LPG Hoses & Regulators

wildebus

I noticed the other day that my LPG Pigtail Hose was cracking on the bend to the bottle connection and thought it best to replace for obvious reasons.

On removing the pigtail, I saw the manufacturing date was Feb 2007 - so 15 years old! Clearly this should have been replaced previously and I tried to find out just what the recommended (mandated?) maximum ages for the hoses are.
According to this website - https://www.outdoorbits.com/blog/2019/08/are-my-lpg-hose-and-regulator-in-date/ - a rubber pigtail hose such as the ones I have just removed - and also such as the one I just bought to replace it with - should be replaced every 5 years. Is that correct as I recall reading somewhere it was 10 years? - but the website info above seems pretty authorative so likely correct.

Also, the same site says that the regulators fitted should also be replaced every 10 years as a matter of course. I was not aware of this requirement. Is this widely known and carried out by people with Motorhomes over 10 years old? (On mine, I did not check the date but I would be pretty sure it has never been changed so would be around the same age as the 15 year old pigtail hose). I am thinking I should replace the Regulator now as well as the hose.

Most people I know seem to carry a spare regulator as they are cheap. I changed my previous van's regulator because I thought it noisy, and it immediately became my spare.

My current van is now four years old and I'm already thinking about buying one.

gas regulations are fluid rubber left unused rots /perishes faster than daily use but would get stainless steel hoses as a matter of course, regulators also clog up when unused

Give Charlie a ring Dave. I know certain company’s have been saying pipes should be replaced when they don’t need it, that may not be the rubber ones though. The NCC have been saying the wrong intervals as well but that is changing if it hasn’t already.
I don’t want to say a length of time as I can’t remember however, if visual inspection shows any wear/damage I would replace.

I do know it’s 10 years on cylinders, regulators and braided pipes Charlie uses.

Edit: my regulator is the original from 2007 but I carry a spare

I check before buying a van and if near out of date I negotiate for that and any other issues & just replace that and the reg, silly that the pipe is more expensive than a reg though.

Give Charlie a ring Dave. I know certain company’s have been saying pipes should be replaced when they don’t need it, that may not be the rubber ones though. The NCC have been saying the wrong intervals as well but that is changing if it hasn’t already.
I don’t want to say a length of time as I can’t remember however, if visual inspection shows any wear/damage I would replace.

I do know it’s 10 years on cylinders, regulators and braided pipes Charlie uses.

Edit: my regulator is the original from 2007 but I carry a spare
Gas is not my forte, so I like some guidelines but still don't go for an automatic kneejerk reaction of replacing when some semi-abritartory date is reached.
The hose was definately overdue for replacement .... Youcan see the cracking throughout the whole length
IMG_20220629_134554_0.jpg
I cut the 2007 one in half and there is an inner hose that looked fine so there was no immediate concern of leaking.

The new one has a confusing date in a way - says "2022" which sounds like this year but I *think* the date is actually 20/22 - 20th week of this year as hoses are always stamped with week and month of production?

I double-checked the regulator and that is 2007 like the hose, which makes sense. I think I will get a replacement to at least keep as a spare.

I took a photo of the Gaslow hose I got with the filler kit and those dates are interesting ... If used as a filler hose (which it is), it is ok until 2028; but as a pigtail hose it is good until 2038! (I wonder if it can be replaced in 2028 on the filler connection and then reployed as a pigtail for another 10 years?)
IMG_20220629_141426_8.jpg

I used to replace as a matter of course as I was selling after using for few months and telling prospective buyers it had new hoses and regulator went down well along with other things id done.

Gas is not my forte, so I like some guidelines but still don't go for an automatic kneejerk reaction of replacing when some semi-abritartory date is reached.
The hose was definately overdue for replacement .... Youcan see the cracking throughout the whole length
View attachment 63328
I cut the 2007 one in half and there is an inner hose that looked fine so there was no immediate concern of leaking.

The new one has a confusing date in a way - says "2022" which sounds like this year but I *think* the date is actually 20/22 - 20th week of this year as hoses are always stamped with week and month of production?

I double-checked the regulator and that is 2007 like the hose, which makes sense. I think I will get a replacement to at least keep as a spare.

I took a photo of the Gaslow hose I got with the filler kit and those dates are interesting ... If used as a filler hose (which it is), it is ok until 2028; but as a pigtail hose it is good until 2038! (I wonder if it can be replaced in 2028 on the filler connection and then reployed as a pigtail for another 10 years?)
View attachment 63331
It does get confusing, especially if you have a memory like me lol, that’s why I always ask Charlie. Go to sleep and I have either forgotten something or risk of having dreamed it 😂😂😂😂

Me too, and it either isn't true or didn't happen if liz didn't witness it.

It does get confusing, especially if you have a memory like me lol, that’s why I always ask Charlie. Go to sleep and I have either forgotten something or risk of having dreamed it 😂😂😂😂
My memory is not as good as I seem to remember it being; assuming, of course, that my memory is as good as I recall, but I could be mistaken. I can't remember now 🙄

Steve

In the olden days when we had separate regulators and hose instead of these new fangled bulkhead regulators and a pigtail, I was told black low pressure hoses should be changed annually but the high pressure orange hoses would be ok for 5 years.

All pigtails I've seen have had black hoses so I really don't know, now.

In the olden days when we had separate regulators and hose instead of these new fangled bulkhead regulators and a pigtail, I was told black low pressure hoses should be changed annually but the high pressure orange hoses would be ok for 5 years.

All pigtails I've seen have had black hoses so I really don't know, now.
my second pigtail from Calor to Bulkhead (which I added in 2020) is an orange one :) Not sure if there is a date on it. I'll have to have a look at the orange hose for the external BBQ point!

View attachment 63328

View attachment 63331
The filler hose has to cope with a far higher pressure than the pigtail, so that sort of makes some sense I suppose!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back