Motion detector alarms.

An underfloor box would do the job surely, most thieves don't want to hang about and would be in and out in a few minutes I imagine, certainly not going to be looking under the floor unless it's obvious.
Not big enough. Camera case, drone case and large video cam.

You can add a second siren which can be in the gas locker or elsewhere.
Hi Peedie, this looks quite good, especially with the range of addons if required. Do you have one of these? I would prefer to buy on recommendation as I hear some alarms trigger due to 1) movement outside the windows 2) wind moving the van 3) flying insects 4) curtains moving from a draught - and probably other triggers.

I’d check with your insurance cover what is the minimum they will accept to cover your vehicle and contents. Anything less just isn’t worth it, in my opinion.
I’ve always thought the van is the second highest thing I’ve bought after the house, so I always look for the most comprehensive cove, not the cheapest.

I’d check with your insurance cover what is the minimum they will accept to cover your vehicle and contents. Anything less just isn’t worth it, in my opinion.
I’ve always thought the van is the second highest thing I’ve bought after the house, so I always look for the most comprehensive cove, not the cheapest.
The van has a tracker supplied by the insurance company. All I am after is burglar deterrents. I have additional door lock and Lock m out devices on the windows. There are no minimum requirements from my insurance company to guard against break in other than the obvious such as the vehicle must be locked. I think I have already gone further than many owners.

Fair enough. Something the dealers on my first van said to me when I asked them about extra window and door locks etc. “ You’re driving round in a van with plastic windows. Thieves know it and aren’t going to be put off by extra door locks! Get a dog!” So we did and it’s worked a treat! I’ve seen her deterrent value when a guy went to try to put his hand through the passenger window. He came with ing millimetres of losing fingers and leaving enough DNA to get a conviction anywhere!
Don’t have nightmares! 😉

Fair enough. Something the dealers on my first van said to me when I asked them about extra window and door locks etc. “ You’re driving round in a van with plastic windows. Thieves know it and aren’t going to be put off by extra door locks! Get a dog!” So we did and it’s worked a treat! I’ve seen her deterrent value when a guy went to try to put his hand through the passenger window. He came with ing millimetres of losing fingers and leaving enough DNA to get a conviction anywhere!
Don’t have nightmares! 😉
Yes, we have the dog also. The trouble is, she usually comes with us when we leave the van. I know a determined burglar will get in no matter what I do, but hopefully the deterrents will make him decide to try elsewhere.

Hi Peedie, this looks quite good, especially with the range of addons if required. Do you have one of these? I would prefer to buy on recommendation as I hear some alarms trigger due to 1) movement outside the windows 2) wind moving the van 3) flying insects 4) curtains moving from a draught - and probably other triggers.
I have just phoned the company and they confirm the PIR works on heat source only, so it should be fine. I think this will suit my needs. They even have a model that will contact my mobile if triggered, but I will probably stick with the basic model. For a few quid extra, it will come with a separate siren that can be placed anywhere, even in the house when at home.

That BT shed alarm will be deafening inside the van (130 decibels), that is exactly what you need.

If it were my van I would also rig up a 12 volt PIR (just a few £) and connect that to a 12 volt supply and an ear piercing siren (which I already have). The beauty of my additional system is that it will be virtually invisible.

They don't need to be very determined plastic windows are easy to open.

They don't need to be very determined plastic windows are easy to open.
Hopefully the attachments will make that more difficult. Even so, a crowbar will rip out the catches and frame but it's impossible to stop every possibility short of buying and converting a Securicor van. Now there's an idea 😄

Yes. I have the sensor, remote and extra siren which is in the garage of our current van. We haven't set it very often but so far it hasn't triggered unexpectedly. It is certainly loud and we only expect it to be a deterrent really. If a thief smashes the PIR I presume the extra siren will stop as well. Easy to fit. You just have to remember to change the batteries.
We have the sensor located where it can't 'see' out of the windows and would only set it with everything shut anyway.

Last edited:
Yes. I have the sensor, remote and extra siren which is in the garage of our current van. We haven't set it very often but so far it hasn't triggered unexpectedly. It is certainly loud and we only expect it to be a deterrent really. If a thief smashes the PIR I presume the extra siren will stop as well. Easy to fit. You just have to remember to change the batteries.
We have the sensor located where it can't 'see' out of the windows and would only set it with everything shut anyway.
I contacted the company and they state the siren will continue for 1 minute if the PIR is destroyed, but will not start again.

Hopefully the attachments will make that more difficult. Even so, a crowbar will rip out the catches and frame but it's impossible to stop every possibility short of buying and converting a Securicor van. Now there's an idea 😄
According to a documentary on The Flying Squad I watched on YouTube on Sunday, a Securicor, or other cash carrying company, vehicles, were the “hit of choice” by your 70’s and 80’s “blagger”! So maybe not such a good idea! Don’t have nightmares! 😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back