Lpg valve solenoid

Eggbeater

Hi, any ideas appreciated. 2000 Niesmann Bischoff Arto, Truma boiler, after market underslung gas tank, before I purchased van. First trip since lock down, off grid, heating on, cooking under way and the gas suddenly shut off. I thought we'd run out of gas and the lpg fuel gauge was faulty but on refilling, the gauge worked which meant we had half a tank when the gas failed.
Check power to and from internal switch, okay, and the fuel gauge odds power from the feed to the solenoid on the tank valve. Can't hear any clicking when the solenoid is switched on and off and the ammeter doesn't flicker or show a drain when the switch is on.
Tried our local (ish) motorhome service business who said he steers clear of electric valves and couldn't offer any alternatives. Got a plumber to check what he could and he thinks it's the solenoid on the tank.
That's as far as I've got. Don't know the make of the tank. We're stuck because it's not a dual fuel system.... all gas so even on hook up no hot water or heating or cooking without taking the house with us.
In not bad at DIY but something like this I want fixed by a qualified person
Here's hoping 😊
Mick

Disconnect wires that are connected to the solenoid valve.
Measure resistance across solenoid connection, there shouldl be a few ohms maybe around 50. But If it is a dead short 0 ohms or more likely open circuit, its bust!

Last edited:
Is the solenoid part of a crash protection system ( enables you to travel with gas on) or just a separate electronic valve to turn the gas on?

Thanks for that, the reading was 24 Mega Ohm, presume M is for mega?
The coil is burnt out in the solonoid, sometimes replacable, but may be mechanically jammed and that's why it failed.

You just dap 12vdc on the contacts as an extra check, this would ensure no interlock (crash protection) was overiding its operation, to see/hear if it pulls in.

is that the same as turning the switch on /off briefly, which I've tried whilst someone was listening at the solenoid? this is all new to me. if I undo the screw I can see in the solenoid, should it come away by itself or might it be attached to the valve? Got a full tank of gas so not taking chances.

I think from you comments its best to take it somewhere to get it fixed, i dosn't sound like there is any more you can do.
Sorry I don't know of a repairer, google LPG installers in your area and keep phoning about. Gasit have a good dealer network

don't know about the crash protection bit. how would I tell?
There would be a unit fixed to the floor and connected to the solenoid valve.
The only reason I asked is because we have one and if the battery voltage goes above 15v, the gas solenoid shuts off. We found this out when our solar charger entered equalisation mode ( to equalise our leisure batteries) and the voltage goes up to 16v.
It was just a thought if you had a similar system.

Ok, just an update in case there is any advice left here. I've contacted several places and the most helpful was Kendal Camping which is a Gasit agent. He was sure they could fix it until I sent him some photos and after consulting with his gasit people they decided they couldn't help. Didn't recognise the valve and it wasn't a gasit tank.
So, I'll post the same photos here hoping someone recognises what I have. I also found a solenoid on a website that looks very similar to mine. It's called a Romano Sol coil and there's a photo of that too.
The first view is looking through the viewing hole for the fuel gauge, the second is from underneath the tank Here's hoping...Gas valve showing solenoid.jpg

Solenoid view from side.jpg
Romano Sol Coil.jpg

Ok, just an update in case there is any advice left here. I've contacted several places and the most helpful was Kendal Camping which is a Gasit agent. He was sure they could fix it until I sent him some photos and after consulting with his gasit people they decided they couldn't help. Didn't recognise the valve and it wasn't a gasit tank.
So, I'll post the same photos here hoping someone recognises what I have. I also found a solenoid on a website that looks very similar to mine. It's called a Romano Sol coil and there's a photo of that too.
The first view is looking through the viewing hole for the fuel gauge, the second is from underneath the tank Here's hoping...View attachment 59397

View attachment 59398
View attachment 59399
If you can find a firm that does lpg conversions on cars you should get one from them, there is a nut in the center of the solenoid soak it with wd40 or like wise take the nut off and the solenoid will lift off you can then test it on a battery

thanks for that, I wasn't sure if gas would flood out if I removed the solenoid.
That is the problem with having a solenoid valve at the tank I believe, a lot of places won’t work on a full tank of gas. Can you can find somewhere to safely drain the lpg from the tank or can it be drained that you can see?

That look a major part, incorporating 2 ports? and a solenoid valve and gauge all in one. Is one port the filling line? As said unscrew solenoid retaining screw and try and remove it, As you have proved the solenoid coil is open circuit it's U/S so remove it by any means possible to get to the valve, could be seized and need freeing up, hence the burnt out coil, then shopping for a compatible solenoid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back