MiFi power lead

probably will, but I would still be nervous about having it on when that "12V" supply the unit want is 20% greater when getting a charge.

The number of people who fit IKEA "12V" LED lights in their campervan conversions and wonder why they fail after a couple of months is an bit of a warning about using domestic devices powered by 240VAC to 12V DC Transformers (where 12V MEANS 12V). The extra couple of quid to protect a £50+ device is worth it in my opinion even if it may seem overkill.

What's the phrase? "better safe than sorry"?

Won’t those in the link hold it at a stable 12v when it is charging then Dave? Have I looked at wrong ones?

Won’t those in the link hold it at a stable 12v when it is charging then Dave? Have I looked at wrong ones?
My Reply was to witzends comment about used the 12V (which could be easily 14.5V) supply direct.

I would think they would do the job of a stable voltage, but is 1.5A enough? might want something with a greater capability so not running the regualtor at full whack?

I will look a bit more, started glazing over lol

Regarding MI Fi units. Will a normal mob phone sim work in a Mi Fi thing ? (for data)
Yes (y)
I have a 4G MiFi Dongle and first used a SKY Mobile phone SIM in it and then recently put in a THREE Phone SIM. Both SIMS are on Phone Contracts with Calls, Texts and Data, but I just only use the Data.

I don't know if this is right size as found one at home but its similar to what I used for a month now eBay link

Did get one from the link today an its the right size

Last edited:
I don't know if this is right size as found one at home but its similar to what I used for a month now eBay link

Did get one from the link today an its the right size
Thanks for the info on that I did see the link and will keep it in mind. I wanted to run a permanent connection so I wasn’t taking up one of my 12v sockets as we both have phones, tablets and watches that we charge.

I ordered a buck converter from Amazon along with male and female connectors, I was going to break into the supplied power lead the way Dave does but it th male connector is the right size I will just use that. I am picking the van up and off again later today so will know over the next few days if my solution works okay and will update then
These are the parts that I have to try:
Buck convertor
Power connectors

those plugs look interesting. I have some standard jack plugs and sockets and I find them the most awkward things to wire up and solder.

those plugs look interesting. I have some standard jack plugs and sockets and I find them the most awkward things to wire up and solder.
Yes I purposely got them to try the screw connectors, my eyes and hands struggle with small soldering jobs these days, lack of practice won’t help either :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back