Make sure your passport is stamped

Wouldn't they have an electronic record of entry and exit these days just in case?

On exit from where? You get stamped Into anywhere outside uk then when leaving anywhere to go to the uk. Got two ins and two outs now, what a pain especially at airports that are busy. Queued for forty minutes leaving the last place for some hapless official to add to his repetitive strain injury.

Wouldn't they have an electronic record of entry and exit these days just in case?
That's what a lot of the commenters replying to the Independent article said, but the border control were applying the letter of the law. Just thought it was something else to check at passport control, as Schengen countries won't have been accustomed to stamping UK passports.

Reactions: GMJ
The Schengen zone has, or is in the process of installing, a new computer system that will make passport stamping a thing of the past. Passports will be scanned and info about them shared between all border controls computers as well as mobile computers carried by border force and customs officials ( and the police may have remote access too )
The EU are getting serious about tracking non EU citizens through the zone in an attempt to tighten up security and reduce the threat of terrorism and illegal immigration.
Still didn’t stop the French border official stamping Mrs S’s U.K. passport at Folkestone before we got on the tunnel, even though we are French residents!

I remember the border crossing stamps with a fondness, and have kept all my old passports in order to check dates.

I like 'paper' and managed to follow my mother's WWII nursing career across North Africa and up through Italy using her retained paper trail.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back