Mr Laird.

If you want to secure winter leccy against powercuts or storm damage.
Then a diesel genny is surely the best (almost) failsafe solution ?
As I have posted before (Thailand) My retirement plans featured a country cottage with leccy backup and Lpg gas tank.
And a multifuel stove...but that is history.
If leccy goes down here.
1 battery powered lights fed by solar.
2 gas ring.
3 charcoal b b q.
No power for the water pump is a pain ! But manageable

If you want to secure winter leccy against powercuts or storm damage.
Then a diesel genny is surely the best (almost) failsafe solution ?
As I have posted before (Thailand) My retirement plans featured a country cottage with leccy backup and Lpg gas tank.
And a multifuel stove...but that is history.
If leccy goes down here.
1 battery powered lights fed by solar.
2 gas ring.
3 charcoal b b q.
No power for the water pump is a pain ! But manageable
I have a petrol genny here, Phil. Hardly any hours on it, I planned to sell, but keeping as an additional backup. We have mains gas and full central heating, leccy will be our Achilles heel, to a degree, gas boiler is getting serviced Monday, I will ask my mate how I go about getting power to boiler either via Jackery or genny, I do have a good idea how to do this, a couple of points I want to cover before making changes. Of course and as you know, we have the motorhome, and I have plenty lpg at the moment, oh and bbq too.

Been burning some lpg this morning to warm the water in the water heater as the preliminary to descaling the Truma and the shower/taps. Using the Puriclean DScale and checked with their Technical Staff that hot water makes the descaling more effective, but no need to keep the heat on once the boiler is warm. Need to leave the system for at least another hour before flushing with cold water (2 more hours would be better. but daylight will be gone by then!)

Steve

My first hoose was cooncil Marie. With hindsight would be better remaining that way. State can’t take your cooncil hoose of you to pay for your care home if one is required.
If your in a Council House around here You'd Not get in a Care Home 3 People I know have been sent Home to their Council House with No carer Course if You own Your own Home You get the Carehome

Adding batteries of course adds weight to MH.

so would the power pack...

Using 2000 watt MH inverter to boil travel kettle takes an age and hammers the leisure battery. Using the Jackery just under 5 mins to boil

same kettle will be same time, no matter the source. If you are saying you can use more power kettle on jackery that inverter, change your inverter.
and uses 7% from the power bank.

would use exactly the same charge from a fixed battery bank in your MH.
From MH to house with a cable, too much distance to cover, plus a trip hazard

Do you do that often?

I will ask my mate how I go about getting power to boiler either via Jackery or genny, I

If your boiler is fed via a switched fuse spur, it would be perfectly fine to change this to a socket, and a plug on the boiler feed. Then it's just an extension lead from the genny that you plug the boiler in to 👍

I’m in a hotel for the weekend £7 a pint so I’ve been going round turning all the heating valves up full blast at the rads. May as well get my moneys worth. Everyone is walking round wae the sweat pissing from them .I’ve just been outside for a fag and every room has a window or patio doors open. 😜😂😂

so would the power pack...
I can carry Jackery using one hand, need two with a lead acid battery.
same kettle will be same time, no matter the source. If you are saying you can use more power kettle on jackery that inverter, change your inverter.
Takes longer on inverter, especially when other drains are switched on, lights, tv, heating etc, as leisure battery is already being drained. I rarely use inverter, more so now as I have other options.
would use exactly the same charge from a fixed battery bank in your MH.
Would lithium = same as lead acid?
Do you do that often?
Do I do what often?

I’m in a hotel for the weekend £7 a pint so I’ve been going round turning all the heating valves up full blast at the rads. May as well get my moneys worth. Everyone is walking round wae the sweat pissing from them .I’ve just been outside for a fag and every room has a window or patio doors open. 😜😂😂
Wully, I'm going to grass you up to Greeting Thongbird, you are killing our planet!! o_O

Adding batteries of course adds weight to MH. Using 2000 watt MH inverter to boil travel kettle takes an age and hammers the leisure battery. Using the Jackery just under 5 mins to boil and uses 7% from the power bank. From MH to house with a cable, too much distance to cover, plus a trip hazard.
An extra lith battery in the m home will be the same weight as the jackass in the van at a fraction of the price.

I have a petrol genny here, Phil. Hardly any hours on it, I planned to sell, but keeping as an additional backup. We have mains gas and full central heating, leccy will be our Achilles heel, to a degree, gas boiler is getting serviced Monday, I will ask my mate how I go about getting power to boiler either via Jackery or genny, I do have a good idea how to do this, a couple of points I want to cover before making changes. Of course and as you know, we have the motorhome, and I have plenty lpg at the moment, oh and bbq too.
You put a change-over switch between the meter and the fuse box, add a small mains buzzer to let you know when the power comes on again to switch back.

The new Anker 767 is out shortly for those that must have one of these systems. £400 off if you register interest.Looks a beast.

I can carry Jackery using one hand, need two with a lead acid battery.

The jackery has a battery, inverter and charger in one box. Comparing the same capacity etc. it will be heavier than a battery.

Takes longer on inverter, especially when other drains are switched on, lights, tv, heating etc, as leisure battery is already being drained. I rarely use inverter, more so now as I have other options.

It can't do. If you are overloading your inverter then it will switch off. 1000W is 1000W, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

These power banks aren't magic. If you have a need for portable power, they are a good (albeit expensive) solution. If you already have all of the other parts in your MH then it just doesn't make sense.

Using it to power your home? You'll find it's dead/overloaded VERY quickly.

The jackery has a battery, inverter and charger in one box. Comparing the same capacity etc. it will be heavier than a battery.

It can't do. If you are overloading your inverter then it will switch off. 1000W is 1000W, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

These power banks aren't magic. If you have a need for portable power, they are a good (albeit expensive) solution. If you already have all of the other parts in your MH then it just doesn't make sense.

Using it to power your home? You'll find it's dead/overloaded VERY quickly.
Steve, I am telling you how it was/is when I was faffing boiling travel kettle filled to give two cup, inverter is hard wired to three house style plug sockets and kettle plug to socket, not direct to inverter. Jackery @ 100% same level of water, Jackery boiled kettle quicker than inverter and 93% left in the bank.

Of course they are not magic. Wild camping in Scotland it can be difficult to source LPG, having the bank is a backup if/when lpg is getting low and if in an area where lpg is sparse ( I have 10kg = 20 litre SafeFill tank). Expensive, practically anything to do with motorhome ownership can come with a premium price tag, I got a decent deal with my purchase.

I am under no illusions 1000 bank will power my home, these power banks would be flying off the shelve if the case, if there are outages looming, a full fridge/freezer will take priority.

I forgot to add, my 130 amp AGM battery weights 30kgs, Jackery Explorer 1000 weights in at 10kgs.

Terry i boiled the1200watt kettle in the the house and it took 4 mins 58 sec to boil i then done the same in the van with the inverter both same time ?

Terry i boiled the1200watt kettle in the the house and it took 4 mins 58 sec to boil i then done the same in the van with the inverter both same time ?
Jeffrey, travel kettle marked up at 250-1000W, first boil using Jackery, approx five mins. Second boil using inverter, longer time taken, TBH, if I have to use inverter for example charge laptop of bike battery, this is done while we are on the move, We have owned the Arto for 7 year now, inverter was already installed, so possibly not efficient as it should be? Anyhooooooooooo, fact remains, quicker using power bank, not like you to do domestic work like boiling a kettle :giggle:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back