Merits for EHU

Forresbroons

With the Scottish weather turning that bit colder, what's the members thoughts on the pro's and con's for keeping the van on EHU, if for no other reason than to keep the LB charged up.

Regards

Keith

Fine if your on a campsite but wildcamping you got no chance .Only thing there is more solar to keep LB charged.
Ha ha ha. My van isn’t big enough to fit that many panels Jeff :)

not certain keeping it on EHU for long periods is a good thing Keith, I think it depends on your battery’s and type of charger. See what others say as it’s an area with conflicting advice and views 👍

More solar? in Scotland? You would be hard pushed to keep the batteries topped up with solar alone unless the van is using minimal power.

If you have a 'typical' motorhome power distribution unit, such as a Sargent EC155, EC328 or the like, then you would be advised to not leave it plugged into the mains 24/7 (and TBH, I'd suggest putting in a Smart Mains Charger and not using the built in one). If you have a 'proper' Smart Mains Charger than sure, leave it on. I generally do in the winter but unplug/switch it off occasionally for a few days to get the batteries get a bit of action ;)

I've got mine on a timer switch, so the hours of darkness are covered when it's really cold

My smart numax built in charger does both les and starter batts as i have a relay on a switch to join em up. ;)
van e.jpg

Many thanks for all the replys, other than having a second LB fitted, our van came fitted it's the following power distribution system, a Sargent EC601/651 PSU,EC620control panel and a PX300 intelligent battery charger. So I think i will give the idea of leaving it on and switching it off occasionally to let the batteries do some work and see how we get on.

Once again
Many thanks
Regards
Keith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back