. I want to get into the LED itself so I can check that connection first and then we'll take it from there I guess.

Its strange that all the others are working fine though.
During our home voltage drop I didn’t understand why some of my LEDs worked whilst others didn’t. Sensitive electronics I guess.

4 nights of the last 5, the Van LEDs went off momentarily (1 second?) when running on Leisure Battery. The 5th night was when we didn't have the fridge switched on, so that might have caused a power surge, especially since the outage happens at about the same time each night. A gradual reduction in the available current meets a brief call for extra power, and the lights head for the exit, momentarily. There's been no problems with the outage upsetting any devices such as the Truma Panel, so fingers crossed that our problem is just a wee foible, and I can search for something else to worry about!

Steve

This one stays off for weeks/months and then decided to come on for a day or two...before disappearing again. Personally I think the strip is dud or its a poor connection rather than a voltage issue as we are always on EHU when it happens and not batteries...hence my wanting to open up the fitting and see if I can see what's what.

How's the trip going Steve?

This one stays off for weeks/months and then decided to come on for a day or two...before disappearing again. Personally I think the strip is dud or its a poor connection rather than a voltage issue as we are always on EHU when it happens and not batteries...hence my wanting to open up the fitting and see if I can see what's what.
How's the trip going Steve?
Pretty good, do far, Graham! We've used some really nice Aires (free!) in France, and are settling into a routine. LPG refills have been a wee bit problematic, but we've just walked into Gruissan (on same aire as Gordon & Fiona who pointed us in the right direction ...) and checked with the local garage who are perfectly happy for us to refill via an external point (Manager explained the Regs in very slow French so that I could understand ...). I shall probably fill up with diesel, despite the €2.38pl price, to show my appreciation of the service.
M/home ok, it's used a drop of oil (1/2 way mark) but that is since purchase in April 21, and we have been driving into fierce head and cross winds for last 4 days, so the (still tight) engine has worked its socks off. 8757 miles in 5 years with previous owner; 1210 miles in last 6 days with us 👍

Steve

nice one.

Where are you now and where are you headed?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back