My old starter battery

GMJ

As you may recall a few week ago I had a flat battery and bought and installed a new one.

2 days ago I put the old one on charge and now it is showing 11.8v on my multimeter. As a 12v battery is this good/bad/about right?

If I wanted to now see whether this battery was worth keeping or passing on to someone or whatever, would I be right in thinking that I should now test it daily to see how it holds its charge?

If so, what would be considered to be good? And conversely, bad? In terms of it holding/losing charge.

ta

If it reads 11.8 after a full charge then it’s a gonner unfortunately. You would normally expect around 12.9 on a really good battery (maybe a little less but nothing below 12.5). Each cell should have a charge of around 2.15v with no load an hour after being fully charged so 2.15 x 6 (cells) = 12.9v. Sounds like you may have a cell on the way out.

Last edited:
on a positive note i took some old batteries to the scrapyard not that i’m a hoarder but the last set of habitation and the last veh battery were still in the garage , all 5 batteries came to 119 kgs worth £64:85 almost £13 a battery along with odds & ends of brass & copper payment of £120 + was in my account by the time i got home

Thanks all

I was going to take it to a scrappy

Pity you don't know any livestock farmers, I recently swapped my poor battery for his totally buggered battery for his electric fence.
He got an improved battery for nowt and I scrapped his old battery instead of mine.
Winner, winner chicken dinner
K ;)

Pity you don't know any livestock farmers, I recently swapped my poor battery for his totally buggered battery for his electric fence.
He got an improved battery for nowt and I scrapped his old battery instead of mine.
Winner, winner chicken dinner
K ;)
That is a good point. I have a bunch of batteries to scrap, but the last one I fitted for a customer, I gave the old one to a neighbour for his old Astra as was better than what he had. I should get his old one from him to add to the collection :) .

One of my leisure batteries went down to about 11v this year. It's supposed to be a deep cycle (rated down to 10.5), but wouldn't come back up. When I bought a new battery charger it had a "revive" feature that seems to have worked.

My cousins demonstrated an electric fence to me once when I was about 7 years old. You can quickly hate some people you know.

One of my leisure batteries went down to about 11v this year. It's supposed to be a deep cycle (rated down to 10.5), but wouldn't come back up. When I bought a new battery charger it had a "revive" feature that seems to have worked.
Some battery chargers have a minimum voltage, below which which they will not start up. if you have one of those, one way round it usually is to put the battery in parallel with another battery and the charger - that will get it charging and you can then remove the 'boost' battery after a little while.
FYI, most of the Victron chargers will actually charge a battery from 0V.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back