My first car way back in 1965, what was yours?

Thanks, I’ve already got my eyes on these, but it’s always useful to hear about something that someone actually knows about.

used them to help sell before, I sold the T100C using them, within a fortnight.
few people have listed their cars on hear, My wife says there's not enough pages here to list mine lol !
Blimey that is one hell of a lot of cars which leads me to suggest that either you are darned old or possibly some kind of motor trade

I loved my 2cv and as for my Xantia 2.0 Hdi estate, that had to be one of the best cars I have ever owned

I think that the Xantia is very underrated. Very smooth ride on hydraulic suspension, well equipped on the top models with electric leather heated seats, climate control, cruise control, adaptive gearbox and 150mph. They sell very cheaply.
There’s even a model with active suspension, which has proved to be the fastest cornering car in the world.

7B133A2D-1836-40DB-891A-D5B08ABCEC18.jpeg

Blimey that is one hell of a lot of cars which leads me to suggest that either you are darned old or possibly some kind of motor trade
I used to be in the motor trade - but my bikes were never anything to do with that, they’re just “must-haves”. And obviously I’m old which is why there have been so many of them over the years, age is just a number, so long as I can still get my leg over I’m not too old :)

so long as I can still get my leg over I’m not too old :)
I gave up getting my leg over anything other than Reynolds 531 years ago and I even had to give that up two years ago, but hopefully after my recent visit to Papworth, I have been assured that it won't be too long before I am once again seated on my beloved Brooks saddle!!

After the restoration of my 400/4 took many years, it’s now ready but unfortunately I no longer am. The decision is wether to sell or hope that one day I may be fit enough to enjoy it again.

First car, which was before I had a license, was a 1725cc Ford Consul, three speed box, column changes gear shift, bench seats front and rear. My dad bought this for me, don't recall the actual year of car, but similar in shape and colour as the attached image.

View attachment 52366
Mine was the similar look Zepher 6 it was great although very thirsty. I loved the bench seats and the floor dip switch but must admit the vacuum wiper blades could be a tad annoying

Reactions: 2cv
My 1st was a '38 Morris 8 with wire wheels. A neighbour gave it to me because the clutch had gone and it would have cost more than the car was worth to fix it. Well at nearly 16 it was a challenge, but I dunnit !!! Then a pals dad said that he had a twin carb Aquaplane head for side valve engine, so he came round and fitted it (2 x 1"1/2 SU's too). So for a nearly 17 year old it was a rocket, sadly pre stretched cable brakes are more ornamental than functional and showing off it got kinda bent, but the scrappy gave me 30/- for it. For my birthday I got driving lessons and bought an ancient aluminium rag top Reliant, followed by a Jowett Bradford and then an Isetta, Hillman Minx, MG 1100 and a whole procession of Beetles. Cars were cheap before the MoT came into force
Gosh Oppy, how old are you? I am ancient but do not remember some of these cars, Ha Old guys rule!

My 1st was a '38 Morris 8 with wire wheels. A neighbour gave it to me because the clutch had gone and it would have cost more than the car was worth to fix it. Well at nearly 16 it was a challenge, but I dunnit !!! Then a pals dad said that he had a twin carb Aquaplane head for side valve engine, so he came round and fitted it (2 x 1"1/2 SU's too). So for a nearly 17 year old it was a rocket, sadly pre stretched cable brakes are more ornamental than functional and showing off it got kinda bent, but the scrappy gave me 30/- for it. For my birthday I got driving lessons and bought an ancient aluminium rag top Reliant, followed by a Jowett Bradford and then an Isetta, Hillman Minx, MG 1100 and a whole procession of Beetles. Cars were cheap before the MoT came into force

My first car was a Morris 14 hp quite large the back seat area was large enough to hold a dance in. When I was hard up, I would hire it out to friends as it was great for a SNOG ON THE BACK SEAT. You also got access to the boot from the rear of the back seat so by raising this if you're being very lucky you could raise this and lay flat almost a double bed. the year 1958. They were good times. It finally had to go due to the fact it kept blowing head gaskets and in the end buckled the head. Off to the knackers yard £1.5 shillings. Next car MK1 Ford Consul Convertible white with black hood, column change white leather upholstery, was I a flash git? you bet I was. By the way the ladies liked it too. lol

My first car was a 1962 Austin 1100 which I bought when I was 15.At the age of 20 I moved up to a 1968 Riley kestrel with cooper s engine and close ratio gearbox.It looked like a grandads car but was a wolf in sheeps clothing and upset a lot of boy racers.34 years later I have still got it

My first ‘car’ was a Fordson E93W Estate car, with eight seats! It was quite amazing, with no water pump (symphonic cooling!), three steps up to get in, and brakes operated by adjustable rods underneath! The windscreen wiper was manual - if it’s raining, and you want to see, just reach up and twist the knob above the screen - same for the front passenger!!

That was followed by a series of Renault cars, ranging from Dauphines, to R8, R10s, R16 ( the original hatchback!), and R17. All maintained by frequent visits to the local scrap merchant!!

My first car in 1967 was a Ford Popular bought for £5.
The starter motor was knackered so I just had to use the crank handle to start it. A bugger when I stalled in traffic.

That was followed by....
A Ford Anglia (£15)
And then my favourite...a Triumph Herald. (Nearly new bought for £300)
A Bedford CF (ex Royal Navy) Dormobile.

Then a long list of company cars over the next 36 years......

Then came the shock of car ownership I had to pay for again.
A Landrover Freelander.
Citroen Piicasso

And lastly my Nuventure campervan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back