LPG at Shell

moonshadow

Rally Organiser

We stopped at a Shell garage today for LPG, while we were filling or rather not filling, we managed just over one litre, we remembered last time we stopped for LPG at a Shell garage Fleet Services on the M3 we had the same problem. The girl told us their LPG pumps weren’t Intended to be used to fill cylinders. Just stopped at Esso, same thing then we noticed a sign which said no filling of portable cylinders-technically I suppose they are. The cashier when I paid my 20p for my .32l suggested we might have air in the system! Anyone else had either of these problems?

I put lpg in a couple of days ago using the same shell station I’ve used for a couple of years and it took ages to reach 30p and then kicked in as normal but took over a minute too run as normal try just giving it more time.

I have had this a few times, I just release the gun for a second and then it works.

Thanks will try again, hopefully enough for tonight-I’ll send Martin on a mission tomorrow ?

You have to keep button pressed all the time you are filling.

I have only just fitted a refillable cylinder (from Gaslow).
I did have some problems on the first (and only) time I filled up but only because I did not know haw to operate the pump.
But once I found there was a latch on the filling nozzle and then a green button that I had to hold all the time I was filling up, it worked fine and filled up until the overfill prevention cutout on the cylinder decided it had had enough (just over 20 litres into an 11kG cylinder).
Mark you, Gaslow warned me to have an external filling connection point as supposedly (some) filling stations will stop customers filling if they try to refill an ordinary cylinder ( or one that it is not built into the van), or even if they have to open the gas locker door in order to fill up!
Is this just scaremongering by Gaslow or does it really happen?

I have only just fitted a refillable cylinder (from Gaslow).
I did have some problems on the first (and only) time I filled up but only because I did not know haw to operate the pump.
But once I found there was a latch on the filling nozzle and then a green button that I had to hold all the time I was filling up, it worked fine and filled up until the overfill prevention cutout on the cylinder decided it had had enough (just over 20 litres into an 11kG cylinder).
Mark you, Gaslow warned me to have an external filling connection point as supposedly (some) filling stations will stop customers filling if they try to refill an ordinary cylinder ( or one that it is not built into the van), or even if they have to open the gas locker door in order to fill up!
Is this just scaremongering by Gaslow or does it really happen?

Morrison’s will not allow gas filling of any Motorhome following a fire on one of their forecourts, there was an article in one of the National newspapers, yet I could fill my Gas converted 4x4 and it has exactly the same filler system, fortunately there are a few garages selling gas in my area and also been able to fill up when away. I look out for the Esso stations that are linked to the Tesco points system and never had any problems with them. Unfortunately I have heard more than one person getting irate with the cashier (in fact one was dam rude to her) at Morrison but they are only following Company policy and it’s not their fault so please be lenient with them but write to their head office as I did but I doubt if they will change their policy. You may find the article by doing a web search.

Morrison’s will not allow gas filling of any Motorhome following a fire on one of their forecourts, there was an article in one of the National newspapers, yet I could fill my Gas converted 4x4 and it has exactly the same filler system, fortunately there are a few garages selling gas in my area and also been able to fill up when away. I look out for the Esso stations that are linked to the Tesco points system and never had any problems with them. Unfortunately I have heard more than one person getting irate with the cashier (in fact one was dam rude to her) at Morrison but they are only following Company policy and it’s not their fault so please be lenient with them but write to their head office as I did but I doubt if they will change their policy. You may find the article by doing a web search.
That's very old news. Morrisons have no problem with filling fixed tanks, my last two fills have been at Morrisons, they're the cheapest around my area as well.

Yes, old news - filled up at Morrisons Boroughbridge recently, no prob

I've filled up at a few different Morrisons recently, without problems.

I think the secret is the way you go about it. If you drive up to the pump, jump out and get on with it, you normally don't have problems.
Looking furtively around as if you're try to get away with something that you're not supposed to do, just draws attention to yourself.

I'm sure the day will come that I'll get refused, but I normally top up when one of the two bottles is getting low, do I'll just smile sweetly, and buy my gas elsewhere
Maybe at the next Morrisons down the road ?)

Shell garages have two different types of filling nozzles. One type works no bother, but the other one (where you have to turn the whole filler) is a nightmare with my van. I have had help from forecourt staff at Shell garages and also at Morrisons Boroughbridge. The filler is inside a cupboard which causes problems in France. In the UK when they see its a Gaslow system I have never had a problem.

You might have problems anywhere if the filler is inside the locker, I'd shut the pump down if I saw anyone doing that, if it's a proper filler on a valance etc, there shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect that a few pumps are not working as intended. I pulled into a Shell garage in Suffolk about a month ago and it only delivered a few pence worth of LPG. The manager came out to help and had the same poor result.

Later on I chose another Shell garage and all worked fine, filling up perfectly.

We filled up at Morrison’s at Morpeth, having phoned first to make sure we could, she seemed confused that I had even asked thinking perhaps the height of the canopy ?was the issue!

I used a BP garage recently and had to press the green button fir ages b4 the pump started. The assistant told me this was normal but it did seem to take a long while to start working.

I filled up today in France. 1st attempt got about 2 litres in and it stopped. I released the nozzle and then put it back in and quickly filled it up with a total of 18 litres.

Two local Shell garages have Lpg.
The cheapest has the complicated connector, a swine to hook up... And takes ages to get started.
The other, is simple and fast..and there's never a queue.
Deliberate, or what?

I used a BP garage recently and had to press the green button fir ages b4 the pump started. The assistant told me this was normal but it did seem to take a long while to start working.
An assistant I spoke to told me this is common in the winter. As the weather is still mild I suspect the pump was faulty. I've come across a couple recently and moved onto another garage where all was well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back