Leisure Battery not reaching full charge on Alternator

i dont think your aloud to run with gas on. please correct me if i am wrong .p.s. dont light my firer. ok pj
You are indeed wrong. You are allowed to use gas appliances when driving.
You are supposed to have a regulator that cuts off in the event of a crash, but I don't think this is a legal requirement, just a very sensible precaution.
You can find lots of places that tell you gas must be turned off before driving, but I can find no legal basis for that. It's just the usual internet "gold plate and re-post" effect.
My motorhome has two Truma heating systems, both of which specifically state that they can be used when driving.
That'd be tricky if the gas was turned off!
There is a lot of misinformation about gas in motorhomes. I've often been told (including by people who know it was a lie) that you need to be Gas Safe registered to work on gas in motorhomes. Not true: the people who fit them aren't Gas Safe registered, and there is no requirement to be, unless the motorhome is hired out.
I reckon there are far more risks from botched electrical lash-ups than from gas.

Truma refer to a directive 2001/56/EC with amendments 2004/78/EC and 2006/119/EC that require safety shut off devices if the gas system is to be used whilst driving. They state that this applies to 2007 vehicles onwards. They say that rupture protection of the high pressure hoses and a regulator that shuts off the low pressure flow are needed throughout Europe and that France does not allow it at all in pre 2007 vehicles. Well that is how I read it, but this is the link.

The relevant gas legislation is Reg 96 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/96/made and the schedule it refers to is here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/schedule/5/made. As far as I know these regukations have remained unchanged since they were introduced. I would be interested to know if there have been any amendments.
And the relevant bit is in 96 (3)which says
" No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, in any vehicle to which this paragraph applies, while the vehicle is in motion on a road, any gas-fired appliance except :"

The "except" is in subparagraph (c)

"a refrigerating appliance"
... so it is fine to use a fridge on gas ...
"or an appliance which does not expose a naked flame on the outside of the appliance and which is permanently attached to the vehicle and designed for the purpose of heating any part of the interior of the vehicle for the comfort of the driver and any passengers."
... or to use a heater that does not expose a naked flame on the outside of the appliance.

Truma refer to a directive 2001/56/EC with amendments 2004/78/EC and 2006/119/EC that require safety shut off devices if the gas system is to be used whilst driving. They state that this applies to 2007 vehicles onwards. They say that rupture protection of the high pressure hoses and a regulator that shuts off the low pressure flow are needed throughout Europe and that France does not allow it at all in pre 2007 vehicles. Well that is how I read it, but this is the link.
They are selling their gas shutoff valve there. Which is fine, but I doubt you'll find a modern motorhome that doesn't have that sort of regulator fitted already.

I note that it says "For vehicles manufactured before 01/2007 there are no restrictions for operating the gas system while driving."
Presumably some time before 2007 is when these valves became standard fitment.

The bit about France is interesting:
"* Exception for France: In France the operation of the gas system while driving is only permitted in type-tested vehicles with initial registration as of 01.01.2007. In older vehicles the operation of the gas system while driving is non-permissible, even in combination with a safety shut-off device."

As far as I am aware, if it is legal in your home country, it is legal when visiting an EU state. But how does Brexit affect that?

The interesting bit on the schedule is where it says
"(4) There shall be fitted over every gas filling point on a vehicle a cap which shall—

(a)prevent any leakage of gas from the gas filling point,

(b)be secured to the vehicle by a chain or some other suitable means"

I've never ever seen an LPG fill point cap that is attached "by a chain or other suitable means", They are invariably loose. I should know: I've lost a few of them!

As far as I am aware, if it is legal in your home country, it is legal when visiting an EU state. But how does Brexit affect that?
Broadly speaking yes but it depends on how far individual countries signed up to the Vienna Conventions in the late forties rather than EU laws.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back