My engine has the hiccups.

HTF

Only recently found out that my 2015 Citroen Jumper/Relay 2,2 150 HP has a Ford engine. This holiday while travelling up north of Portugal, a more demanding hill roads region, my van started to "oscillate" when the engine is a bit more loaded. To stop, I have to either change gear or decelerate a little to get out of that RPM region. Now it happens even on the motorway. I use cruise control and when it needs a little more power it starts to vibrate. As soon as I press the clutch, it stops. I've scanned the OBD port for any errors but there are none. I wonder if anybody has experienced something similar.

What’s your current mileage, it sounds like a possible clutch problem but a reliable garage/mechanic should be able to confirm or rule it out.

We bought our 2019 @ 9000 miles and it’s done it for the past year, full service when we get back I’m hoping that will help,it’s like an old carburettor problem it’s as thou it struggles to clear something from the jet and then gets up and goes like 💩 off a shovel , no rev range identified as sometimes it’s clear and no problem

90000 Km and the clutch is ok. I suspect a injector failing. I have to wait for the end of the holiday season to go to the mechanic. It usually happens at around 90 Km/h in 6th gear when it has to deliver a little more power to overcome a slight inclination.

90000 Km and the clutch is ok. I suspect a injector failing. I have to wait for the end of the holiday season to go to the mechanic. It usually happens at around 90 Km/h in 6th gear when it has to deliver a little more power to overcome a slight inclination.
That could be your problem. Forget the speedo reading (except to stay within speed limits), learn to drive to the rev counter. Keep the revs between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. Strictly no less than 2K in a high gear. I would also give your engine an 'Italian tune up' for a few miles (ie run the engine at well over 2K revs in a lower gear to clean up your engine, preferably with a dose of engine cleaner added).

90 Km/hour in 6th gear is way too low.

It's always a good idea to change down on hills it save wear and tear on the engine and transmission, very few will just keep going in top gear, and even the top HP ones would change down if an automatic.

For what you say in post one

"I have to either change gear or decelerate a little to get out of that RPM region" it's tellin you you're in the wrong gear, mine will go up most hills it top as it only 5 speed, a 6th gear is basically an overdrive.

90 Km/hour in 6th gear is way too low.
The automatic gear change indicator will ask for 6th gear well below 90 Km/h on a flat surface and you don't feel the engine "suffering". When a little more power is needed, even in 5th it will "hiccup" every now and then. The fist time I felt this it looked like it was pavement irregularity.

The automatic gear change indicator will ask for 6th gear well below 90 Km/h on a flat surface and you don't feel the engine "suffering". When a little more power is needed, even in 5th it will "hiccup" every now and then. The fist time I felt this it looked like it was pavement irregularity.
I suppose you mean the number that pops up on the dash. It is not an instruction and should be ignored. I have had them on a number of vehicles and I honestly don't know why they put them there.
Can you remember when you were riding your bike as a kid and you had to stand on the pedals and work hard when you met a hill? Well, your engine and gearbox are having to work hard because your revs are too low and your gear is too high. People think a low revving engine will save fuel and increase economy. It is the opposite in fact and you face possible expensive repairs by driving that way.

Anywaay, I have given my two pennorth, I hope you get it sorted OK. (y)

Our Fiesta always did it but it didn't have enough umph to change up, an experienced driver listens to the engine note, no need for a rev counter really other than to see if things are changing (sorry) over time.

It sounds like egr valve clogging up or the dpf, this is usually caused by too many miles of steady driving, trying to get the mpg up.
Modern diesels need to be worked hard occasionally, as already mentioned give it an Italian tune up, but if you don’t want to go too fast take it on a good motorway run in a lower gear, keeping the revs over 3000

Nothing to do with gears. It's a definite problem of lack of power. This holiday I had a few opportunities to do the Italian tune up you talk about during my trip. My journey up north included some serious mountain roads which made the motor show what it's worth and the 150 HP weren't all present. I have more than am million miles driven over my 40 years o drivers license and know enough about gear changes. One of the voyages, I decided to take the payed motorway to avoid a very difficult mountain road and instead of curves, we were presented with some very long 8% grade uphills where the second and third gear had to be engaged with some serious RPMs, so much so that I got the "Check engine" light. I thought that it might mean the end of the holiday trip with the van returning home on a tow truck but there wasn't a real drop off the already poor performance of the engine and no overheating. Luckily that difficult stretch of highway soon came to and end and I reached my destination. The engine light remained on even after a pause for shopping but the van wasn't limping so I moved on. Final destination was a small village and it was the weekend so, no mechanic shop to check the fault. I remembered that I had in my glove compartment a simple Bluetooth OBD interface that I put there sometime ago "just incase" and I checked if could do anything about the error. Turns out it was a over temperature on the primary exhaust probe and I was able to clear it. This was the result of the Italian tune up a few kilometres before. After that the journey continued for another 800 km without any other issue other than the hiccups every now and then.

I ragged the arse out of ours , did murcia to cardiff double quick time , racing back for a family bereavement kept it aroung 135/140 kmh all on toll roads and it did it all the time , dont think its injector , only done 11,000 at the time or clutch ive swapped from supermarket fuel to good fuel and back again and its still doing it , our last trip was calais to bavaria in one go, not much inside lane driving

Ford diesels are well known for problems, iv known two engines blown from start up and just went to full rpm before the pistons/rods let go.

I was surprised to know that Citroen had a Ford engine. PSA always made good diesels and it's strange that they decided on a Ford. Maybe the Fiat Ducato engine would have been a better choice but you can't cry over spilled milk.

I was surprised to know that Citroen had a Ford engine. PSA always made good diesels and it's strange that they decided on a Ford. Maybe the Fiat Ducato engine would have been a better choice but you can't cry over spilled milk.
Yep sofim engine miles better, ford have not built a good diesel since the banana engine which was almost bullet prof.

Just got rid of a 2017 pug that had a similar problem had it to a couple of mechanic's with no joy my neighbour works servicing ambulances said he seen this before and fixed it in ten minutes and it turned out to be sticky actuator on the back of the turbo that gets gummed up. It ran fine after that.

Now you mention it, my self build had that but not to the same extent, it was a common problem at the garage I used back then.

I think you need a full diagnostic check on a proper system .might be sound ike a daft question but dose your outdoor temp reading work ok ,

Back