OBD II Diagnostics

nabsim

I want to obtain some diagnostic kit for my Sprinter but no idea really what is the best option. I don’t want to spend a fortune but do want something that works. It can be stand alone or software and cable to connect to a laptop. It needs to work with a Sprinter 2005 316cdi as well

What is about these days that’s worth getting?

Thanking you in advance :)

Firstly does your sprinter have an OBDII connector?

As a 2005 model it may have the round type not the current version

Though you can get an adapter to convert from it

I have one that i never used Its just a short cable with the diferent connectors at either end

That’s a good question, I hav
Firstly does your sprinter have an OBDII connector?

As a 2005 model it may have the round type not the current version

Though you can get an adapter to convert from it

I have one that i never used Its just a short cable with the diferent connectors at either end
e been reading some old threads on a USA Sprinter forum which says it does and I have looked as some diagnostic kit for ‘my model’ but not actually seen the port yet. It certainly isn’t a round one next to the clutch as I have the sprint shift gearbox :)

When Caz has woken up I will investigate a bit further

it will be on left hand side / nearside as shown in that link it will be same position regardless of rhd or lhd

So when its safe to do so open left hand door and check foot well against wall above wheel arch

Yes found it, it does have the round one on the left

The adapter cable i was referring too

Though i have a ScanguageII permenantly connected to my obdii output and its on my dash

That app obdfacile that a shared the link to could be handy ??

https://www.outilsobdfacile.com/

Its developed in france and you use your own elm327 interface or buy theirs

You can also install their app for free (
basic facilities ) for free

Just make sure that your sprinter works with it

I’ve used ELM327 (Chinese, Fleabay one) with various software (EOBD-FACILE is one) for several years. It depends what you want to do with it. We had it to check the codes when the engine MIL light kept coming on and then clearing them. Endless issues with EGR/Rail pressure/ turbo. It was very useful to get rid of the ‘limp home’ mode. It Is NOT an equivalent for the manufacturers diagnostics but it gives you lots of info from the CAN bus on the vehicle.
Fortunately, our problems are now past - EGR remapped and running as sweet as you like. But I would not leave home without it.

Initially I want to see if I can find the cause of poor warm starting but I intend having the van a while so worth getting something now

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back