More private speed detection cars in France

snapster

For those few who seem to find it a daunting prospect to keep to French speed limits, I read this today

The number of unmarked speed detection cars operated by private companies is set to triple on roads in France this year, road authority la Sécurité routière has announced.

The number of vehicles is set to increase from 83 to 223 by the end of the year

The speed tolerance for onboard cameras, either private or police, is however more generous than for fixed cameras: 10kph higher than the limit allowed within speed zones up to 100kph or 10% above the limit after that. The tolerance limit for fixed cameras is 5kph and then 5%.”

But, for the rest of us that can……

“'Intelligent' traffic lights that turn green when vehicles approach at the correct speed and allow them to pass without stopping have been authorised by the Interior Ministry months after it had ordered local authorities to remove similar traffic measures.

The lights will stay on red for those motorists travelling too quickly, forcing them to wait. “

They work very well, but it can be irritating when you are travelling at a legal speed and come up behind someone who has been stopped for travelling just a tad over the limit - compulsory wait for about 30 seconds

My Tom Tom beeps when I break the limits, a bit annoying at times but is a useful aide memoir (see what I did there) to the usually reasonably full attention I give to the roads.

I have seen the intelligent traffic lights in action in France for many years now. I think they are great since you cannot ignore them. Better than the smiley/grumpy faced numeric red/green signs.

Can’t understand why they are not in use here.

Davy

Out of interest have any of you come home to face a speeding ticket after a trip to France?

I picked up a speeding ticket in Spain in January 2019 which was waiting for me when I got home in March. It was supposed to be paid within XX days but I had gone over that. I rang them up and they said it was no problem to pay the lower amount. As we winter in Spain every Jan -Mar (well...in normal times that is) I paid it.

I have been flashed several time in France but never received a ticket. This has also happened when I know I haven't been speeding.

Its not our normal policy to hare about through France btw. :)

Out of interest have any of you come home to face a speeding ticket after a trip to France?

I have been flashed several time in France but never received a ticket. This has also happened when I know I haven't been speeding.

Not my normal policy either but .............. I was following a lorry one day on an 80Kph road, lorries don't normally speed, especially a French lorry who knew the limits, so I suppose I'd sort of switched off my speed awareness. I saw a camera flash, glanced at my speedo and was a bit horrified to see we were doing more like 120 Kph.
I fully expected to find a ticket when I got home but it's been more than two years now so I hope I am safe.

Reactions: GMJ

I picked up a speeding ticket in Spain in January 2019 which was waiting for me when I got home in March. It was supposed to be paid within XX days but I had gone over that. I rang them up and they said it was no problem to pay the lower amount. As we winter in Spain every Jan -Mar (well...in normal times that is) I paid it.

It may be that the speed cameras in question decided that you were a goods vehicle (based on vehicle height), which can be subject to lower limits; when the photo is subsequently checked the decision would be taken not to issue a ticket.

Yes that was always my feeling about it due to having high sides.

We are also over 3500kg but have never been ticketed when going through a maximum 80kph area on a motorway for heavy vehicles (down a hill usually) despite being flashed.

Some lower speed limit signs on motorways are just for lorries ( goods vehicles) over 3500kg and some are for all vehicles over 3500kg.
Make sure you take notice of the difference in the signs.
We’ve been flashed loads of times on motorways travelling over 90kph though it’s a bit concerning till you realise the difference between the normal speed cameras and the ones designed to detect lorries.

That's useful info to know thanks.

I'll do some research.

Edited to add: I've just had a look at several pages on Google but cant find anything relevant: could you suggest where to look or link to some pages?

ta

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back