Motorhome road tax classification

Not sure why people are saying there is no taxation class for motorcaravan - there is. I hasten to add I'm not sure if it is used/applied, but its in B&W on the gov website.

Light vans: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/other-vehicle-tax-rates
Motorhomes: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-motorhomes

Note - changing "body type" from van to motorhome does not affect tax rates. I know I know, don't blame me, its just fact.

Example van: MY20 Fiat Ducato 3.5t MGW.

MY20 Fiat Ducato panel van: £320
MY20 Fiat Ducato motorcaravan IF CONVERTED AFTER BEING NEW: £320
MY20 Fiat Ducato motorcaravan IF MC FROM BIRTH: £325

(I have MY 20 self build FD with MC on V5, and I just got my tax renewal for £320. Not £325 )

I did mine and saved over £100 per year on RFL . But bear in mind there are driving restrictions once you go over 3500kg, different speed limits, and “angles morts” in France. Quite a few 3.5t limited roads as well.
I had a debate with someone, I was confident (lol), but came away unconvinced. The speed limit thing isn't entirely black n white, and I've read the law back to the 1979 acts.
If the Motorcaravan UNLAIDEN is <3050kg then car limits apply. Nowhere is there an upper MGW limit. So you could have a 4t MGW limit, thats 2900kg unlaiden and you could drive it at car speeds.
Of course, 3200kg unladen does not benefit from the car speed limits (being above 3050kg)

(The van speed limits do not apply to motor caravans)

Its clearly an anomaly in the law - and how many vehicles fit into the niche?

Its a tough one, and the debate only proved the law was a mess lol. Opinions are worthless when reading the RTAs - and this one slipped through the net.

Would love someone to find a legislative update that covers this...

The gov speed limit page is the "easy read" version which is not complete, but you can see https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits - and it does say "Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) " do same limits as car, and no upper limit. MC is not a goods vehicle. etc.

I had a debate with someone, I was confident (lol), but came away unconvinced. The speed limit thing isn't entirely black n white, and I've read the law back to the 1979 acts.
If the Motorcaravan UNLAIDEN is <3050kg then car limits apply. Nowhere is there an upper MGW limit. So you could have a 4t MGW limit, thats 2900kg unlaiden and you could drive it at car speeds.
Of course, 3200kg unladen does not benefit from the car speed limits (being above 3050kg)

(The van speed limits do not apply to motor caravans)

Its clearly an anomaly in the law - and how many vehicles fit into the niche?

Its a tough one, and the debate only proved the law was a mess lol. Opinions are worthless when reading the RTAs - and this one slipped through the net.

Would love someone to find a legislative update that covers this...

The gov speed limit page is the "easy read" version which is not complete, but you can see https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits - and it does say "Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) " do same limits as car, and no upper limit. MC is not a goods vehicle. etc.
And you have actually simplified how it works :D
The maximum speed limit a Motor Caravan can have depends on the use at the time. i.e. if it IS being used as a commercial (goods) vehicle.
So for example, if you have a Motor Caravan and you use it to go to Car Boot Sales to sell stuff, that is being used for reward and thus you are limited to commercial van speed limits. If you go to Car Boot Sales as a customer, then it is still a private recreational vehicle and subject to whatever limits apply when it is used as a Motor Caravan.
Very unlikely to be 'caught' in that scenario, but quite a few people use their Motorhomes as a kind of mobile workshop, travelling to customers, and have what maybe called a 'Living Van'.
This is quite a common discussion for people who have Horseboxes and where Yummy Mummy drives little Jocasta to the Gymkhana to compete and hopefully win. That is a journey for potential reward if prizes are awarded.
(best thing to do is just chill out and drive a bit slower and there are no problems ;) )

(and as an aside, this is one reason why when I converted my VW T5 Transporter, I chose to not have it reclassified as a "Motor Caravan" but leave it as a MPV (e.g. Car) as MPVs have the same speed limit irrespective of private or commercial use).

the "Under 3.05t ULW" is really daft as there is nowhere recorded the ULW of a vehicle, so only assumptions can be made about what the ULW of a given vehicle (the MIRO quoted for a factory motorhome is not the same as ULW, although fairly close). And assumptions cannot be used as fact of course.
When I converted my 4600Kg Minibus to be a Motor Caravan, I specifically drove to a Weighbridge the day after I got my revised V5C back and got a weight recorded (of under 3.05t) , so if the question ever came up about why I was driving my 4.6t Motor Caravan at 'car speeds' and it must be over 3.05t ULW, I could provide proof it was not, and there was no evidence to contradict that.
Of course that is not really possible to do for any factory motorhome, but anyone doing their own conversion would be able to at the right time.

And you have actually simplified how it works :D
The maximum speed limit a Motor Caravan can have depends on the use at the time. i.e. if it IS being used as a commercial (goods) vehicle.
So for example, if you have a Motor Caravan and you use it to go to Car Boot Sales to sell stuff, that is being used for reward and thus you are limited to commercial van speed limits. If you go to Car Boot Sales as a customer, then it is still a private recreational vehicle and subject to whatever limits apply when it is used as a Motor Caravan.
Very unlikely to be 'caught' in that scenario, but quite a few people use their Motorhomes as a kind of mobile workshop, travelling to customers, and have what maybe called a 'Living Van'.
This is quite a common discussion for people who have Horseboxes and where Yummy Mummy drives little Jocasta to the Gymkhana to compete and hopefully win. That is a journey for potential reward if prizes are awarded.
(best thing to do is just chill out and drive a bit slower and there are no problems ;) )

(and as an aside, this is one reason why when I converted my VW T5 Transporter, I chose to not have it reclassified as a "Motor Caravan" but leave it as a MPV (e.g. Car) as MPVs have the same speed limit irrespective of private or commercial use).

the "Under 3.05t ULW" is really daft as there is nowhere recorded the ULW of a vehicle, so only assumptions can be made about what the ULW of a given vehicle (the MIRO quoted for a factory motorhome is not the same as ULW, although fairly close). And assumptions cannot be used as fact of course.
When I converted my 4600Kg Minibus to be a Motor Caravan, I specifically drove to a Weighbridge the day after I got my revised V5C back and got a weight recorded (of under 3.05t) , so if the question ever came up about why I was driving my 4.6t Motor Caravan at 'car speeds' and it must be over 3.05t ULW, I could provide proof it was not, and there was no evidence to contradict that.
Of course that is not really possible to do for any factory motorhome, but anyone doing their own conversion would be able to at the right time.
lol
Yes, you have muddied the water further. I was trying to simply clarify a previous post but its a dark web! Don't forget the scenario if you have a motorcycle in the back - it could be a "race van" and subject to class 7 MOT, speed limits, and different insurance..... I've read of a MC being pulled and done for no insurance and MOT for this reason (though the details were never mentioned, so no idea on the conversion or if there was other issues).
Interesting comment about why you didn't apply - not a scenario I thought of!
All fun :)

lol
Yes, you have muddied the water further. I was trying to simply clarify a previous post but its a dark web! Don't forget the scenario if you have a motorcycle in the back - it could be a "race van" and subject to class 7 MOT, speed limits, and different insurance..... I've read of a MC being pulled and done for no insurance and MOT for this reason (though the details were never mentioned, so no idea on the conversion or if there was other issues).

Interesting comment about why you didn't apply - not a scenario I thought of!
All fun :)
Yup, as I used to travel around sometimes doing work on Campers and would often stay overnight somewhere before or after and obviously carrying 'goods' and the tools of the trade.

And just to add more muddiness ... If you are over 3.5t and use the vehicle for work, it gets REALLY complicated! you should have an Operators Licence, you should have a Transport Manager (even if you have just ONE van) with maintenance schedules and all kind of nonsense as well as a Tacho (no tacho if limiting travel within a certain distance radius).
The rules are both so complex and so ambiguous it must be a nightmare to enforce for those who really want to try and to try to adhere to for those who try to.

(insurance of course is a separate matter and should always get Class 1 Business insurance if using your Motor Caravan for any work. Comfort is good for that as they include it as standard but many Brokers don't even make it possible), but even as an extra option when available, it is usually a very small uplift I found for either Camper or Car.)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back