Mini Router Data Package

Kontikiman

Hi can any of my fellow Motorhomers advise me what is the best Data Package available for a Mini Router. And what is the Best Wi-fi Aerial to put on the roof. Thanks in Advance.
Kontikiman.

Hi can any of my fellow Motorhomers advise me what is the best Data Package available for a Mini Router. And what is the Best Wi-fi Aerial to put on the roof. Thanks in Advance.
Kontikiman.
How much data do you think you need?
if "oodles", then an unlimited package is a good idea.
if "tiny", then you can get a 24 month deal for £40 all in which gives you 100MB a month.

or something inbetween.

I use this
Just got one for £31.39 but I think the offer has finished.
David
Hi David just looked on Amazon the offer as ended it’s now £44.49 for 24 gig it’s still not bad because it’s for a 24 month contract so I may go for that or wait a couple of weeks and see if the offer comes back on.Thanks Kontikiman.
I use this
Just got one for £31.39 but I think the offer has finished.
David

3 offer a unlimited contract data + router for £22 month the router works on 240v with adaptor or 12v without. I've used this successfully all over EU for 3 yrs my router is a Huawei B311 which if you bought separate you could take advantage of Phils cash back deal. I bought a external antenna but never needed it ever

Last edited:
I recently switched our home wifi to EE 4G as the stuff coming through the telephone line was so poor (1.5mbs download, 0.7mbs upload!). I went with the unlimited option for 50 quid a month and apparently I can take the router with me so can carry on using the unlimited allowance when we are in the MH. It even works abroad too so they told me.

We are off in our MH for our first jaunt of the year next Sunday, so I'll try it out then.

Using a Huawei 5054 on EE 200gb for £21 a month

simular to above i have a huawei cube from 3 had it 3 years now it’s my home broadband and i take it away with me also i have unlimited data in uk capped abroad £18 a month sim package ,
3 are doing a cheap home broadband deal that might work with an adapter and be able to take with you on your travels

simular to above i have a huawei cube from 3 had it 3 years now it’s my home broadband and i take it away with me also i have unlimited data in uk capped abroad £18 a month sim package ,
3 are doing a cheap home broadband deal that might work with an adapter and be able to take with you on your travels
Or you could have the home broadband deal and transfer the aim when travelling, to a Huawei type mifi unit. Would recommend getting one with the option for antennae ( some don't have this) . Use in EU seems to be limited to around 25gb month with all providers now.

I recently switched our home wifi to EE 4G as the stuff coming through the telephone line was so poor (1.5mbs download, 0.7mbs upload!). I went with the unlimited option for 50 quid a month and apparently I can take the router with me so can carry on using the unlimited allowance when we are in the MH. It even works abroad too so they told me.

We are off in our MH for our first jaunt of the year next Sunday, so I'll try it out then.
I did similar last autumn, but with Smarty at £15/month for 100GB/month for 12 months (special offer). Will be upgrading to unlimited at £20/month when the deal has expired. Bought a Teltonika router, 230v and 12v power supplies, external antennae for home and moho. Much improved bandwidth for downloads and difference particularly noticeable on uploads (great for cloud backups).

Reactions: GMJ
I did similar last autumn, but with Smarty at £15/month for 100GB/month for 12 months (special offer). Will be upgrading to unlimited at £20/month when the deal has expired. Bought a Teltonika router, 230v and 12v power supplies, external antennae for home and moho. Much improved bandwidth for downloads and difference particularly noticeable on uploads (great for cloud backups).

That's a good price. Due to our rural location we are held to ransom somewhat by lack of providers and coverage. Tbf to EE my download has gone from 1.5mbs to 50mbs and my upload from 0.7 to 5!

Is the external antenna specific to your router or a generic one you have bought? If its the latter any chance of a link?

please let us no how you get on. best of luck. gwil. ok.pj

That's a good price. Due to our rural location we are held to ransom somewhat by lack of providers and coverage. Tbf to EE my download has gone from 1.5mbs to 50mbs and my upload from 0.7 to 5!

Is the external antenna specific to your router or a generic one you have bought? If its the latter any chance of a link?
The antennae are:

Home: https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html
Moho: https://www.solwise.co.uk/a-puck-5

I purchased them elsewhere (Google is your friend!), but that website is a useful resource. The specifications were selected on the basis of my router (4G, 2 aerial ports for mobile signal, 2 aerial ports for WiFi, 1 aerial port for GPS). At home, I use the XPOL-1 for the mobile signal and the WiFi aerials supplied with the router. In the moho, the Puck-5 handles everything.

I believe that EE and 3 (Smarty's parent company) share some transmitter infrastructure, so you might find that you have options regarding provider. 3 do not offer their home broadband in my postcode, but with the external antenna I get far better speeds with my 4G mobile router than with my now defunct landline. If they do offer it in your area (check at http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband) then you should hopefully find that Smarty's performance is good.

Thanks TJBi.

That website does look useful. In fact from it, I think I have identified that my router has 2 x SMA connectors on the back of it which which need an 8mm spanner.

I'll check how good the signal is when we are away and see whether I need an antenna. Do you have yours fixed permanently to your MH? If not , how do you mount it?

I double checked: no 3 offering in my area unfortunately. The only ones available are BT and EE.

I use Smarty as they now only do 1 month contracts and you can change it as required so I use 1GB at £6 a month while its been in storage then change it to unlimited @£20 a month when we go away and I cant be bothered with the satellite and skybox. I have battery monitoring in the van hence the reason for keeping it on.
on the £6 you get money back for unused data.

Does 3 connect through a uk ip address like Vodaphone so you can still use iPlayer and suchlike with need for a VPN?

Thanks TJBi.

That website does look useful. In fact from it, I think I have identified that my router has 2 x SMA connectors on the back of it which which need an 8mm spanner.

I'll check how good the signal is when we are away and see whether I need an antenna. Do you have yours fixed permanently to your MH? If not , how do you mount it?

I double checked: no 3 offering in my area unfortunately. The only ones available are BT and EE.
The Puck-5 antenna is permanently fixed. The router is screwed to a piece of MDF into which I have drilled 4 holes - one at each corner. This enables me to use butterfly nuts to secure the router to a bulkhead in the moho and to a wall at home. The fixing holes on the router itself do not have enough clearance around them for butterfly nuts and I didn't want to resort to spanner or socket set for fixing and removal. I am aware that others use velcro for securing routers, but having had issues with self-adhesive velcro coming unstuck in hot weather, I prefer something more durable.

Thanks

Is the antenna on your roof? How did/do you pass the cables through to the MH insides? Did you drill holes to run them?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back