Lpg valve solenoid

didn't get a chance today, getting ready for our first group since lockdown lifted. I did spray the screw with releasing oil so it should be loosened by tomorrow when I'll definitely make time to work on it. I must admit I'm just following your guidance here, hoping it is just the solenoid that's the problem. I'd be much happier taking it somewhere but I guess that's the price you pay for living in the sticks. thanks for your continued help, all.

Gas solenoid fail 'safe' that is to say the valve is normally closed and requires the coil magnet to pull it open.
The valve is sealed so removing the solenoid is perfectly safe to do.
When you've got it off you'll probably find a part number or at least be better able to compare it with online photos.
With a bit of luck it will be fairly common 'foreign' part - might not be cheap but a lot less than a new tank 😀

Be careful removing the retaining nut - if you shear the spindle then you won't be a less to fix the new solenoid.
Definitely was a candidate for a load of great to prevent corrosion when first installed.
The solenoid on my gas tumble dryer use E clips - but then they not subject to road spray etc 😀

Last edited:
I'm a bit overwhelmed with your kind suggestions. Thanks again. On reading everything posted and the clear advice offered, I have given Autogas Thirsk a ring, closed today but still answered the phone and listened to the problem and asked to me call back Tuesday first thing to talk to John the fitter. I'll do that before I try anything and the person I spoke with today did sound confident that they could solve the problem. I'll definitely keep you posted.

We had 3 problems in 2018
1 main regulator failed.
2 fridge gas burner failed.
3 gas valve for fridge (solenoid ?) failed.
Payup for a proper repair.
Total for al 3 was about £450 !
Pay and run away !

Autogas will probably have seen your equipment many times over the years .
Having said that if it's original to your van it is possible that spares are hard to get but they will
know where to source them if still available.
If it is just the solenoid and it is available then it should be a fairly quick fix as it does seem to be fairly accessible 🤞

I'm a bit overwhelmed with your kind suggestions. Thanks again. On reading everything posted and the clear advice offered, I have given Autogas Thirsk a ring, closed today but still answered the phone and listened to the problem and asked to me call back Tuesday first thing to talk to John the fitter. I'll do that before I try anything and the person I spoke with today did sound confident that they could solve the problem. I'll definitely keep you posted.
If John can’t sort it then nobody can 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back