litium and insurance quotes

roadroamer

Just a quick question my ins is due in 14 days time, so as you do, you start shopping around for quotes, fill in all the questions same as last year and got good prices! then filled in again and declared I have had fitted solar panels and changed over to lithium leisure batteries the premium jumped up by £120 per year. was also told if lithium batteries are not declared and I am involved in a accident my ins will be null void, any body come across this or do I just pay up? this was quoted to me by Jack at AIB insurance and I know a lot of us in Motorhomer use AIB ins

Just had a letter from Scenic 0333 035 8998 claiming to be the bees knees for MH cover. 15 days too late for me
I know nothing about them
🤔I wonder if they are

A lot of the Leisure Vehicle insurance rules tend to take their cues from Marine Insurance.
The following is a copy of what one of my customers sent me when he raised the question prior to fitting some Fogstar batteries on his boat....

I have some good news: My boat insurance company have given me the go ahead. They said "As Lithium Batteries are relatively new on boats the information and expertise is limited. The Insurance market is currently working with the British Marine federation to try to get some clear guidelines in place which will assist all parties involved. You appear to have more than adequate experience in lithium batteries. Whilst the information we currently have is that the marine experts do not encourage mixing battery types we have to bow to your better judgement. As you state, technology is moving and improving all the time. We are happy to confirm that your insurance cover will remain in force".

I guess the last sentence is the important one!

When I had self-builds, the insurance companies had no interest in the type of batteries fitted any more than the brand of gas stove. All they wanted to know and cared about was if the mechanical parts of the base vehicle had been altered.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back