Microwaves

Trotter

Bob Wells, , has put up a video on his channel, CheapRVLiving, about using a microwave oven in a van. A massive draw per amp hour, but used for 3-4 minute bursts, possibly useable. I'm aware that at least 2 members use them regularly, although both have significant lithium storage.
What about us mere mortals?
Net question I suppose is what would I use a microwave for? At home it's used to warm up Millie's milk and to cook frozen rice.

I have put a seperate solar system300w and regulator and 2 x110 that connects to a inverter .which run the 240 items we use off grid . Microwave hover slow cooker toaster charging phones laptop which have nothing to do with leisure system that runs the van.

Bob Wells, , has put up a video on his channel, CheapRVLiving, about using a microwave oven in a van. A massive draw per amp hour, but used for 3-4 minute bursts, possibly useable. I'm aware that at least 2 members use them regularly, although both have significant lithium storage.
Net question I suppose is what would I use a microwave for? At home it's used to warm up Millie's milk and to cook frozen rice.
To keep your bread in it, don't be silly 😂

I use my microwave to warm up my cup of tea that I've let go cold. It gets used several times every day and saves a lot of tea bags.

#1. Bear in mind the 'Headline' Wattage is the cooking power and not the draw power. For example, my 800W Microwave is actually a 1200W Appliance in terms of power.
Leading to:(just!
#2. You need an Inverter capable of providing that power continuously, not peak. So typically a 1500W/3000W inverter. In my own case, I will be using a Victron Easyplus 1600 to drive the microwave. This is a 1300W Inverter, so above (just!) the 1200W the inverter needs.

How much power will it use? Taking my own Microwave again ... 1200W on a 12V System = 100A current. Works out to be a draw of around 1.66Ah/Minute. Call it 2Ah/Minute to cover inverter losses.
Now just down to simple maths ... run the microwave for 5 minutes ... 2Ah x 5 minutes = 10Ah out the battery.
smaller the battery bank, the more it is impacted by high current. so on a 200Ah Bank, that 10Ah might actually be an effective 20Ah out the bank.
If you have a 100Ah battery, I would say a microwave is too high a load. 200Ah is maybe the smallest.

I'll be using the Microwave for occasional use on a 300Ah Lead Carbon Battery Bank.

We had a low wattage (cooking power as well as input power) microwave along with slow cooker/kettle/toaster in our transit Jumbo powered by a 3000w mod sine inverter via 3 x 100ah leisure batteries charged via 2 x cheapy 100w solar panels and a Durite vsr and never needed hook up in the 4 years we had it....

Folks said it wasn't doable but worked for us.... Though we did move on each day in winter....
Never ran out of of power even using the eberspacher 24/7.

Alternative bread bin. Tea warmer. Sounds like a must have. ;) Having looked at Microwaveable dinners.
Maybe not.

Great for cooking porridge. 600W microwave. 2000W inverter. 160Ah Battery. 100W solar.
600w slow cooker also. Works fine for us.
Might be a problem if parked up off grid for months in the winter but I could run the engine for 5 minutes whilst the breakfast cooks.

If you have space and subject to all the power considerations posted above
Then you could use one but why. Too much clutter.
The items it coud be useful for us are
1 Porridge (but easily done in a saucepan) !
2 Partially cooking potatoes before finishing as you choose
3 Tea or coffee ..but surely a kettle
as has been posted careful usage and running the engine solves most of the power problems
Even at home we rarely use the microwave..But I do appreciate the advantages.
In the MoHo we only use the gas oven maybe 2x a week. but it is useful for storing bread etc.
If you want to cook quickly "GO STIR-FRY" tasty and healthy as well.
1 pan for Sir-fry
2 a saucepan for rice or pasta
Suits us sir ! for 5 months each summer since 2014 (well not 2020 !)

Alternative bread bin. Tea warmer. Sounds like a must have. ;) Having looked at Microwaveable dinners.
Maybe not.
All dinners can be made in a m/wave, they dont have to be frozen shop stuff, i dont have a big cooker at home but have used a m/wave for over 30 years cooking normal foods, still alive.

If you have space and subject to all the power considerations posted above
Then you could use one but why. Too much clutter.
The items it coud be useful for us are
1 Porridge (but easily done in a saucepan) !
2 Partially cooking potatoes before finishing as you choose
3 Tea or coffee ..but surely a kettle
as has been posted careful usage and running the engine solves most of the power problems
Even at home we rarely use the microwave..But I do appreciate the advantages.
In the MoHo we only use the gas oven maybe 2x a week. but it is useful for storing bread etc.
If you want to cook quickly "GO STIR-FRY" tasty and healthy as well.
1 pan for Sir-fry
2 a saucepan for rice or pasta
Suits us sir ! for 5 months each summer since 2014 (well not 2020 !)
Melt cheese on toast, baked spuds turnip carrots sausages burgers beans peas bacon rice custard, i live out of one.

We had an 800w microwave and 3000w inverter in a previous van. In 3 years of ownership, I think we used it 3 or 4 times. We don’t have either a microwave or oven in our present van and don’t miss them at all.

I am shocked Del, frozen rice???? Rice, noodles and eggs must be the easiest things to cook lol.
My van came with a microwave, no idea of size as it bolted in somehow, think it’s been used twice when on EHU to warm the butter by Caz.
I use it to store the dinner plates as they are too big for the plate cupboard. If I had my way it would have been gone ages ago but Caz wants to keep it so a quiet life for me 😂
I can do everything on want with two rings on my gas hob and the grill or bbq if outside. If going all electric or if you are a microwave user like Trev fair does but I can’t see the point for myself

I am shocked Del, frozen rice???? Rice, noodles and eggs must be the easiest things to cook lol.
My van came with a microwave, no idea of size as it bolted in somehow, think it’s been used twice when on EHU to warm the butter by Caz.
I use it to store the dinner plates as they are too big for the plate cupboard. If I had my way it would have been gone ages ago but Caz wants to keep it so a quiet life for me 😂
I can do everything on want with two rings on my gas hob and the grill or bbq if outside. If going all electric or if you are a microwave user like Trev fair does but I can’t see the point for myself
Dear Shocked of Buxton,
As you are well aware, my cooking skills are similar to those of Gordon Banks, or was it Alf Ramsey. My use of profanities, less so.
TBH, I saw the video and thought it might be of use to someone. What helps Bob enormously, is that in Arizona, being a desert, the sun can be pretty well guaranteed.
Again TBH, the fitting of the freezer has transformed my eating experiences. And also improved my culinary ability. To the point where Nik even allows me to cook the (very) occasional meal. Cook in sauces help no end😬

As you say not much use really in a van with a gas hob, mind you hard to do oven spuds without one using a plastic sealed pressure box.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back