Monthly PAYG EE Sim as an alternative/backup to Smarty, suggestions please

CriftinsCampers

What I like about Smarty is I only pay for months when we are using the van, right now we are paying £10 for 60gb of data.
My last £10 worth ran out last weekend, next £10 worth won’t get bought until late August when we go to the big picnic.

This makes Smarty extremely economical. I get emails saying the plans run out but they don’t seem to start to cancel the account for about 6 months and we’ve never gone that long without buying another months worth.

But....
I am after an EE sim for use in the uk as an alternative to Smarty, unfortunately I often find despite my external Poynting antenna that there’s less service from Smarty (on Three) than on my phone, which is on Virgin I.e was Vodaphone now O2.

I don’t know what my type of contract is called?
Is there an EE equivalent that works in the same way?

Thanks

PS the search tool doesn't like three letter words like SIM, as I found out when I tried searching before posting!

I have SIMs from SMARTY and 1pMobile for use in the van's mifi. 1p SIM use the EE network which, I find, works better in most places. A useful feature of the 1p monthly data bundles is that you can top up as soon as they run out. You don't have to wait until your 30days are up.

I have SIMs from SMARTY and 1pMobile for use in the van's mifi. 1p SIM use the EE network which, I find, works better in most places. A useful feature of the 1p monthly data bundles is that you can top up as soon as they run out. You don't have to wait until your 30days are up.
Ah yes that might be useful thanks

Have a look at your o2 contract as they now offer free roaming and you can roll over unused data
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop
I have an unlimited O2 sim in my phone, I use the hotspot via that when there's no Three coverage, getting an EE sim will simply cover off when the other two aren't working which does happen occasionally.

Rgw use the EE network and have some vfm plans which might work for you

RWG uses the EE network through Now Mobile. Interestingly, I was recently in a location with very poor mobile coverage and at times appeared to be on the Vodafone and O2 networks, so perhaps there is some form of UK roaming agreement in place for when there is no EE signal.

Switched both our phones to rwg today .
200gb £20per month .
So that's 400gb for the winter sun.

EE PAYG SIMs work out quite expensive for data, even though you only need to top it up when you want it, provided that you make a paid connection to EE every 6 months (or 180 days, can't remember which exactly). I also vote for Popit. It's on the EE network, full allowance available when EU roaming, can change back and forth between plans every month or place on pause for £1 a month when not needed. Possibly the nearest to Smarty, but better coverage in many areas. I used to keep a Smarty and EE SIMs in the van for the MiFi, but now I swap between Smarty and Popit as needed.

Popit pay monthly SIM uses EE and allows use of full allowance in EU at no extra cost so long as you keep using it in UK.
Yes, we used Popit in France & Spain for the first time last month and had no issues (100GB plan). We've used it several times this year already when we've travelled to Scotland and can say that it worked well for us. Coverage is excellent and the added bonus is being able to pause it when not required!

Yes, we used Popit in France & Spain for the first time last month and had no issues (100GB plan). We've used it several times this year already when we've travelled to Scotland and can say that it worked well for us. Coverage is excellent and the added bonus is being able to pause it when not required!
Ah. How do you pause it whilst still showing sufficient use in UK? We spend 6 months p/a in EU.

Ah. How do you pause it whilst still showing sufficient use in UK? We spend 6 months p/a in
You'll have what they call 'roaming compliance' score which calculates how much required data you need to use in UK. Basically, it has to be 100% to pause or even cancel and you can do both directly from your account. So, our current score is currently at 78% so we anticipate some Netflix viewing this weekend to get it to 100%! click on 'on hold' and that's it. There's a small fee of £1.00 a month, which is bearable if you ask me 😅

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back