Looks like we have a very tired blackbird on my window feeder

Pudsey Bear

it landed ages before I took this at 15:21
1674402170867.jpeg

Still there when I shouted Liz to come look and I took a little video

And it is still there now

1674402338797.jpeg

so 15:21 to now 15:46 is 25 minutes Liz thinks it might be struggling to find food, and it is having a good trough as it's full of meal worms, it keeps stopping, but it obviously can fly & another one keeps landing on the tree in the back ground.

Grr a Barsteward starling attacked it and it flew off.

This winter I have found my feeders pretty much void of birds from previous years, so many different specie, including woodpecker would feed. has bird flu decimated our feathered friends so badly?

We spend a bloody fortune on feeding our wild birds, peanuts, sunflower seeds fat balls and mixed seeds, they do reward us by providing a constant pleasant and interesting view.
An unintended consequence is that because of the constant action around the feeders it's not unusual for the squabbling amongst the smaller birds for one of them to fly into a window, luckily they usually just temporarily stun themselves and recover quite quickly and fly away. Unfortunately it is also a perfect hunting ground for Sparrowhawks and Kestrels, recently heard a loud thump from the conservatory went to investigate and saw on the ground what at first thought was an Owl because being quite a large bird and on its back with legs in air all that I could see was a speckly chest, I picked it up and realised it was a Kestrel, it was basically motionless and at first thought the worst but it soon started to come around, with the smaller birds after picking them up off of the floor we hold on to them until they have regained some awareness and then if they don't fly away put them for safety on one of the feeding tables, when this one came around he or she stood up and gripped my hand then just sat and looked around for quite a few minutes before flexing its wings took a last look at me and flew off.
Kestrel 20-12-22.jpg

How lovely John, it's a lifetime experience for sure, I've handled Buzzards and a few owls as a friend used to keep them years ago, it was always the lightness that amazed me.

We spend a bloody fortune on feeding our wild birds, peanuts, sunflower seeds fat balls and mixed seeds, they do reward us by providing a constant pleasant and interesting view.
An unintended consequence is that because of the constant action around the feeders it's not unusual for the squabbling amongst the smaller birds for one of them to fly into a window, luckily they usually just temporarily stun themselves and recover quite quickly and fly away. Unfortunately it is also a perfect hunting ground for Sparrowhawks and Kestrels, recently heard a loud thump from the conservatory went to investigate and saw on the ground what at first thought was an Owl because being quite a large bird and on its back with legs in air all that I could see was a speckly chest, I picked it up and realised it was a Kestrel, it was basically motionless and at first thought the worst but it soon started to come around, with the smaller birds after picking them up off of the floor we hold on to them until they have regained some awareness and then if they don't fly away put them for safety on one of the feeding tables, when this one came around he or she stood up and gripped my hand then just sat and looked around for quite a few minutes before flexing its wings took a last look at me and flew off.
View attachment 65641
That is a male Sparrowhawk in the photo, not a Kestrel. Beautiful.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back