Mot

Jeanette

Well it seems as if it’s nearly that time again and the MOT is due in May!

My car is due in May, Maggy's car is due in June and the van in July but I never worry about them because they have to be done, I worry about the cost though ?

Remember you can get the MOT done up to 1 month before it is due and it will be post-dated so you don't lose any time on the ticket.
I like to get it done as soon as possible (got my camper done last Thursday, but wasn't actually due until Mid-May) as gives you time to sort things out and shop around if there are any issues and avoid having to accept higher prices to fix as time has run out.

Just a thought worth considering?

Remember you can get the MOT done up to 1 month before it is due and it will be post-dated so you don't lose any time on the ticket.
I like to get it done as soon as possible (got my camper done last Thursday, but wasn't actually due until Mid-May) as gives you time to sort things out and shop around if there are any issues and avoid having to accept higher prices to fix as time has run out.

We phoned (well Malcolm phoned) the mechanic we always have used and he’s booking it in on Tuesday with it being a bank holiday so see what he says about getting it in, there’s always that doubt in your mind, or is that just me..lol

My most local garage & MOT station is owned by someone who, according to his staff, always feels it his duty to find something wrong and mark it down as an advisory. Guess what, since finding this out I don't use them !!

I agree, well worth doing in this period. However remember that under the new MOT rules if it fails on a serious fault you are not allowed to drive it away, even though there is unexpired time on the old certificate. The faults are automatically logged on the Government system and I suspect NPR cameras could pick this up.

I agree, well worth doing in this period. However remember that under the new MOT rules if it fails on a serious fault you are not allowed to drive it away, even though there is unexpired time on the old certificate. The faults are automatically logged on the Government system and I suspect NPR cameras could pick this up.
You can still take it away though, if you want to take it somewhere else for repairs or another MOT if you disagree with that result.
(MOT testers are not some kind of automotive expert and can get it wrong. As I've posted before, I had a car fail on brakes totally incorrectly. I took it to another garage that passed it with NO work carried out in the mean time).

You can still take it away though, if you want to take it somewhere else for repairs or another MOT if you disagree with that result.
(MOT testers are not some kind of automotive expert and can get it wrong. As I've posted before, I had a car fail on brakes totally incorrectly. I took it to another garage that passed it with NO work carried out in the mean time).
Yes but I think you must now take it away on a trailer.

Last edited:
If it fails on something serious it would be irresponsible to drive it somewhere else, even before that law came in it was illegal to drive your vehicle if it failed on something serious because you would be driving it in a dangerous condition, big difference now is that it is notified immediately to the DVLA

Well the van has gone for it’s MOT now the waiting starts and the wondering!

Ditto Wildbus. This exact situation occurred with my Wife's 11,000 mile Smart only Yesterday. Took it to my 'trusty' fixer who found nothing wrong and got it passed. The Merc dealer wanted an hours labour to 'investigate' £79.99 + VAT. Goodbye Merc dealer . . . . .

Ditto Wildbus. This exact situation occurred with my Wife's 11,000 mile Smart only Yesterday. Took it to my 'trusty' fixer who found nothing wrong and got it passed. The Merc dealer wanted an hours labour to 'investigate' £79.99 + VAT. Goodbye Merc dealer . . . . .
Yes, but if it has been logged as a dangerous fault you are breaking the law if you drive it on the public roads.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back