Millenials trying to make money and look cool

I donā€™t mind the tubers who at least review a van or a places to visit but itā€™s becoming overwhelming them trying to make there lives seem cool because the donā€™t want to work and live in a van. There all gonna be found roaming around in a pack in some distant desert somewhere like a Mad max movie

There are so many people doing video blogs of their life in vans, most of them are just self indulgent rubbish. Iā€™ve been watching one couple, now in Spain, not on holiday but ā€œ workingā€ apparently, who just use it as a platform to show how wonderful they are and most recently to spread misinformation about how the Uk will operate next year, because they heard something being discussed about it at their campsite.
I donā€™t understand why people follow them, let alone donate money as I saw watching another couple who now live on a boat, asked for donations to fund their lifestyle, whilst buying a brand new motorhome!

Watched it but couldn't see much about van life on it! Got bored, won't be subscribing!
I am following a blog by the chap who converted our van, he decided to travel with his kids ( who were home educated anyway) and is currently on the Algarve. Some bits I skip, but the last where he took us through his conversion after six months, with pros and cons was interesting and useful. They have Irish passports so need it not an issue. Covid did alter plans but they adapted them to confirm with rules.
I agree there are too many and some are just plain boring!
Why not enjoy the moment rather than spend all your time filming it?

Tour of conversion ...mwb for four. Not everyone's taste..a bit hippy....But informative!

Last edited:
There are a couple (of people) that have been good, but a lot I just can't watch. From just plain dull, to people who look so un-natural in front of a camera it's not for me.

I also find more attention seems to be paid to the way something is shot than the actual content, which is not what I want to see. Campervanculture was about the only one I ever went back to again and again, but not seen any of that for ages.

So I don't bother any more. That's all IMO of course, some people seem to like it.

Not sure what a millenial is, but good luck to those people who want to try something different for a time.

There are loads of people out there with channels documenting their life on the road. Some of them are interesting.

Others (possibly millenials? aged mid to late 20's at a guess) can get very boring (to me, anyway) - but they seem to have a following of similiarly aged people - that is probably the key... most people on this forum (myself included) likely don't want to watch the activities of Millenials as we are probably closer to being Centurians

i found the life so interesting and fun that i doubt if i could have found time to do any kind of blog even if they'd existed . just living was so all-consuming, playing with the kids ,washing clothes,making stuff to sell on the markets ,finding firewood for the stove etc . no telly of course ,nearly all waking hours were spent out of the van, only using it for eating and sleeping . i couldn't imagine telling a load of strangers all the minutiae of our daily lives

@mr brown I think that is what is my issue, telling me something I can use...yes, but a lot of stuff is like selfies...only of interest to the person making it. Can be a bit self indulgent and posed. But as wildebus says, maybe it's a generation thing! I would rather enjoy the moment firsthand than try to record it for others and the future.

Making Videos about anything is immensely time consuming and very personal to the creator.
I briefly scanned through the video in the OPs post, it was pretty boring to me but obviously not to the creators nor to the sort of people that will like the escapism that sort of thing provides.

That is the entire point of the YouTube platform it appeals to all and sundry and every creator eventually gains a growing following even me!

Unfortunately some people seem to want to criticise for no other reason than because they can. We seemingly increasingly live in a weird society where often those that contribute the least seem to be the ones that complain the most!

To receive more tailored content people often forget the value of the dislike button on platforms like YouTube.

It is not specifically there to send ones negativity to the creator although obviously any decent creator will be demoralised if there are too many, it's actually there for the viewer to tell YouTube they disliked or liked that type of content.
Hence the all knowing Algorithm will in theory push less or more of the same to a users feed in the future.

I suspect many newbies love the idea of spending what seems to be never ending holiday living in a van, like for example Tread the Globe appear to do, by living via income from their subscribers, patreon, shop, affiliates, and the free advertising they provide in return for freebies or mountainous plates of food seen in many of their videos. It must seem a cosy way to live to many budding van lifers.

However that is not a true reflection of their reality. They probably spend long hours days after day working to create their video content, blogs emails etc. and the amount of money they get as compensation is probably way below minimum wage!

We see a mere snapshot of their existence it can't be fun spending days even weeks cooped up in a tiny box when the weathers not right etc either.

The couple the OP posted are not yet proper 'van lifers' (imho) but they are at the start of that journey, and if they stick it out for a year or two can probably then justifiably claim that badge, in the meantime good luck to them!

I am fascinated by everyone else's photos as they contain so much info, in a short snapshot.

Sorry, but I almost never watch other people's travel videos because, for me, the spiel seems to go on for ages. I thought I was just another miserable git until both our sons admitted they feel the same.

My phobia started many years ago when a friend invited us round to see his videos of a boat ride through the Panama Canal. I had trouble staying awake. šŸ˜³

Well, here's one couple who get my vote.

The Indie Projects

Simply because I like them, and I also find their videos quite enjoyable and informative.
I was hoping to see them at the International Campervan Show back in April 2020 at Stratford, unfortunately the world got in the way :(

Horses for courses?

If the technology had been around back then, maybe mr brown and some of the rest of us would have jumped on the bandwagon and done the same thing? It's a neat way to get to do what you like doing while earning a living at the same time.

But I 100% agree that YouTube (and other parts of the social web) is awash with a world of absolute self-absorbed (insert whatever rude words, choose your own)!

Many are not worth the time of day, or the waste of bandwidth, for all manner of good reasons.

The indie projects were pretty entertaining (I only say were instead of are as have little interest in their portugal shack renovations).

I just wish they would say 'butter' right though! :D (buT-Ter, not ber-err)

Well, here's one couple who get my vote.

The Indie Projects

Yep, their trip around Scandinavia was interesting but the excess use of "super excited" starts to become a real irritant after a while.
Quite a few youtubers seem to go ott with superlatives unfortunately.

However most in the UK are quite reserved compared to the yanks thankfully!

My other pet hate are click bait titles, people must be really desperate to lower themselves to that resort.

Yep, their trip around Scandinavia was interesting but the excess use of "super excited" starts to become a real irritant after a while.
Quite a few youtubers seem to go ott with superlatives unfortunately.

However most in the UK are quite reserved compared to the yanks thankfully!

My other pet hate are click bait titles, people must be really desperate to lower themselves to that resort.
These UK Youtubers are great, smashing, super :)

(I wonder if any of them are towing a speedboat?)

Reactions: Rec
For entertainment value "Tinie planet" you wouldn't want to be travelling with her, mind :)
"Nomadic Movement" for what's developing , as they are not travelling at the moment

Another vote for Tinie planet from me but, would you adam and eve it, she's having a big problem with her van at the moment.

Also like the `Tread the Globe` couple, apart from Chris's mad cackle!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back