Motor homes

<snip> something I am not keen on is the mid-ships bathroom as it tends to split the motorhome into two halves.
<snip>
I find that the midships wetroom (port side) and galley (starboard side) provide great separation between the living and sleeping areas. Each to their own! :)
I've always thought that maritime terminology is ideal when talking about mohos. Offside and nearside change depending on the country, left and right change according to whence one is viewing, service personnel at a major dealership can't even get driver and passenger side correct (LHD), but port and starboard are unambiguous.

I find that the midships wetroom (port side) and galley (starboard side) provide great separation between the living and sleeping areas. Each to their own! :)
I've always thought that maritime terminology is ideal when talking about mohos. Offside and nearside change depending on the country, left and right change according to whence one is viewing, service personnel at a major dealership can't even get driver and passenger side correct (LHD), but port and starboard are unambiguous.
Yup, I can picture the separation being very handy if you have small shipmates that get sent off to bed while the officers have a bit of grog in peace (to continue the maritime theme :D )

Until I discovered dictionaries, I thought ambivalence was a vehicle to take one to hospital ... :rolleyes: And I'm still in two minds about schizophrenia' on the plus side I have someone to talk to, but, on the other hand, I don't know whether to believe him and neither do I ...

Steve

It's the way of forums, some come back others don't, but still we provide the answers where we can and others benefit from it.

Hi, Some Dealerships will do a "Try before you buy scheme " where you can hire the Motorhome of your choice for a short term & if your smitten you can purchase the Van having your Rental payment knocked off the Purchase Price .If you purchase Aprils issue of MMM Magazine there is info in there on Renting a Motorhome, hope this is of help Chris.

Last edited:
Lots of nice vans there, but all seem to be only for 2 as no forward facing belted seats, mine has 6 belted seats and 2 full beds.
That was a plus point for me Trev as I only wanted me in Caz lol. These days it’s just me and two of the dogs, think Caz was in it one night last year :)

/That was a plus point for me Trev as I only wanted me in Caz lol. These days it’s just me and two of the dogs, think Caz was in it one night last year :)
Dare one ask whether that one night was your birthday, Neil? :ROFLMAO:. I tried to use Google Calendar, so that I could prepare for such events, but it won't allow me to set a reminder for 3 weeks in advance ...:rolleyes: And it takes longer to type details of the 'Event' than the event itself lasts [including the time to remove my socks first, and smoking a fag afterwards]. Like crazy paving, old age is not all it's cracked up to be ...

Steve

Why for you take socks off, you posh or summat?

Dare one ask whether that one night was your birthday, Neil? :ROFLMAO:. I tried to use Google Calendar, so that I could prepare for such events, but it won't allow me to set a reminder for 3 weeks in advance ...:rolleyes: And it takes longer to type details of the 'Event' than the event itself lasts [including the time to remove my socks first, and smoking a fag afterwards]. Like crazy paving, old age is not all it's cracked up to be ...

Steve
Well, it wasn’t the anniversary of the day I was born if that’s what you mean Steve 😂😂😂

First. driving licence car licence OK for up to 3.5 tonnes gross weight fully loaded over 3.5 tonnes reguires a different licence.
Second, where will you keep the van will it fit in your garden, parked on road or storage all affect insurance, so size is important
Third how many beds do you need, how many belted seats do you need., then there is style of van A Class, Coach built, lowline, panel van conversion etc,
FOURTH. how do you intend to use the van, ie, just weekends and odd day's, weeks away, longer trips of several months etc, left or right hand drive, I would never have a left hand drive and I regularly use my right hand drive on the Continent etc. Personal choice of course. Storage in the van is very important, you will soon get fed up with a cluttered van, will you want fixed beds or be happy faffing about converting seats to beds for night use, it is a good idea to have refillable gas bottles over changing heavy bottles when they empty and refillable bottles and a gas tank is cheaper on gas prices in the long run. Do you need a shower in the van, separate shower cubicles are better than shared toilet and shower cubicles my opinion, visit lots of dealerships and shows sit in the vans play with the vans think where everything will be stored, how big is the water storage tank, etc DO NOT BELIEVE THE SALESMAN HE JUST WANTS YOUR MONEY AND CARES NOT IF YOU BUY THE WRONG VAN FOR YOUR NEEDS, There are so many pit falls in van ownership but you will love it eventually there is so much advice and knowledge available from folks on this and other forums so ask any questions you like, there are No STUPID QUESTIONS we were all dumb when we started out in the van life, Buyer beware.

<snip> left or right hand drive, I would never have a left hand drive and I regularly use my right hand drive on the Continent etc. Personal choice of course. <snip>
My personal choice is left-hand drive. :) Probably 80% of my use is in continental Europe, so right-hand drive really doesn't make sense for me. No issues with left-hand drive in the UK for the other 20%.

When self drive vans come about it will be fab, leave house in jamies and say go to graves end, hop into bed and wake up, hold on its very dark here, sh-t I said graves end not maves end. :eek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back