Minority spoiling it for the majority again!!

We've seen many people discharge "grey tanks" whilst driving down the road. I don't know about your domestic habits, but forcing food waste down sink if not what we do. I'm sure that you are just stirring the pot for kicks. We try very hard to leave no evidence of or travels. Not only for our satisfaction, but for the benefit and education of others.

Mark

We are the same leave no trace. Even the tax man cannot find you then.

Since motorhomers bring their own facilities and day trippers don't, who is the more likely to foul up ???
Most probably "new age travellers". They don't give a toss about other people or the places where they park up.

I have seen it on so many occasions throughout my travels in the UK!

Generally speaking, from what I have seen, the culprits are driving stealth vans and look as if they haven't had any kind of wash for many a long month.

But I agree with other comments, are the authorities sure that the problems being caused by motorhomers as I have seen many beautiful remote spots in Scotland and Wales totally ruined by irresponsible cyclists and campers!!

Bring back conscription as well as a whle lot of self respect :mad:
Bring back conscription and it should be in a form of diciplined public service. Just properly supervised picking up rubbish would be a star! But real discipline please.

I wonder where this thread is going!
It's an on going problem which all the talking in the world won't change as there will always be someone out there that just doesn't care or has different values to the majority of us.

I’ve a feeling a lot of the problem is the large increase in motorhome/camper van hire companies who attract a different type of camper. Whilst there are some great hire companies there are also plenty who barely cover the basics and only pay lip service to the etiquette of motorhome use. It’s becoming an issue right across the Scottish Highlands this year.

Most probably "new age travellers". They don't give a toss about other people or the places where they park up.
Thought that kind of attitude had disappeared. Seen just as much crap & mess left behind by "shiny whites" who also seem to be the worst offenders for taking up more than one parking space, either by bad parking or by putting awnings & tables out etc.

As someone has already mentioned, people have different views on grey waste disposal, and it will probably remain so.
My view is that grey waste should primarily go down a sewer drain like it does at home, however, I have parked up on a remote grassy spot and emptied my grey waste near shrubbery before, and noticed that there is a smell, initially, which seems to go away once the fluid has drained into the ground. But has it?
There is no such thing as clean washing up water (IMHO), something which should not be dumped whilst exiting a car park.

When we owned our sites in France we never objected to people letting their grey waste empty onto the ground just as long as it was filtered first and for those who used to have extended hoses through which they drained their waste, we always asked them to position these hoses so that they watered the shrubs and bushes, but not directly, instead spacing them away from the nearest plant by about 1 meter.

Picked up the discarded waste from a McDonald’s meal scattered all over the lovely spot at Kingclere yesterday...... Wrapper bags serviettes straws & boxes littering the area along with lots of the latest craze of helium bomb capsules.
The crows were not happy tho as they were pecking into the sealed discarded bbq sauce pots for their breakfast.

We had a trip to NZ earlier this year. We had a hired Motorhome with all the facilities on board. If you don’t have all facilities on board you are not allowed to wild amp and must use camps that have facilities available this law in New Zealand personally I thought what a great idea

Live near Cromarty. Have just heard that they are going to stop motorhome and camping on the links at the front because a few people have decided to use the gras for their toilet and the beach for their rubbish .what is wrong with some people?
I read that The Highland Council required the land owners to apply for a site licence as it was private land. A friend of mine who is a Cromarty business owner & doesn’t appreciate the drop in trade is approaching the Community Council to push for a grown up resolution.
It seems ironic that Nairn Harbour c/p had well in excess of 20 m/h of various size and shapes last weekend ! I drove in and drove out again as I’ve no wish to upset the locals!!
I’m a full timer and have not witnessed rubbish & black waste being shared amongst the public but I’ve seen a growing number who let the grey waste just drip out from under the vans!! This is mostly due to but not exclusive to the rental fraternity!!?

I'm sure that you are just stirring the pot for kicks. Mark
Not at all. I think it's a disgusting habit throwing waste water anywhere but down a drain intended for it. There are waste water containers on wheels that can be used to take waste water to a place intended for its disposal throwing it into a hedgerow/garden is just laziness

When you go on a ccclub meet you are normally asked to spread the grey waste round the field edge. Some sites ask you to use your waste water to give their shrubs a drink. Only black waste to the disposal points where the waste container is a tank that has to be emptied at great expense.

We had a trip to NZ earlier this year. We had a hired Motorhome with all the facilities on board. If you don’t have all facilities on board you are not allowed to wild camp and must use camps that have facilities available this law in New Zealand personally I thought what a great idea.
We toured NZ in a campervan in 2000 and witnessed many times the kids traveling their gap year in cars just surface crapping and leaving tissue everywhere in laybys and wild camp locations - which later naturally resulted in the ban to address that disgusting issue.

I read that The Highland Council required the land owners to apply for a site licence as it was private land. A friend of mine who is a Cromarty business owner & doesn’t appreciate the drop in trade is approaching the Community Council to push for a grown up resolution.
It seems ironic that Nairn Harbour c/p had well in excess of 20 m/h of various size and shapes last weekend ! I drove in and drove out again as I’ve no wish to upset the locals!!
I’m a full timer and have not witnessed rubbish & black waste being shared amongst the public but I’ve seen a growing number who let the grey waste just drip out from under the vans!! This is mostly due to but not exclusive to the rental fraternity!!?
Same happened in Burry Port Harbour last weekend, we pulled in to take a look on Friday PM there was only three MH's so we stayed over, come Saturday night there was around fifteen vans so we pulled out Sunday AM leaving no trace of our visit. I have to say last year a height barrier was erected to keep vans off the far end as locals where saying they could never park up on weekends, on Saturday there was the usual big car boot sale and in the afternoon the annual raft race took place in the harbour, being very busy you would have thought the car park beyond the height barrier would be full but there was only about 8 cars there so where were the locals??? couldn't be bothered to support their local events. The weather was fantastic. We have now paid for a yearly Parking Permit to park in the car parks on the full length of the Millennium path (7 in total) the cost being £37.50and make a decision on the day as to whether we overnight or not.

Whilst there were ot of vans at Burry Port last year I think the main issue was parking too close to each other and some people leaving 'human waste' in the bins (which were insufficient for the number of people) rather than using the nearby totes and cassette disposal point.
To be fair these were not always open which didn't help but is still no excuse.
Good tip about the parking permit - mind you the old place was absolutely ideal for beach access and swimming.
Closure was really only a matter of time with the E745 lifeboat station and redevelopment of the harbour facilities.
There's even housing on the cards and that would've been the final straw.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back