Motorhome Brands and Miles on clock

• Thread starter Deleted member 7512
  • Start date

Deleted member 7512

Hi,

We are currently caravanners and looking at the idea of switching at some point. We found a Itineo 720SB motorhome. Now it's alot older than our 2017 caravan is a 2008 model. It has 19K on clock so my guess is that the engine should be good for a while.

I am trying to find out which Motorhome brands are ok and which are a nightmare. Now this Itiero looks like the garage at the back corner is leaking so that is one issue, another is the steel bar under front windscreen is rusted and the seals in the front look like they are going. Has anyone else got an Itieno motorhome? I know they are rare over here being part or rapido and their budget range? Are they any good on the whole if kept once over ten years old?

The biggest issue for switching is the difference in price between caravan and motorhome. Might sell 2017 caravan for maybe 18. A motorhome that is 2009 are going for at least 30K plus. Also the requirement for C1 for most 6 berth motorhomes would be good. The itenio was a possibility due to 3.5 tonne even though has 6 berth and six belts.

Somebody I knew sold his Itineo a few years ago, he had a leak in the rear which resulted in a spongy damp floor that would need replacing, but that was a job for the new owner. Itineo is, as you say, the budget end and that means they are not as well built or specced as the higher end models, but should be perfectly fine if looked after by previous owners. 19k is very low mileage too, our van covered 20k miles in its first 2 years!
Its difficult to give advice on a vehicle that we haven’t seen, but I would look very carefully at the leak and what damage it has caused, as well as the source of the leak, and the rot at the front could be very expensive to fix, once you have started investigating further.
Maybe put this one on the back burner and look for something else that is in better condition Unless you can fix these issues yourself.

Old and uncommon = few and difficult to obtain spares IMO I'd give it a miss Someone posted here a few days ago theirs has been O/T/R for over 12 mths waiting for a new hab door

Old and uncommon = few and difficult to obtain spares IMO I'd give it a miss Someone posted here a few days ago theirs has been O/T/R for over 12 mths waiting for a new hab door
Thanks for reply. Issue is finding a van that is under the 3.5 as most older ones are always over. The newer ones are easy 50k. Don’t want to lash out another 600 pounds like B and E then find government changes there mind.

I would think a useable 6 berth motorhome with 3.5 tonne max weight is a very rare thing or would have a very low payload if any at all.
You probably wouldn’t fit 6 people in with their clothes and any food without being well overweight.
The intineo looked ok not brilliant but doable. Unless you filled tanks for the max. Would be 5 people so two adults three children. Wanted experience of driving large van before putting in for test. Already wasted 600 on b and e don’t want to do it again only for government to change mind and give it away for free.

The intineo looked ok not brilliant but doable. Unless you filled tanks for the max. Would be 5 people so two adults three children. Wanted experience of driving large van before putting in for test. Already wasted 600 on b and e don’t want to do it again only for government to change mind and give it away for free.
I would tend to agree with Snapster that you are likely to have issues with available payload. Manufacturers have been known to be optimistic re the stated payload. What are the current weights of the two adults and three children and do you expect the children to get heavier over the next couple of years (or longer)? Do you intend to take bikes with you? What extras have already been fitted? Awning? TV + aerial/satellite dish? Solar panels? You might save a bit of weight by minimising fuel and fresh water, but the latter in particular would very much depend on how you intend to use the vehicle - as a caravan with an engine using campsites or as a motorhome with the ability to use a wide range of locations? One thing worse than the government suddenly liberalising the rules re driving licences and vehicle weights would be the government not doing so allied to the discovery after purchase that the available payload is inadequate.

Last edited:
I would think a useable 6 berth motorhome with 3.5 tonne max weight is a very rare thing or would have a very low payload if any at all.
You probably wouldn’t fit 6 people in with their clothes and any food without being well overweight.
may seem strange but there are quite a few 6 berth motorhomes that do not need to carry the weight of 6 people when driving.
The majority of Autotrails are 4 and 6 berth but also only have 2 travel seats (my own is a 4 berth but only has 2 travel seats). I guess the idea is that the extra people travel in a following car that can also be used to sight-see, or you meet up with the other people at the overnight stop?

The van the OP was looking at had 6 belted travel seats, I was doubting any van with this combination would manage to be legal, fully loaded on a 3500kg chassis.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back