Loch Ness PBY stranding,

runnach

As some will already know of me and my dive buddy flying boat wreck finds off Oban, by accident tonight, I found this, see link below. I knew nothing of this and I guess no news would be down to country being in covid lock-down. If I had known of this, I would have done an Edinburgh to Inverness eye test drive to hopefully have viewed this beauty. Old footage was fantastic, we also viewed the PBY laying on the Saudi beach off the straights of Tiran, Red Sea. Finding this made my night complete.

We like to watch that programme about the RNLI and it’s various rescues that’s often on BBC2 (Rescue at sea or something like that) and this featured several months back as the lifeboat from Dumnadrochit went to their aid and towed it in to shelter. Waited ages for parts to arrive if I remember correctly. Well worth a watch if you can track it down on iPlayer.

We watch that too, but I'm sure we've seen it before a few years ago.

I was surprised that the Catalina film had a lot of Gaelic spoken, unlike Wales you very rarely come into contact with it in Scotland, a few signs but not much more and I've never heard it spoken.

We watch that too, but I'm sure we've seen it before a few years ago.

I was surprised that the Catalina film had a lot of Gaelic spoken, unlike Wales you very rarely come into contact with it in Scotland, a few signs but not much more and I've never heard it spoken.
It was transmitted on BBC Alba which explains the Gaelic. 500000 viewers a week and costs £24 million a year so a bargain at £1 a view!
Lots about Catalinas here https://www.catalina.org.uk/
Catalina camper;

As one of the BBC Alba regular viewers it has some of the best programmes on the beeb. (Also some paint drying ones).
My parents were punished for speaking Gaelic; so ensured that we spoke only English.

You don't hear Gaelic spoken, as native speakers will change to English when someone they don't know is a speaker joins the conversation, or even comes into a shop.
One of my relatives sayes it will be the first language to die of politness as they think it is rude to speak it in the company of a non gaelic speaker.

You don't hear Gaelic spoken, as native speakers will change to English when someone they don't know is a speaker joins the conversation, or even comes into a shop.
One of my relatives sayes it will be the first language to die of politness as they think it is rude to speak it in the company of a non gaelic speaker.
Not sure I'd call it rude but there are places where this is the norm, ignorant is maybe a better word.

Link is a shortened version from BBC One Show, where you can view what is left of Sunderland flying boat, not much of it left on viewing clip. These guys were at least 15 year, when we found it, it was a fairly large structure, with much of it lost in the silt.

As above, a shortened version, this was our second PBY find, which we called the front end Cat, which was fairly intact from the nose to the trailing edge of wing, there was a small part remaining of the fuselage, the rest was gone, probably ripped away by a trawl net.

First one we found was the opposite, intact from the tail to where it would meet the raised structure to support engines and wing. rear gun blisters opened with ease, which was amazing, I entered fuselage for a nose around, and as I was on my own, I made a hasty retreat when a rather large Conger Eel came into view!!

It was transmitted on BBC Alba which explains the Gaelic. 500000 viewers a week and costs £24 million a year so a bargain at £1 a view!
Lots about Catalinas here https://www.catalina.org.uk/
Catalina camper;

Correct Bill, I was viewing another program "Arnish" when the PBY clip popped up, I bet the throttle control on the PBY is far revomed from your days jetting around the world! BBC Alba can have very interesting programs from different subject areas for us to view, I can live with the sub titles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018zzl/arnish

Yes no problem, although I can lose the flow, is there a none gaelic version too, or purely Alba

Correct Bill, I was viewing another program "Arnish" when the PBY clip popped up, I bet the throttle control on the PBY is far revomed from your days jetting around the world! BBC Alba can have very interesting programs from different subject areas for us to view, I can live with the sub titles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018zzl/arnish
Far removed from Boeings but certainly similar looking to an S61.

We've stayed there a few times, it was about 5 years ago so before the aire, it will be a good thing for the area.

Short of the Catalina wreck site, Vatersay, Outer Hebrides.

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back