Motorhome vehicle lengths on ferries

Last time I got a BF ferry from Poole they seemed more concerned with my height,which I had decreased by 100mm to avoid going into a higher band. They had one of those hanging chain height thingies and the woman at the port was convinced I was over my stated height,she asked me to drive under it,which I did with much trepidation but must've cleared it by mm,she allowed me to continue but never checked my length....she was quite pretty and I would've happily shown her my length?

The only time i`ve ever been measured is on the Pentland ferry out of Gills Bay and it`s happened twice there despite them already having the reg :mad:

It is actually 7.42m bumper to towbar so i always book 7.5m however, it looks considerably longer due to being a low profile :eek:

The price brackets are up to 5m, 5m - 6m, 6m - 8m and over 8m at which point the price jumps considerably from £75 to £108 o_O

http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/tariff/

The guy measured it both ways with look of disbelief on his face :(

He declined to answer when i asked him if it had grown from the 7.5m that i had declared :)

Here on the Isle of Wight the company's providing our service both measure but have different lengths and heights that the price changes from, they also charge differently at different times of the day.
My advice would be always check on line you can often get a deal by traveling silly o clock in the morning and having a motorhome can grab a come of hours kip in their car park on them

Last time I got a BF ferry from Poole they seemed more concerned with my height,which I had decreased by 100mm to avoid going into a higher band. They had one of those hanging chain height thingies and the woman at the port was convinced I was over my stated height,she asked me to drive under it,which I did with much trepidation but must've cleared it by mm,she allowed me to continue but never checked my length....she was quite pretty and I would've happily shown her my length?
You need to be careful with height, in case they put you onto one of the car decks with height very close to 3 metres at some points. You don't want to be loaded at the stern and then find that you can't drive through to disembark at Cherbourg; they're not going to turn her round in the berth just for you! I'm just under 3 metres, and on the one occasion that they loaded me on that deck, one of the crew climbed up a column to check clearance as I drove very gingerly forward! Worth noting that on one occasion Wintonian suffered damage due to being loaded onto a deck with insufficient clearance.

You need to be careful with height, in case they put you onto one of the car decks with height very close to 3 metres at some points. You don't want to be loaded at the stern and then find that you can't drive through to disembark at Cherbourg; they're not going to turn her round in the berth just for you! I'm just under 3 metres, and on the one occasion that they loaded me on that deck, one of the crew climbed up a column to check clearance as I drove very gingerly forward! Worth noting that on one occasion Wintonian suffered damage due to being loaded onto a deck with insufficient clearance.
I've had to let a few tyres down on artics that were over height to get off the ferry at the discharge port. So, always handy to carry a wee compressor to re inflate. But the very last resort or reverse back off to the "patch"!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back