Loose bolt on Elddis Autoquest Motorhome.

Michael513

Free Member

Hi all, we have a 5 year old Elddis 175 Autoquest motorhome. In each corner over the parcel shelf is a bare threaded bolt. I have been experiencing an annoying squeek sound recently and was advised to tighten these bolts. They turn with an allen key. Unfortunately I turned the nearside bolt the wrong way and am sure I heard something drop down inside the Boxer roof lining. The bolt is now turning freely but cannot be pulled out. I believe these bolts actually help to secure the roof of the motorhome to the Boxer and therefore are very important. My question though is how to access inside the lining. Short of stripping the Boxer roof lining how can I find the missing part probably a nut or similar? Though of actualluy custting a square piece out of the lining, Ugly I know. More worrying is can I drive the MH safely without causibg any serious damage? Thanks

Try locating the lost nut with a strong magnet and moving it to a point where you can get it.

As for refitting it, I have no idea.

If you can find a replacement nut it will rule out my first point.

Tks for the advice. The problem is I can't get inside the roof liner, to find and refit the nut, without it being stripped and that's a big and expensive job but probably the only answer.

I would think any loose nut would travel to one of the front corners as that is the lowest point, it also depends if you have a full cab roof or a short cowl, if you can stand up in the cab you have a cowl which is about a foot or so long going away from the screen, as the cab is steel everything is fitted from inside so with careful scrutiny you may be able to see how and deconstruct it to effect a decent repair then put it all back together, it might be worth contacting Elldis for help too..

I don't think they will be relying on a couple of bolts it will be well stuck down and sealed to prevent water ingress when driving so it should not fall off.

Also, the exact model would help and any pictures so we can see the problem, like where the bolts are and the layout of the over cab.

If you can get the bolt out then refit with a rivnut and new bolt, if no noise as pudsey says no harm will happen.

Hi tks for your reply. Here's a few oics showing where the bolt is situated and the area, directly below the bolt inside the cab. I. Can see there is a grab handle and possible a, sun visor that would need to be peeled open to access where the bolt was connected.

IMG_20230928_155003.jpgIMG_20231001_102520.jpgIMG_20231001_102606.jpgIMG_20231001_102703.jpg

I'd certainly have a look at the bit above the visor, I'm thinking they will have needed to access it themselves. if you don't have one buy one of these.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back