My new toy (an impact wrench!)

tonybvi

I decided to “recommission” an old Ifor Williams double axle trailer that has been laying in the corner of one of my fields where all the old unused agricultural equipment is left to rust. The trailer hadn‘t been moved in years, mainly because it only had 3 wheels as last time it was used one of the brakes had locked up and I had to remove the wheel to get it home. I hit my first hurdle after a few minutes - I just could not remove the axle nut to remove the brake hub. Pry bar - no movement, 6 foot scaffold tube extension to the pry bar - no movement! Copious amounts of penetrating oil and 2 heavy weights jumping on the scaffold tube - no movement (except to bend the bar). So, helped by a large amount of dubious man maths which wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny for a second, I convinced myself that it made sense to buy a DeWalt cordless impact wrench.
What fun I have had with it since! The wrench with a 46mm socket made very quick work of the axle nut and since then I have used it on every recalcitrant rusted nut I can find. My wife has taken to following me around (as she does when she sees me with a chainsaw) whenever I have the wrench in my hand to ensure that I don’t t start taking things to bits that don’t need to be taken to bits.
So if you want to bring a bit of pleasure into your life treat yourself to the best tool going - an impact wrench.

Tony, I was having a vision of you spinning around like a propeller while holding onto impact gun :giggle:

LPG and blow torch is another option.

Tony, I was having a vision of you spinning around like a propeller while holding onto impact gun :giggle:

LPG and blow torch is another option.
I did toy with the idea of using my paraffin flame gun weed killer (a Sheen X300) but felt it lacked the necessary finesse and would probably set fire to everything in the vicinity.
I must admit that when I first used the wrench ( mistakenly on the highest setting) I nearly did start spinning around and my wrist still hurts!

Oxy cetalene bottles is the cure and only cure for stuck nuts etc, wasting your time with release oils as i have found over the years trying to strip outboard engines that have been in salt water.

Oxy cetalene bottles is the cure and only cure for stuck nuts etc, wasting your time with release oils as i have found over the years trying to strip outboard engines that have been in salt water.
Release oils and snake oil, same thing. ☺🤣

what torque gun did you get @tonybvi ?

Release oils and snake oil, same thing. ☺🤣

what torque gun did you get @tonybvi ?
I went for the cheapest I could find that had half way decent reviews and a good reputation. Bear in mind that it is really only for occasional hobby and not professional use. The one I ended up with was a DeWalt DCF899P2-GB 18v high torque impact wrench.

I did toy with the idea of using my paraffin flame gun weed killer (a Sheen X300) but felt it lacked the necessary finesse and would probably set fire to everything in the vicinity.
I must admit that when I first used the wrench ( mistakenly on the highest setting) I nearly did start spinning around and my wrist still hurts!
Never heard of a paraffin heat gun Tony, I doubt sufficient focused heat would be achieved?

Ah, you bought the wrist snapper model 😳

We buy the Dewalt stuff all the time Tony it’s the best value especially when you have loads of batteries knocking around. The plastic they are made from seems to take a bit more abuse than some of the others I’ve dropped one from about 15ft and it was fine all this cordless stuff now much of a muchness it’s the batteries that make the differenc. We usually get a deal on Dewalt drill +impact gun + two 5amp batteries cheaper than buying the impact gun on its own.

Now you tell me Wully! Could have saved me a few bob. Really impressed with the DeWalt stuff.

I decided to “recommission” an old Ifor Williams double axle trailer that has been laying in the corner of one of my fields where all the old unused agricultural equipment is left to rust. The trailer hadn‘t been moved in years, mainly because it only had 3 wheels as last time it was used one of the brakes had locked up and I had to remove the wheel to get it home. I hit my first hurdle after a few minutes - I just could not remove the axle nut to remove the brake hub. Pry bar - no movement, 6 foot scaffold tube extension to the pry bar - no movement! Copious amounts of penetrating oil and 2 heavy weights jumping on the scaffold tube - no movement (except to bend the bar). So, helped by a large amount of dubious man maths which wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny for a second, I convinced myself that it made sense to buy a DeWalt cordless impact wrench.
What fun I have had with it since! The wrench with a 46mm socket made very quick work of the axle nut and since then I have used it on every recalcitrant rusted nut I can find. My wife has taken to following me around (as she does when she sees me with a chainsaw) whenever I have the wrench in my hand to ensure that I don’t t start taking things to bits that don’t need to be taken to bits.
So if you want to bring a bit of pleasure into your life treat yourself to the best tool going - an impact wrench.
I use cordless impact wrenches every day at work, saves me a lot of time and energy.

It’s the same when I buy a new sewing machine I could get a singer or a brother but I went for the all singing all dancing Toyota used to have hours of fun with it still going strong 20 years later. 😜

We buy the Dewalt stuff all the time Tony it’s the best value especially when you have loads of batteries knocking around. The plastic they are made from seems to take a bit more abuse than some of the others I’ve dropped one from about 15ft and it was fine all this cordless stuff now much of a muchness it’s the batteries that make the differenc. We usually get a deal on Dewalt drill +impact gun + two 5amp batteries cheaper than buying the impact gun on its own.
I have always thought DeWalt are the best.
However being costly I have managed to succeed with lower quality products for amateur use.

I will have to loosen and then re-tighten my wheelnuts before our next adventure.
I see the Dewalt torque wrench as the failsafe solution and almost essential if you are out in the wilds miles from help.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back