Newbie from Norfolk

CarolynCo

Hello everyone - we are taking delivery of a Fiat Ducato next week. What is the difference between a campervan and a motor home? We are restricted with the length of our driveway so that forced us to go down the compact route. It's a Savannah Gold - just 5.1m long. Does it qualify? Thanks All, Carolyn

Hi, welcome 👋👋
Usually a motorhome has a custom made body and a campervan uses a normal van.....call it what you want😀 just enjoy.

Thanks you Yorkslass! May I ask another Q? I am thinking about how best to kit out this van - we want to have a trial in October. Is it best to buy saucepans and use the hob or is it possible t o plug in one of these electric skillets? I realise it may depend on the van and power supplies, but what is most people's preference for cooking? Or for boiling water for tea - use gas or buy a small electric kettle? Thanks to anyone who reads this and has any advice! Cheers, Carolyn

Some people describe anything that is a panel Van conversion as a campervan, and anything that is coachbuilt as a motorhome, but I don't think that's a valid distribution.

As far as I'm concerned, a motorhome is self-contained with the facilities, including toilet and a shower, or at least washing facilities with running hot water. Basically a home with a motor.

A campervan is a van you camp in. Like a typical tent, no toilet, no shower.

Body type, size, construction are not what differentiates them.

Well I have a VW campervan and I have enjoyed being a member of this group for over 5 years. Welcome to a great gang/tribe/group of people who have camping vans and motor homes.

Thanks you Yorkslass! May I ask another Q? I am thinking about how best to kit out this van - we want to have a trial in October. Is it best to buy saucepans and use the hob or is it possible t o plug in one of these electric skillets? I realise it may depend on the van and power supplies, but what is most people's preference for cooking? Or for boiling water for tea - use gas or buy a small electric kettle? Thanks to anyone who reads this and has any advice! Cheers, Carolyn
That's down to how much power you have. If your going to use sites then you can go all electric. If your planning to go off grid your better using gas unless you have lots of solar and batteries.

A distinction I have seen and I think is quite good is that you live IN a Motorhome and OUT of a Campervan.
I tend to think of a campervan having no shower or toilet room - and any loo typically is a Portapotti in a cupboard that gets pulled out to use. A Motorhome has a dedicated shower & toilet enclosure.

I think it is worth having a portable electric hob to use to cook on and boil a kettle on when hooked up. save on your own LPG use and also much more efficient than gas as well.

As far as being a member of this forum if you think you have a Campervan rather than a Motorhome, not important. there are members without either and members with Caravans.

Thank you to both Wildebus and to Yorkslass for your very helpful remarks. I totally get what you are saying about conserving energy if you are not hooked up to a power sup[ply. I will bear that in mind. I have been having fun buying kit and look forward to trying out the van this month sometime. Many thanks, Carolyn!

Hi welcome along from Scotland. Why not try it out on your driveway learning about your motorhome/campervan. Great knowledge and experience on the forum. So ask away. Enjoy your adventures. 👏 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Hi and welcome to the forum. Personally I call everything both names! Don't think it matters, and the DVLA call everything motor caravan or van with windows. Try not to buy too many gadgets which will sit in the cupboard taking up valuable storage space and adding to weight. Basic first, then upgrade when the need is identified. Electric gadgets are great if you plan to always be on hookup. Easy to be seduced into spending money on something never used though.

Welcome from another Norfolk member. I can honestly say that you will have ten times more fun with this group than you ever will with the large camping clubs.
Where abouts in Norfolk are you, we are in Attleborough.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back