Motorhome vehicle lengths on ferries

nimmo777

Do the ferries charge according to the length of the vehicles. Is 6 metres a crucial length?

Camping and Caravaning Club as well as Caravan and Motorhome club have bulk discount deals, often offering the same rate as a car and possibly a flexible ticket at no extra cost.
You will save the years membership fee if you use their discounts on most routes.
If you see a special offer, e.g. Stena ferries sometimes offer 30% off then I have found the club's will not only match this but also beat it by a few pounds.

Yes they charge by length and be truthful, No excuses!
Was wondering whether to put a spare wheel on the back. Just under 6 m but a wheel would take us over. So now we decide travel with spare wheel or a filler!

Could you carry the wheel inside while on the ferry or would carrier still put you over. I've a friend who always removes bikes and rack to interior of van for ferry crossing

Irish Ferries don’t ask for length, they charge by height, so 2.25 metres is the critical measurement which differentiates between small campers and Motorhomes. Any van over 8 metres and up to 12 metres forms a third category.!

Davy

Just under measures! They hardly ever check,
if you can go on a quite crossing then all the loaders want is you on the boat, they don’t care what size you are!
Even if they catch you out you’ve only got to pay what you should have paid anyway!

They're not going to worry about the width of a wheel.

Just looked on Aferry, same price for 6m and 6.5 m.
Same price too for ticking the "someting on the back" box

Tunnel doesn’t charge per metre ... just select the campervan option.
You beat me to it. It costs the same on the Tunnel for my 7m motorhome as it does for a T5 PVC. That said, at least one of the ferry companies (DFDS) puts motorhomes into two categories "<4m x 7m" and "<4m x 10m" with fares of less than £50 each way Dover to Dunkirk for the 7m category. So perhaps shopping round to find the a ferry company that lumps your 6 to 7 metre van in a cheapish category might be advantageous?

The ferries don't check lengths.
Some tunnels and bridges on continent measure vehicle electronically so no point trying to kid them

I went to Isle of Bute a couple of weeks ago, the 2 guys took out a tape measure and I called out them I was 6.75m and so over the 6m charge length, one chap called back to me that he made us 6.8m as if I was cheating him (to$$er)

Going onto the ferry from Mull via Tobermory last year I said to the chap I was 6.75 and he said I’m charging you for 6m “it’s near enough!”

I went to Isle of Bute a couple of weeks ago, the 2 guys took out a tape measure and I called out them I was 6.75m and so over the 6m charge length, one chap called back to me that he made us 6.8m as if I was cheating him (to$$er)

Going onto the ferry from Mull via Tobermory last year I said to the chap I was 6.75 and he said I’m charging you for 6m “it’s near enough!”
I now live on Bute and while i was travelling up & down with my stuff I also got measured - not sure if he believed me when i told him it was 5.5m - but no problem after that !
I also find i am often put to the front of the queue for loading - that really does piss off some car drivers who have been waiting !!

They often measure anything bigger than a car on Orkney Ferries (the inter isles ferries in Orkney).

As we live on one of the northern isles we use them often and I smile at one of the pursors (who must be a proper jobsworth) when I seem him measuring the hauliers lorry. This lorry travels back on forth on the ferry every day, sometimes twice a day - does he think it may have changed size?

They often measure anything bigger than a car on Orkney Ferries (the inter isles ferries in Orkney).

As we live on one of the northern isles we use them often and I smile at one of the pursors (who must be a proper jobsworth) when I seem him measuring the hauliers lorry. This lorry travels back on forth on the ferry every day, sometimes twice a day - does he think it may have changed size?

It might have grown a bit especially if it`s cargo was edible :ROFLMAO:

Every time we`ve used Pentland Ferries out of Gills Bay we always get measured

Our lowline motorhome looks a lot longer than the 7.5m i state, the guy is convinced we should be in the " over 8m " category o_O

I`ve even known him check it both ways and look at the measuring wheel with disgust :mad:

I'm pretty sure all of the CalMac ferries in Scotland, the cut off length is now 6m - it used to be 5m - at which you pay same as a car, after that the next price jump is to 8m then another increase for up to 10m. They do sometimes measure to confirm the length.

I have found in general the next price band up for any given length is not a significant jump. So I’d take what you wanted to.

My experience of Calmac is the same, the guys at Weymms for Bute measured even though I said I was 5.6M . I have not been checked on any other route.

K ;)

Just to be clear, I was 5.6M and I agree, tell the truth.

K ;)

Mine is 5cm over 6m, I’ll just have to hope it’s shrunk in the rain it lives in. ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back