new wing fitting

marymary

I recently bought a vw Caddy very reasonable price but very high mileage, it needs a new offside wing which I can get delivered to me or wherever is doing it but then obv need it fitting. Question is who do I look at to fit it? Is it a bodyshop place? I hve had one quote but the cost of it is nearly half what I paid for the camper! Its a mk3 08 reg. Now years ago when I was 18 ish my bf at the time replaced the wing on my Renault 5 easily enough…..and no, I’m not still in touch more’s the pity. I’d love to have the goolies to fit it but aged nearly 60 and a laughable history with lego, mecanno, gadgets and tools I think its a bit too late to teach this ole dawg new tricks….When I got the quote they said it needs replacing, I was hoping it could be treated without replcing, bit of rubbing down etc, but no, it will be as bad a few weeks later they say, bad bubbling mean oxidisation…all a bit techie pour moi…….

They are simple e to fit,
Join the vw caddy owners group on facebook and ask on there,you don’t need a body shop any competent diy mechanic will be able to do it easily enough

Bolt on wing ....

Is pretty easy to deal with barring the Odd hidden fixing ...

Weld on wings are a heap more involved ...
Needing cutting off and welding back on .

Not a clue what year caddy you have or whether they're bolted/welded I'm afraid

Bolt on wing ....

Is pretty easy to deal with barring the Odd hidden fixing ...

Weld on wings are a heap more involved ...
Needing cutting off and welding back on .

Not a clue what year caddy you have or whether they're bolted/welded I'm afraid
Looking at the profile pic it is a mk3 so definitely a bolt on wing

Painting is the hardest part but most car DIY shops will have a rattle can the right colour, Just watch a few YouTube videos of the process and depending how precious you are, go for it none of us with skills started out with them.

Painting is the hardest part but most car DIY shops will have a rattle can the right colour, Just watch a few YouTube videos of the process and depending how precious you are, go for it none of us with skills started out with them.
Ratle cans are cr-p, get the correct match paint as there will be many shades, 2 pack is the best as no mission of the airdry/oven water base being done at home.

Nonsense Trev, I've used them loads of times with no problem of course not as good as with a decent spray set up, but good prep and patience is all you need to do a good job.

Nonsense Trev, I've used them loads of times with no problem of course not as good as with a decent spray set up, but good prep and patience is all you need to do a good job.
Its acrilic paint and useless, know in the trade as bodgers paint, how would you blend it in to the next panel, no mission.

Ratle cans are cr-p, get the correct match paint as there will be many shades, 2 pack is the best as no mission of the airdry/oven water base being done at home.
No sand blasting ? ;)

Cellulose in spray cans here I think, it is a way over thinned though so you have to do many thin coats and build it up.

Cellulose in spray cans here I think, it is a way over thinned though so you have to do many thin coats and build it up.
Stopped using celo 30/40 years back in the motor trade, now they use water base and 2 pk lac over it, expensive job these days, i much prefaired industrial work when i owned spraycraft LTD, is this a big job or what LOL.oil tank.jpg

Delusional if only you had the foresight.

It was for big jobs, at home i use a binks 630 or iwata w71 side cup, chinesse copies are cheap and work well.View attachment 69895
"
It was for big jobs"

Mine come in various shades of brown Trev, never seen the point in painting them, be careful you may become a tend setter, I might go for pink, what's your preference?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back