Modified sine wave and induction hob

Steve our induction hob goes up from 100watts to 2000watt in 100 increments and was only 37quid View attachment 64855
I obviously looked in the wrong place ... Thought I'd done well buying where stock was available, and where, even after delivery costs, the price was lower than the Vango website ... Maybe I could buy a Bertstein, Jeff, and pretend I'd save over £25 ... :D

We don't have the mini power station of solar and lithium that you have, so we plumped for a Hob that would sit within the capacity of our modest, but perfectly formed, [!] Lithium and Inverter capacities ... 'cos I'd need to add the cost of a funeral if I told Elaine that the bad news was that I'd buggered up the Inverter and the Lithium, but the good news is that we'd saved £25 on the Hob .... :rolleyes:

Steve

Last edited:
Steve our induction hob goes up from 100watts to 2000watt in 100 increments and was only 37quid View attachment 64855
You can set it from 100W to 2000W in 100W Increments, but does it actually draw the stated power consistantly? or does it cycle between full and off with different duty cycles to average out the set power?

Way to tell ... put on some water in a saucepan and when up to heat see if the water consistently bubbles, or does it bubble, stop, bubble, stop?
An Induction Hob that runs truely at the different settings for £37 would be a very good deal indeed I would say.
(the same power process happens with 99.9% of Microwaves).

i asked jan whether she wanted me to get an induction hob and was informed rather loudly that she didn’t want to part with her Tefal ingenio pan set ,i’d better not let her see that they now do the ingenio as an induction set or it’ll cost me another £150 to save a fivers worth of gas lol

speed saving as well as gas :)
I looked at those Ingenio pans. Bit pricey for no Induction compatibility :( I bought the Isabella set instead (https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/camping-cookware/9206-isabella-nine-piece-saucepan-set.html).

I've not tried these myself, but you can get a plate to allow "non-compatible" pans to work with Induction Hobs - https://amzn.to/3SNHQjm
The Reviews suggest that care is needed to avoid scratching the Induction Hob Top, and that it is easy to forget that you are using the adapter plate [rather than the appropriate pan], select a program setting, instead of a max 50% manual setting, and cause the Adapter Plate to buckle, ruining it. And it's also aluminium, which has been linked to Alzheimers, a risk I'd rather avoid. My memory's bad enough! Lastly, there's the extra storage space, because the handle is fixed to the Adapter Plate. I'd prefer to buy a suitable [set of] pans, probably Tefal Ingenico so that we can use the existing detachable handles, and know that everything will fit into our rather limited storage space. But this is just my preference, rather than a proper evaluation, and I do have more money than sense, says he, counting the 75p in his pocket :D

Steve

The Reviews suggest that care is needed to avoid scratching the Induction Hob Top, and that it is easy to forget that you are using the adapter plate [rather than the appropriate pan], select a program setting, instead of a max 50% manual setting, and cause the Adapter Plate to buckle, ruining it. And it's also aluminium, which has been linked to Alzheimers, a risk I'd rather avoid. My memory's bad enough! Lastly, there's the extra storage space, because the handle is fixed to the Adapter Plate. I'd prefer to buy a suitable [set of] pans, probably Tefal Ingenico so that we can use the existing detachable handles, and know that everything will fit into our rather limited storage space. But this is just my preference, rather than a proper evaluation, and I do have more money than sense, says he, counting the 75p in his pocket :D

Steve
Steve, here is something to try (and I am not joking about this) ... If you want to avoid scratching the hob, put a dishcloth between the hob and the pan. With any other type of hob, that would of course catch fire, but the way Induction Hobs work, it will only get mildly warm.

As mentioned, never used the plate as all the pans I have bar one steamer set work on Induction (and that includes a childrens play set from IKEA!).
I wouldn't worry about if the adapter plate is Aluminium - the thing with Altzimers is to do with the metal in Aluminium pots leaching into the food when cooking, and the plate is not in contact with the food in any way (I think that aluminium thing has been disproved actually as well?).
PS. I would be surprised if the adapter IS aluminium as the problem pans that don't work are Aluminium and they need to have a Ferrous (magnetic) base.

Check out those Isabella pans if you are looking for pans for the Induction hob - My set came with two detachable handles, all the pots stack very nicely and IMO the quality is brilliant. (I do like Tefal stuff though).

I've almost exclusively used Induction Hobs for the last 9 years. Both at home and in Campers as well.

speed saving as well as gas :)
I looked at those Ingenio pans. Bit pricey for no Induction compatibility :( I bought the Isabella set instead (https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/camping-cookware/9206-isabella-nine-piece-saucepan-set.html).

I've not tried these myself, but you can get a plate to allow "non-compatible" pans to work with Induction Hobs - https://amzn.to/3SNHQjm
For me not a good idea as the intermediate plate will get hot and remain hot for a while after use
A tad dangerous especially if you forget !
You are effectively turning the cooker into an old fashioned electric hot plate.
You can buy one much cheaper if that is what you need/want

Our induction hob sits on top of the gas hob when on EHU otherwise it stays in the drawer and we use gas for cooking. The Judge induction hob always starts at 1200w and you can turn it upto 2000w or downto 200w. As its all electronic I would have thought that a pure sinewave inverter would be better but we would need something in excess of 2000w so cannot see the point.

I asked on my last pacemaker clinic if it would be safe for me to use an induction hob. To my surprise, I was told that there shouldn’t be a problem, as long as I was 50cm away from it. I was warned while cooking, not to lean over the saucepan to smell the food. Looking now for cooking utensils over 2 foot long🤬

I asked on my last pacemaker clinic if it would be safe for me to use an induction hob. To my surprise, I was told that there shouldn’t be a problem, as long as I was 50cm away from it. I was warned while cooking, not to lean over the saucepan to smell the food. Looking now for cooking utensils over 2 foot long🤬
Employ a Cook.
Then get a towbar and little trailer for them to live in while you are on the road.

Sorted

We had 3 x 100ah lead acids
Charged by 200w solar and a Durite VSR
The van had a high output alternator and we tended to move on every couple of days or so ...
Never had an issue with lack of power even in winter and bearing in mind all our cooking was electric (slow cooker/toaster/microwave/hob)
hi thanks for that i have 3 / 110ah bat's ( old lead jobs ) but they must be knackered as they will only run the inverter for 3 minutes so i am looking at these .Cheyanne https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/leoch/plhc100/

hi thanks for that i have 3 / 110ah bat's ( old lead jobs ) but they must be knackered as they will only run the inverter for 3 minutes so i am looking at these .Cheyanne https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/leoch/plhc100/
Before you purchase ....have you checked on Alpha batteries ...

They are usually very keen on price ...AND there is a further discount for full members on here .

Make sure your charging systems are up to dealing with AGMs as they require slightly different handling to ensure maximum benefit .

If you have available height (maybe batteries are under a bench seat?), I would recommend these 160Ah Lead Carbon batteries - https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...rbon-gel-ultra-deep-cycle-battery-exp12-160c/.
I have had the 110Ah version for a couple of years now (have 3 of them in fact)

Last edited:
Before you purchase ....have you checked on Alpha batteries ...

They are usually very keen on price ...AND there is a further discount for full members on here .

Make sure your charging systems are up to dealing with AGMs as they require slightly different handling to ensure maximum benefit .
hi mistericeman. thanks for that i was looking at their web site . first where is the discount on here secondly i am charging up my 3 old leisure bat's from 2 /120w solar panels through a mppt regulator which is separate from the habitation charging system . i bought the renogy 2000w inverter so i need new battery's to power this up . Cheyanne p.s the 2 panels at the back

InkedDSC00742 solar panels_LI.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back