Off grid upgrade

tonyb186

Free Member

Hi , Hello to everyone.

I live in South Wales and would like to upgrade the off grid side of my motorhome. Does anyone know anyone in my area who carries out this type of work. Id like a lithium battery , inverter , another solar panel, smart solar charge and a 30 amp dc to dc fitted. Hope that makes sense and thanks.:)

Hi Tony, you can buy the parts yourself using advice from the very wise and experienced people on the three forums here, and there is a website that has mobile techs that can come to you and fit it all, if you're up to it it's also a possible DIY project, and again there are people on here to guide you if you fancied having a go.https://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

MCEA

Personally, and I'm sure some with them would disagree, but I would never put a lithium battery in a van I'm going to be sleeping in or leaving my dogs in. I'm sure they have some benefits, but I've heard far too many reports of them going on fire to take the risk.

Not seen much about motorhome batteries going or any actually.

Fit lead carbon batts, 13/1500 cycles and £200 a go for 100ah, two would be just right but if going long of grid double to 4 batts.

Personally, and I'm sure some with them would disagree, but I would never put a lithium battery in a van I'm going to be sleeping in or leaving my dogs in. I'm sure they have some benefits, but I've heard far too many reports of them going on fire to take the risk.
You have been sucked into the world of misinformation and sensationalism.

I challenge you to find a SINGLE report of a LiFePO4 Lithium Battery going on fire due to the battery technology.

You use a laptop. Do you remember to unplug that from the mains charger when you are not near it? And your phone? The battery in that Laptop and the phone is FAR more at risk of fire than a current Motorhome (ie. LiFePO4) Lithium Battery

I challenge you to find a SINGLE report of a LiFePO4 Lithium Battery going on fire due to the battery technology.

You use a laptop. Do you remember to unplug that from the mains charger when you are not near it? And your phone? The battery in that Laptop and the phone is FAR more at risk of fire than a current Motorhome (ie. LiFePO4) Lithium Battery

Fair enough, it appears you are correct.

I've been warned off "lithium" batteries in general in the past so have pretty much ignored them, but having just researched them it seems LiFePO4 are probably the safest.

Apologies.

Wrong type of lithium, the type you'll fit in a van are very safe, just to back up wildebus.

Fair enough, it appears you are correct.

I've been warned off "lithium" batteries in general in the past so have pretty much ignored them, but having just researched them it seems LiFePO4 are probably the safest.

Apologies.
Overall, LiFePO4 batteries are safer than Lead Acid. There are quite a few examples of explosions with Lead Acid batteries off-gassing and a spark causing ignition :(

I don't know if anyone still does it, but there used to be a trend - more in the US - of 'repurposing' EV batteries, typically from Nissan Leafs, into Motorhome Lithium Battery Banks. I would be very wary of those, but I don't think you tend to see those any more now LiFePO4 has become much more affordable.

This is the start of an interesting series of videos on converting a Leaf Battery into an RV Battery

I think from what I recall (I watched this years ago) he did a very neat job, but I would still be too nervous about that setup in a vehicle I spent a lot of time in, with a fair bit asleep.
But it is still an interesting exercise and having now posted it, I will probably watch it again :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back