Obtaining lpg in cold conditions

Trotter

I've never had to buy lpg in the winter time. Would there be a problem ?

Not sure what you mean here ? Propane for winter use of course, our local Garage has LPG for refilling and our local Hardware shop has bottles of both Propane and Butane on sale also Barbie gas in bottles so I see no problems here ?

Propane works fine in the winter, butane is best avoided. Are you exchanging bottles or refilling from a pump?

We filled up at Morrisons couple of days ago no problem. Get the FILLPG app and it will give the locations and price, most are updated fairly regularly.

Never had a problem, as said Propane only.

LPG . As in lpg from a pump at a fuel station. I’ve not had to refill in the depths of winter before. A recent YouTube video contributor said he was unable to fill a cylinder due to the temperature being below zero.

I am aware that lpg prepared for road vehicles is altered in its butane/ propane mix for different seasons.

My badly asked question should have read.
Would I be able to buy lpg in very cold weather. Or because of the cold weather, the lpg pump would be out of order.
It’s likely, I’m going be away for a couple of weeks early in the New Year. Demi has a 6kg calor, and a 11kg refillable. If I couldn’t refill the lpg tank, I’d have to exchange the calor.

I am aware that butane isn’t the better gas to use in winter. But the tank is within the van, although in a gas locker. So it should be protected from extreme outside temperatures.

Like trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs lol
Not sure that is very helpful, Dave 😂

Last edited:
LPG . As in lpg from a pump at a fuel station. I’ve not had to refill in the depths of winter before. A recent YouTube video contributor said he was unable to fill a cylinder due to the temperature being below zero.

I am aware that lpg prepared for road vehicles is altered in its butane/ propane mix for different seasons.

My badly asked question was,
Would I be able to buy lpg in very cold weather. Or because of the cold weather, the lpg pump be out of order.

Not sure that is very helpful, Dave
Well now I know what your question is I have filled my tanks in winter no problem, Sorry for the miss under standing Trotter

Hi Derek, I refilled my gaslow recently at around freezing point. It's an attended tank at a local garage. The chap filling it for me said its very slow filling today because of the cold. I don't know if it gets too cold to use.

The gas is pumped in liquid form at high pressure and the temperature should make no difference to filling. UK forecourt lpg is 100% propane but some European countries use a propane/butane mix which is fine in summer but might cause problems if you still have a tank full of it come winter.

I’ll put all the blame onto Mel’s Van YouTube channel then.

Oh! And me over reacting 😀

If anything the tank/bottle being filled being cold will be an advantage....

As bottle temp rises the pressure rises too, making it harder work to force liquid or vapour in....

When using reclaim bottles for refrigerant at work bottle temp gets high enough to trip out the reclaim station on HP (High pressure)

We often have a large bucket of cold water on standby in summertime.

Once in the Outer Hebrides during the beast from the east storm we could not fill up with gas as the only lpg on the island had got water in the dispenser and had frozen solid but it was around -10/12. deg.

About 1975 I was driving refrigerated trucks with hanging beef the fridge motor's ran on lpg no problem filling up in the harsh winters we had then and we had to crank the pumps by hand that's when men where men :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

About 1975 I was driving refrigerated trucks with hanging beef the fridge motor's ran on lpg no problem filling up in the harsh winters we had then and we had to crank the pumps by hand that's when men where men :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
About the same time, fridges on BOC Transhield trailers ran on liquid nitrogen. At -196C.One morning, unbeknown to all. There had been a pipe fracture, which emptied the cylinders directly into the trailer body. Ever seen a grape shatter on hitting the ground.
Now, that's cold.
Marks and Spencer, Brent Cross were a delivery short that morning. Frozen sandwich anyone.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back