new inverter

Saw an American YT video the other day, a "How to fit a Renogy 2000w inverter". (Paraphrased)
Yup, you guessed it, no fuse.
My question is, Across the pond they use 110 volt system. As there isn't a fuse shown in the instructions, would that mean at 110v a fuse isn't required, but if fitted in Europe at 240/220, it most certainly is?

This fuse thing is becoming a hobby horse of mine :mad: :rolleyes:
Shame,Oh the shame.He did put a 200amp fuse on the dc pos side. I'll hang my head in shame:oops:

Can only recommend Renogy (bar instructions I never read them anyway!)If you email them quick polite reply but in my experience you won't get proper answers to even slightly technical questions (wording of replies suggested girl in Office in china) Be patient keep emailing the same question and eventually you get a tech person and a all the info you want.Not ideal but it is a lot better than the no name importers! The products I've looked inside are well specs and good build quality( 3kw solar controller,had it 5yrs,2kw inverter,30amp 12v charger ) Just fitted Renogy B 2B charger with built in mppt charges leisure and starter batts so no need for winter hook up with decent panels in my case 2 X 200w cut cell provide more than enough to keep batteries full even on grey dull days cost of panels B2B with mppt under£400
A bit less than the blue ones may or may not last as long but who knows me or the van may be write offs before the Renogy kit.

Shame,Oh the shame.He did put a 200amp fuse on the dc pos side. I'll hang my head in shame:oops:
Del, you might enjoy this video that for some reason came up in my Youtube recommendations :D ....

(actually, in that video there is some interesting info for mere mortals with Motorhomes regarding fuse sizes, their current capability and times (put it this way - a 5000A fuse takes a lot more than 5000A, same as 200A will take a lot more than 200A to blow)

Del, you might enjoy this video that for some reason came up in my Youtube recommendations :D ....

(actually, in that video there is some interesting info for mere mortals with Motorhomes regarding fuse sizes, their current capability and times (put it this way - a 5000A fuse takes a lot more than 5000A, same as 200A will take a lot more than 200A to blow)
There goes my payload 😬

I realise that's just a test setup, but that is definitely not the way to wire it.
Firstly, the cables between the batteries should be much thicker than that and as short as possible. No two foot loop. Just from one battery to the other.
Secondly, the connections to the bank should be across the batteries, with the positives (power in and power out) connected to one battery, ad the negatives to the other.
If you are drawing 3000 watts at 11.9v, after allowing for 5% loss in the inverter, you are taking at least 265 amps. That requires serious copper, as short and as fat as possible. Put the inverter right next to the battery bank and size the cables to match.

Thanks for that David, I will have to check out the existing charger and see what it is capable of.

I took a couple of pics of chargers in the van. I'm guessing the one marked 230v works when on EHU only.
Couldn't see any numbers on the blue one. I have no idea (as I've already said) what is going on.
I have read in the instruction manual that when the leisure batteries reach full charge, 2A will then go to the vehicle battery.
My assumption is this will happen whether on EHU, alternator or solar.

IMG20230515161331.jpgIMG20230515161307.jpg

I took a couple of pics of chargers in the van. I'm guessing the one marked 230v works when on EHU only.
Couldn't see any numbers on the blue one. I have no idea (as I've already said) what is going on.
I have read in the instruction manual that when the leisure batteries reach full charge, 2A will then go to the vehicle battery.
My assumption is this will happen whether on EHU, alternator or solar.

View attachment 67481
This Schaudt unit is a 25A B2B. So for charging when driving.
It is actually a nice unit. I bought one to test and used it to recharge my 500Ah battery bank to see how well it worked.... Very clean steady output for hour after hour and didn't even get hot. I'd keep that, or possibly if you can find one, swap it for the Schaudt Booster WA 121545 (which is oddly an upto 70A unit). the WA units are standard fitment on new Hymers I understand.

So a CBE Mains Charger, upto 16A Charge Current.
Now this doesn't have a Lithium Profile, but I remember speaking to John at Alpha Batteries about keeping one of these in use when fitting a pair of 100Ah Lithiums and if he envisaged any issues. From memory, he said it would be fine.
The charge voltages are actually quite low for Lead at 14.1V, but that is a nice voltage for Lithium as it happens.

For the size of Lithium Battery you are looking at, both the units are a little smaller than ideal, but are certainly decent quality brands and will do the job, albeit slower than ideal.

This Schaudt unit is a 25A B2B. So for charging when driving.
It is actually a nice unit. I bought one to test and used it to recharge my 500Ah battery bank to see how well it worked.... Very clean steady output for hour after hour and didn't even get hot. I'd keep that, or possibly if you can find one, swap it for the Schaudt Booster WA 121545 (which is oddly an upto 70A unit). the WA units are standard fitment on new Hymers I understand.

So a CBE Mains Charger, upto 16A Charge Current.
Now this doesn't have a Lithium Profile, but I remember speaking to John at Alpha Batteries about keeping one of these in use when fitting a pair of 100Ah Lithiums and if he envisaged any issues. From memory, he said it would be fine.
The charge voltages are actually quite low for Lead at 14.1V, but that is a nice voltage for Lithium as it happens.

For the size of Lithium Battery you are looking at, both the units are a little smaller than ideal, but are certainly decent quality brands and will do the job, albeit slower than ideal.

Thanks again for that David.
It's nice to know what I have on board is perhaps not ideal but up to the job.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back