Motorhoming tours of France book

GMJ

I'm sure many of you subscribe to the motorhomingfrance monthly newsletters. In this months there is a link to this book which looks like good value...

I contacted the author to check whether it includes MH parking info at each of the places of interest in the tours but alas it doesn't. I guess some internet research would be required for that, which is no hardship really these days.

I have ordered a copy anyway as it looks like an interesting compendium to have on board. I'll report back when I have it with an update on the book.

Alan Russell has obviously not done any of the tours by motorhome himself. That could lead to a few tight moments.

That was my concern too tbh.

I thought I'd get a copy as it will still have loads of ideas I thought. I can then research the parking if/when we decide to visit any of the places.

I contacted the author to check whether it includes MH parking info at each of the places of interest in the tours but alas it doesn't.

But says in advert

• Detailed descriptions & Reviews of stopovers
    [*]Services available & No. of pitches
    [*]GPS Coordinates & Directions

Yes he details overnight stopovers (mainly aires I think) as per your extract above.

But I specifically asked about parking at the places of interest - such as Cathedrals, churches, wargraves etc etc - as, in the main, you have to drive to these from your overnight stay. It was information on the parking at these places of interest I was after...but he does not specify that in the book.

As said It does lead one to think that perhaps he hasn't visited all the places/done all the tours himself otherwise why wouldn't you include that (valuable) info?

Still at 12 quid I thought it was worth a punt.

My copy arrived last week and on first showing it looks like its worth the 12 quid I reckon.

There is an introductory chapter regarding different types of aires, costs and services which would be useful for the uninitiated.

Then there are full details about places to stay (mostly aires) at the start and end of each day of each of the tours including GPS co-ordinates and also alternatives if full. The tours appear to last 3-4 days long (I haven't read the whole book yet so there may be longer ones too!). A number of the tours are near to each other so you could easily take in more than one if you wanted to stretch things out to a week or two or more.

The directions to the places of interest are very simple ("Follow the D1234 north..." type of thing) but that is no bad thing. Each point of interest gets a write up of what makes it a POI. Plenty of pictures (B&W) throughout the book including of the aires.

It does lack details on parking when at each village/POI so that would need some research or a 'sod it, we'll go anyway' approach.

For us it will serve 2 purposes: ultimately we may well use it to follow some of the tours but I think mainly we'll use it when bimbling through France to take in a few sights etc rather than stick to a fixed tour (a sort of mix and match approach).

A good addition to the MH library I think.

It. does lack details on parking when at each village/POI so that would need some research or a 'sod it, we'll go anyway' approach

You might find this site helpful then. It is in French but easy enough to follow, and gives a 360° view of all the aires.

Reactions: GMJ
As I said, the overnight aires are well covered in the book but I guess this could be of help for parking options at the places of interest provided they have an aire at each one...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back