Modified sine wave and induction hob

If you have available height (maybe batteries are under a bench seat?), I would recommend these 160Ah Lead Carbon batteries - https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...rbon-gel-ultra-deep-cycle-battery-exp12-160c/.
I have had the 110Ah version for a couple of years now (have 3 of them in fact)
hi wildebus . i have my old leisure battery's in the outside locker which is a separate system to the camper as i cook a lot outside when wintering in Spain & don't want to buy electric . what do you run off your battery's Cheyanne

DSC01963.JPG

hi wildebus . i have my old leisure battery's in the outside locker which is a separate system to the camper as i cook a lot outside when wintering in Spain & don't want to buy electric . what do you run off your battery's Cheyanne

View attachment 67257
Whatever I like :D
well, specifically, I try to use Electric instead of Gas so 240V Compressor Fridge, Microwave, Induction Hob, Electric element for hot water.
I do have 200Ah of Lithium as well that run with the 300Ah of Lead Carbon. (added Lithium about 6 months later as a bit of an experiment).

I know some people like to have two seperate systems but the downside is some duplication of charging systems and you can, depending on your usage, end up with one bank with spare power and the other drained but which is the one you want to use.

hi wildebus . what do you charge your battery's up with so many conflicting answers . just ordered 2 110ah like your will probably get 1 more next pension day . Cheyanne
I have:
EHU Mains Charging - Victron Multiplus 70A
Alternater Split Charging - Ablemail B2Bs (upto 90A)
Solar Charging - pair of Victron 100/20 20A MPPTs

All are configured to charge basically as 14.3V Absorption, 13.7V Float or thereabouts. Just go by what is writen on the side of the battery (y)

I have:
EHU Mains Charging - Victron Multiplus 70A
Alternater Split Charging - Ablemail B2Bs (upto 90A)
Solar Charging - pair of Victron 100/20 20A MPPTs

All are configured to charge basically as 14.3V Absorption, 13.7V Float or thereabouts. Just go by what is writen on the side of the battery (y)
hi wilde . that's what i like a man knows what he's talking about . yes my solar panels at the back feed through a 20a mppt regulator which i can change the settings to match battery's . i will be bringing the m/h home to install so will take some pic's just incase its useful to anyone
Cheyanne

If you have available height (maybe batteries are under a bench seat?), I would recommend these 160Ah Lead Carbon batteries - https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...rbon-gel-ultra-deep-cycle-battery-exp12-160c/.
I have had the 110Ah version for a couple of years now (have 3 of them in fact)
hi guys . i would like to thank WILDEBUS & MISTERICEMAN for the heads up to alpha batterys . i bought 2 ( will probably buy 1 more ) of these as i am well impressed . Cheyanne P.S got £25 off being a member on here so i an quid's in

i don’t regret my hybrid system at the time cost wise a very good compromise 100A lithium 160A lead carbon has worked fine just had 3 months away didn’t plug in once , but if these fog star batteries had been around think i would have found something there and the prices compared to even 5 years ago are cheap , the weight saving alone is worthwhile but say a 280 A fog star would give the usable amp hours equivalent to 5 x 100A lead acids for 20% of the weight with not a lot of price difference between the two set ups , the 460A one = 9 normal lead acids 15% of the weight ! plus now you can get a 230A battery shaped to fit under your seat for £800,

i don’t regret my hybrid system at the time cost wise a very good compromise 100A lithium 160A lead carbon has worked fine just had 3 months away didn’t plug in once , but if these fog star batteries had been around think i would have found something there and the prices compared to even 5 years ago are cheap , the weight saving alone is worthwhile but say a 280 A fog star would give the usable amp hours equivalent to 5 x 100A lead acids for 20% of the weight with not a lot of price difference between the two set ups , the 460A one = 9 normal lead acids 15% of the weight ! plus now you can get a 230A battery shaped to fit under your seat for £800,
it is remarkable the way some Lithiums are still dropping in price. I expected them to stabilise if not actually go up!
One comment on your comparision though ... you are comparing a Lithium running down to around 10% SOC (90% DOD) to a Lead Acid going down to around 50% SOC? An advanced Lead Carbon battery like you have you can take down to a level of 40% SOC regularly or even 30% SOC. you can actually take them down just as low as Lithium if you want with no worries other than some shortening of their Service Life (which is true of Lithium as well).
What happens in reality is not the SOC % is the limiting factor but the actual voltage starts to be too low for most of the electrics in a Motorhome to operate - so the battery becomes self-limiting in effect (a bit like how a BMS in a Lithium cuts off the battery when it gets too low).
so maybe the 280A Fogstar is equivalent to maybe 4 x 100Ah Lead Carbon.

Hybrid is still handy if you have decent Lead Acid batteries fitted that are too good to throw out (and you have some spare payload/space)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back