new inverter

It’s like having 400ah’s of lithium. There ain’t no substitute for cubes. 😬

I went 3000w cos I’ve always bought “good enough “, only to have had to replace kit when I improve the van.
With the 3000w inverter, I can use virtually anything in the van. While weaning the van away from lpg.

A current example of this is the Victron 100/30 solar controller, bought to replace a cheap Chinese one. The new panels will exceed it’s capabilities. If I’d got the 100/50 initially, I’d saved more than a few quid.

Hobby horse time? If fitting the Renogy inverter. Check cable sizes and add a suitable fuse.
Yes I know I’ve said it before, and trust me, I’ll probably say it again. The instructions supplied are a bloody disgrace.
You can just use another Victron 100/30 and network them together and it's really easy to do Del.

Regards,
Del

Cheyenne you really need to fit a fuse between the batteries and the inverter I see yiu have a switch but I believe its rated at 600amps so it won't protect the cable .
hi exwindsurfer. i appreciate your concerns about the fuse like i said i might get round to fitting one . i don't use the inverter like you guys do to run your vans its completely separate from my m/h its a standby system for pulling in laybys for bite to eat or on site for months at a time & then its only to cook outside . the m/h came with 2 /110 agm habitation battery's powered from a 100w panel . run the test microwave 800w / 1200w hairdryer / electric frying pan 1500w . non of the cables got even warm & the twin fans only came on after the 1500w was on for 5 minutes not like my old inverter & battery's . this system might seem to a lot of people a waste of money for something part time BUT its like having a spare tyre its better to have one when you need it .Cheyanne

hi exwindsurfer. i appreciate your concerns about the fuse like i said i might get round to fitting one . i don't use the inverter like you guys do to run your vans its completely separate from my m/h its a standby system for pulling in laybys for bite to eat or on site for months at a time & then its only to cook outside . the m/h came with 2 /110 agm habitation battery's powered from a 100w panel . run the test microwave 800w / 1200w hairdryer / electric frying pan 1500w . non of the cables got even warm & the twin fans only came on after the 1500w was on for 5 minutes not like my old inverter & battery's . this system might seem to a lot of people a waste of money for something part time BUT its like having a spare tyre its better to have one when you need it .Cheyanne
Seperate or not it can still overload and catch fire 🤔
Ask @Trotter

Regards,
Del

The instructions and cable sizes given by Renogy are an absolute disgrace. It's the kind of stuff you'd expect from China, not a supposedly respected company.
Would I buy from Renogy again, not on your Nelly.
Following the instructions and using the supplied cables nearly set the van on fire. Luckily I smelled the smoke before to much damage was caused.
Change of underwear required:mad:

Never knew you wore ought thought with your past it was always commando
on another note mate did you report all this to them and jive them up dereck

Last edited:
Never knew you wore ought thought withbyour past it was always commando
on another note mate did you report all this to them and jive them up dereck
Always carry a pair or two for special occasions, or in the case of emergency.🙄 Something to do with leakage, 💧.

Report them, no there’s probably something in the T&C’s that says, be aware, our products are crap. Life’s too short to read everything. And very nearly was.

I’ve tried time and time again to warn others. If they wish to go their own way, then so be it.

The instructions and cable sizes given by Renogy are an absolute disgrace. It's the kind of stuff you'd expect from China, not a supposedly respected company.
Following the instructions and using the supplied cables nearly set the van on fire. Luckily I smelled the smoke before to much damage was caused.
Just a little comment .....
I know the general opinion is "everything is made in China anyway", but I am pretty sure ALL of the products that Renogy sell is both made in China AND designed in China and NOT to any specifications dictated by Renogy. They are a company that by and large find products that they want to sell and have their labels applied to them, but I doubt if any Renogy-labelled kit is unique to Renogy.
It is a similar company to Photonic Universe - who have a quite of a bit of own-label stuff but again is available elsewhere.
What I believe is true of Renogy (and Photonic Universe for that matter) is they do take care to get decent kit, so generally you can trust 'their' product.

But this is very different compared to say a company like Victron, who in the main design their own product (there are a few exceptions), and own the product & development of it, despite the fact they have it made in Factories in India, China, etc. (same as say Apple, who have their phones made in China), and the cost of that design ownership comes with a price, but also provides quality and backup (IMO).

And you don't HAVE to farm out production to the Far East either. If you take Ablemail as an example, who make a range of B2B Chargers, they are designed in house in the UK and MADE in the UK, with component parts sourced from UK manufacturers when possible.

To be fare Del the unit itself I think is a good bit of kit but the instruction and cables let them down .

To be fare Del the unit itself I think is a good bit of kit but the instruction and cables let them down .
were the cables undersized and stiff? in 99% of cases, cables supplied with inverters should just be binned.

were the cables undersized and stiff? in 99% of cases, cables supplied with inverters should just be binned.
I agree with both of you, BUT……
These products are supplied as, good to go, fit and forget, to the general public. Not specifically to trained auto electricians . I’m pretty sure AIB wouldn’t have paid out for a burnt out van, caused by my fitting the inverter to the instruction manual. The cable and fitting instructions are not fit for use.
If fitted with a suitable fuse and 50mm cable, they are great bits of kit.

These products are supplied as, good to go, fit and forget, to the general public. Not specifically to trained auto electricians . I’m pretty sure AIB wouldn’t have paid out for a burnt out van, caused by my fitting the inverter to the instruction manual. The cable and fitting instructions are not fit for use.
Del, my comment was not to excuse Renogy. Your expectations were perfectly reasonable.

I think they would be better off getting a proper tech guy to write the instructions and DON"T provide any cables 🤔

Regards,
Del

i got the renology one about a year ago because my other had a faulty capacitor at the rolls-royce club , apart from the victron the renology was the stand out from the comparison sites but david did say double up the cables as a temporary measure and to get some 50mm ones for when i fit it properly

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back