New Grill

wildebus

Not 100% sure why yet, but decided to get an outside grill for the coming season :)

Bought one of these last week at Costco - https://amzn.to/3Tcrog6
712nTWiiXrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I do have a Cadac Safari Chef BBQ but this I think might be handier as while I like the idea of cooking outside I am not really that much of a BBQer.
Need to sort out a gas hose for it. Be useful if I can use the same type of QR connection that I have fitted to the Cadac as that is very handy as can use either the BBQ tap on the Motorhome or standalone Gas Bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had something similar when I used to go fishing for 3 or 4 nights, two burners were great, toaster less so.

2 in the loft and never used, dont see the point when there is a cooker in the van, ok for tent camping or if house electric goes off.

Funnily, Liz said we should take the little one burner thing I bought for when we were threatened with power cuts a couple of years ago, got 6 gas canisters it's doing nowt so might just do that.

Funnily, Liz said we should take the little one burner thing I bought for when we were threatened with power cuts a couple of years ago, got 6 gas canisters it's doing nowt so might just do that.
I carry one of those. Something they can be handy for ... If the heating packs in, they make a good backup (put near an open window or vent).

Had something similar when I used to go fishing for 3 or 4 nights, two burners were great, toaster less so.
Yup, this is what I am thinking. I like the cadac but not that useful for "wet" stuff in a pan :) two burners should be much more flexible and cooking outside saves smelling out the Motorhome for the whole night.

All about options :)

Interesting, the cadac is a bit of a faff to set up and then clean the bbq plate. This idea seems very neat to store and easy outside cooking. If I can connect to outside bbq point I will get one.

I have a similar one, they are brilliant. Connects to my outside bbq point. Costco, my favourite store :love:

Interesting, the cadac is a bit of a faff to set up and then clean the bbq plate. This idea seems very neat to store and easy outside cooking. If I can connect to outside bbq point I will get one.
I *think* I know what connections I am going to get for maximum flexibility. I'll post up what I get :)

NOTE: any suggestions on ANY gas fittings are posted for my own amusement and interest. everyone needs to do their own research.
(just my get out clause as I am not a gas man :) )

I *think* I know what connections I am going to get for maximum flexibility. I'll post up what I get :)

NOTE: any suggestions on ANY gas fittings are posted for my own amusement and interest. everyone needs to do their own research.
Nor were Flanders & Swann, and look where it landed them ... :ROFLMAO:

'Twas on the Monday morning, the gasman came to call ...
The gas tap wouldn't turn,
I wasn't getting gas at all.
He took out all the skirting boards
To try and find the main,
and I had to call a carpenter to put them back again ...

CHORUS: 'Oh it all makes work for the working man to do'
dum-dum-de-dum ...'

'Tis one of my Party Pieces, the other being 'Albert and the Lion'

It's why I don't get invited to parties ... :p

Steve

If you bought 1 and didn't use it, why the hell did you buy another one and not use it?
They came as a job lot when i bought a boat dealers stock out a few years back when he clossed down, most stuff sold on and a few items left.

Just went to look at the Cadac to confirm its hose size .... 8mm
Currently have two sets of fittings for the Cadac - one Cadac Quick-Release hose that goes to the Motorhome BBQ Point; and another that goes to a Twin-bottle regulator if I want to use away from the MH (actually is handy. used it in the gerden, for example).
So plan is to buy another 8mm hose to fit onto the Vango Grill. This one is priced ok and has got a high rating and review count on Amazon - https://amzn.to/49QqY4x
And a pair of QR Connectors for 8mm hose. This one here - https://amzn.to/4bRrGjQ . Again, priced ok and high rating and reviews on Amazon.

Thinking if I fit the supply side of the new QR connectors to the BBQ Point Hose and to the Twin-bottle hose, and then the feed side to one of the Cadac Hoses and to the Vango Grill Hose, I should be able to use either Cadac or Vango with either Twin-Bottle or MH BBQ Point. I would need to get another pair of Jubilee clips, but that is easily done.

Sorted :)

Vango Grill on BBQ Point
by David, on Flickr

I used the parts I mentioned in post #17 and worked out just as I wanted :)
Adapted the existing hoses to end up with a couple of shorter hoses up - one for the Cadac (which is removable) and one for the Vango (which is permanent) - and fitted the male QC Connectors on those; Then a couple of longer hoses - one with the Bullfinch BBQ Connector and one with a Gas Bottle regulator - and fitted the female QC Connectors on those (the female ones have the auto-shutoff valves so if the cooker unit hose is disconnected, the gas is closed off).
This is the hose set for the Vango when connected to the BBQ Point

Hose on Vango
by David, on Flickr

And these are the other two hoses - with the Bottle reg and the Cadac fitting.

Hose Selection
by David, on Flickr
By simple mix and match, can use either Cadac or Vango on either Gas Bottle or BBQ point. Perfect :)

As an aside, I didn't really need to buy the new hose as could have used the original Bottle hose, but happy enought I did as that was dated 2017 so not that far off expiry anyway - so took that old hose out the picture entirely.

David, I very much like the idea of using a 'hop up' as I know it to place the cooker on. I have a small gas bbq which I usually place on a table, this looks much better.

David, I very much like the idea of using a 'hop up' as I know it to place the cooker on. I have a small gas bbq which I usually place on a table, this looks much better.
Used that purely as a handy place to test here, but you are right ... if you had a place to carry it (I don't, but you have :) ) it would be a great multipurpose secure platform to have with you.

I used to use the standard Autotrail table which is ok, but I decided to instead carry a Kapma Kitchen Major which I bought years ago as the only time I used the table is to put the Cadac BBQ on. I also like the windbreak add-on which also acts as a splash guard.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back