Motion detector alarms.

sydnsue

I have just purchased a motorhome that has no alarm fitted. Even though we have spent a fortune on it, we are not certain how long we will keep it and we are already looking for other options, therefore I am reluctant to spend the £400 upward on an alarm system. My previous van had a simple motion detection alarm that could be armed or disarmed from outside. Can anyone recommend a simple system that is simple to install and will not cost me too much?

All my vans had alarms fitted and I wished they had not. That way I could install something unconventional that thieves would not be familiar with. Let's face it, most thieves can easily get around alarms and immobilisers. As it happens I would be able to do the install myself and it wold only be the price of parts.

If the ins companies gave you a sensible discount we might consider one we might have invested but as they don't we don't and as nobody gets involved these days is there any real point to them, a simple immobiliser makes more sense, could be as simple as a out of sight switch or button.

I've use one of these for year now at home .I put the two motion sensors in the van and the unit in the hall table .I do get shouted at now and then when I forget to switch it off before going into van lololol.
Screenshot_20230717-092508_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
If the ins companies gave you a sensible discount we might consider one we might have invested but as they don't we don't and as nobody gets involved these days is there any real point to them, a simple immobiliser makes more sense, could be as simple as a out of sight switch or button.
My main worry is theft of valuables.

Had me interested until I saw it was IR. Not sure how to arm or disarm from outside the motorhome. Most van alarms work on wireless signal, same as a car alarm. Thanks anyway.
I've one works thru window

Apart from phones and tablets, we carry nothing of value, and the phones go with us and the tablets go under cushions, usually charging up, and all blinds are down when parked.

hi . we have always had a safe in the m/h's for money /passports etc & always stay on Aires . when on our trips mostly abroad plus we always get chatting to our fellow campers so when they or us go out for the day we keep our eye on their m/h . but we NEVER leave the m/h unattended while in the supermarket as especially in Spain thieves watch out for campers going in & they know they would be inside for a while or come to think of it anywhere we do that DONT be so trusting . we have had alarms on other m/h's we have had but this time we declined because they would go off when we was out arriving back to angry people . our swift came with a tracker & swift command APP £99 per year BUT i don't think we would want the m/h back if stolen .we had my XR4 stolen drive drove the bollocks off it & when we got it back & repaired it had to go it wasn't the same . cheyenne

My Crafter has the optional factory fit motion and tilt detectors.
I know this because my three Dogs quickly remind passers by of these features every time I forget to disable them when leaving them in the van….

Hth.

I leave a note on the dashboard: 'The price of Motorhomes and the increased interest rates on the repayments mean you're wasting your time looking for anything valuable. But, since you're here, you could leave a donation. £10 would buy 7 litres of diesel and would get us 45 miles down the road. It's what we do ...' 🙄

Steve

I am a photographer so security is always an issue. We take other valuables with us when we leave the van but carrying the photo equipment is impossible. A van safe is nowhere near large enough. All I can do is hide the equipment under the seats or in the washroom, so trying to stop entry to the van is my only option. It is always a worry leaving the van but most of my photography is done when we travel so leaving it all at home defeats the hobby. I have looked at rear boxes, under floor boxes etc but none of them would stop a determined thief so it comes down to a variety of deterrents, and I thought a motion detector would add to that list.

An underfloor box would do the job surely, most thieves don't want to hang about and would be in and out in a few minutes I imagine, certainly not going to be looking under the floor unless it's obvious.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back